It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survival group reality check

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I have seen a ton of post mainly from our UK brothers asking to form survival groups.

Ive never seen the lure of survival groups my self, but I guess my family is my survival group.

What I would like to know is, how many of you folks interested in starting and or joining a survival group have your basics down?

How many have there BOB's done and ready? how many know how to use the survival tools they have collected.

Groups can be a tool for sure but belonging to a group is no excuse for not knowing how to survive alone.

And as some of you have seen recently beware of people claiming to want to form a survival group but asking you for money. I guess they think survivalist are stupid.

Just a little food for thought.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't know about that as I have never been personally approached for $.
It happens, and sometimes even necessary.

As I see when it comes to survival groups and gatherings, many people are willing to talk all day about implementing the idea, but when it comes down to the reality of even the basics they fall short, we all do.

Nothing worth holding onto comes easy.

My most prevalent thought is that when it comes down, most people would prefer a nice cozy FEMA concentration camp to what it really takes to survive in harmony apart from the NWO and its dying concepts for humanity.

Peace, I hope you find what you are looking for and all your needs are met from your search for people of like mind.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
AA. with the greatest respect you've gotta remember us Brits are not in the same league as you Americans. Our style is likely gonna be different to you guys.

In the US you can stockpile arms and the family unit in rural areas is a lot bigger (IMO).
In the UK families are a lot smaller and population centers are all over the place. But we're a small country and outdoorsmanship isn't even considered by most people, hence the standard is lot lower.

Having the basics down is hard to answer? What do you define as the basics?
Bringing 5 years worth of supplies into a shelter in the countryside and living off it is one end of the scale. Going out into the unknown with a knife and not much else is the other.

For me personally and a few UK folk on here have BOBs.
They are not hard to put together. It took me less than half a day to sort out, but I did have some of the bits and pieces already.
At least with one of these you can get your sht together, get away from the problem, team up and come up with a plan in SitX.
One of the tools (I hope!) for a meet in the future is that more learned person knowing hunting skills or at least something could pass it on to others.
We only have one life so we might as well put it to some us.
This I think could be a decent reason for starting a group.

Yeah, we've recently heard of a few cranks going down the 'give me money and we'll save you biz'
Screw that and screw them.
When that TT gink came on here the first thing I said on the U2U to him was the logistics of us getting food sorted. He didn't like that, he wanted everyone to hand over the cash. Bad move on his part.
Like I said in one of the other posts, In the UK we don't have the same distance and expanse of land the US has for a group to get togther.

For meets and groups it's ten times easier to do and without being too cheeky I think as a nation Brits tend to pull together.
In times of trouble, we'd have to pull together, small bands of us waiting for the sht to die down or live free until civilisation got back on its feet sounds a pretty wise thing to prepare for IMO.
Besides which if your stuck in the wilderness having some learned experience on what to do goes a long way.
Yeah sure we can learn on the internet but nothing beats hands on.
At least that's how I would grasp something like outdoorsmanship anyway.

WR

[edit on 18-5-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I never U2U'd TT but had that sucker figured out.
he really asked for cash and then claims he didnt on his posts
he must be really stupid or my perception radar is on red alert and can spot cranks a mile off.

Glad we sorted it out with the quickness in my opinion.

how you doing fellas.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by Dar Kuma]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Hey AA, I'm still in the process of putting my BOB together, what I've done is give myself a mental checklist of essential skills to learn (building shelters, hunting etc). Once I've learned these skills I'm adding things to my BOB which would make these easier.

The british wilderness and the american wilderness are different kettles of fish, I dont think I would die of hunger in britain unless a major sitx occured, the wildlife is small but theres plenty of it and theres plenty of freshwater. To live in the american wilderness you need to be a different breed of survivalist because of its vastness.

I think in britain survival groups will be essential because of how small it is and how dense the population is, theres plenty of bad apples out there so safety in numbers will be the best bet.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Although i'm not really too fond of the idea of survival groups, there are a few family and close friends that would compose my group should it all go down. The basics means you can take care of yourself already, so that you cna be in well enough condition to be of use to the group and to not be a burden. I don't expect anyone to help me survive, but with a group there are a lot more options and a lot of projects like building and agriculture become more feasible and practical. If it's just me, i'd prefer to live off the land and not do too much building or farming, because i just don't care to do all that work by myself to feed myself. I'll eat whatever i hunt or forage for. A small group can make it easy to work a few acres of crop without being a slave to it, a few hours work a day divided amongst a few people can make for a happy and well fed unit if it's done right under proper leadership and organization.

The crew i got already will be a good team, with diverse skills and abilities, and we're all able to work as a team, as one unit. We've worked together before in busy high stress dangerous environments and got the job done. All the people on my team have proven they can move fast and silent, shoot straight and keep cool heads in armed standoff type stuff when it's time for that, as well as some possessing martial arts skills. All are true survivalists and are at home in the bush, some more than others, but we could all walk into the bush with a knife and be okay.

So, the basics really means that if the group wasn't around you wouldn't die, and you can pull your own weight with whatever skills and methods you choose.

On my team everyone can cook very well, i have a member who can clean guns, reload ammo, and can keep cool in tense situations, someone who's survived armed standoffs with feds. Another member who can build well, we can frame up a structure from a pile of materials pretty quickly. Also a good gardener and good with animals, with sniper aim the ability to run for 40 miles . I've got people who are good with horses and animal tending, people who can make tools and fleck stone using primitive methods, people who can hunt, and we all get along with each other like we were family, which we are.

A bunch of people who don't really know each other with shiny new "survival" gear and a pile of contradicting books telling you how to supposedly do it is not much of a survival group.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
And that my brothers is exactly the sort of survivalist group that either doesn't exist in the UK or keeps a silent profile.

I'm not knocking you DS but it does sound as if you want to get into a UK vs US pssing contest on who's the hardest or best organised.
Remember us Brits are not Stateside and aren't armed to the teeth to operate as militiamen like that etc. We aren't multi-skilled, rangers, spec ops trained folk for the most part.

But we learn and adapt pretty well on the fly. We also tend to pretty friendly to like minded people (being a small island).
If some of us are newbies to this gig then that's just the way it goes.

Putting your trust in strangers may sound nuts, but then so does driving down the street knowing that the other guy coming the other way could flick his wheel and smash into you. You both don't do it cause you'll fck each other up.
Hence you wouldn't find a bunch of survivalist in their group knifing each other to death either. A dramatic explaination I know, but just a way of pointing out something

Rome wasn't built in a day and these things take time.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies..
All the people on my team have proven they can move fast and silent, shoot straight and keep cool heads in armed standoff type stuff when it's time for that, as well as some possessing martial arts skills...

Yeah..Coz none of us in the UK have ever been a licensed boxer or martial artist or spend their free time practising skills..

Great for you mates,but how many times do I hear of groups like yours getting busted with crates of weapons coz you never know where to draw the line..

As for ready..
I work 'on the road' and there's ALWAYS an emergency BOB locked in the vehicle..

The UK survival groups seem to be showing a desire for PRACTICAL survival..shelter,camp craft,locating/using resources.. ie NOT running around with Rambo knives stuffed down their Y-fronts.

Lets just put it down to cultural differences yeah!!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Like yourself AA, I consider my immediate family my survival group. We're all familiar with the five basic survival skills, and practice them whenever time permits. As cold as it may sound, the loss of one team member will not seriously effect the group as a whole.

Each member is required to develop one special skill that they must teach to the rest of the group. i.e. first aid, CPR, and reloading.

We have individual bug out bags, and practice redundancy in our gear. Should anyone get separated, they're adequately equipped to survive on their own until they can reach the rallying point we've designated.

I believe organizing a survival group online is an impossible task. There's too many trust issues involved.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Guys we'll have to agree to differ on this one.
Like Agent T says, you folks are not doing yourself any favours slagging us off for not being experts.
On the trust thing and the attitude I've noticed from some dudes -
Look, I guess being from the UK makes me a bit more of an optimist in the whole survival group formation.

Optismism is probably one of the biggest things you need in survival.
Look at Bear Grylls, that guy might not be the best survivalist on TV, but he's always optimistic, even when freezing his nuts of in mountain rivers.
And right now some of you boys stateside sound pessimistic

It's getting late.
Night folks

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hmm its looking like this is turning into a pissing contest. Wasn't meant to be. My sole purpose for starting this thread was to tell people that in my opinion you can not be a productive member of any group in less you can take care of yourself.

Actually tho its kinda good it turned out this way There is differences among all nations. It's never a bad thing to learn other ways, including attitudes. The UK is more laid back then the US. We as Americans can learn from that. I also believe that the Brits can learn a little from our gung ho attitude.

Well as usual just my opinion.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I know some americans as i post on another message board, I guess what I'm saying is that I have learnt pretty much the american attitude.
Call it a skill if you like

Over the last couple of days I have been reading about trapping and how to make a trap.

Also how to skin a rabbit, I read a little on it last night but I was pretty tired and went to bed early, I hope to spend a few days out and about just to see how things go.

This could well be cool cause It'll give the bridge a test run while doing some practical theory, Allthough if its breeding season for the rabbits I will have to wait.

Im not that cruel about killing a mother who has little rabbit babies.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hey Dar Kuma, the way I learned how to skin and gut a rabbit was have someone teach me, if you dont know anyone though the nets the best bet for finding the info, this lets you test your trapping skills as well, set up a few snares over some rabbit holes and try and catch a couple its actually very simple once you have the technique worked out. Catch at least two so you've got a spare incase you balls up the first one.
Make them strong! the first few snares I made weren't strong enough and the rabbits just plowed through them.

good luck!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Initially I was interested in joining a survival group. Hubby and I have had very basic kits together for some time now. After much discussion and soul searching we decided that we would probably do better just worrying about ourselves.

It is much easier to feed two people then a whole group.

So in the end my survival group consists of two people. I can see pros and cons in that. I don't want to be alone in case something were to happen to him - I think for me that would be the biggest benefit of being part of a group. I'm not so naive as to think I can physically protect myself against adversaries ( men ) that are going to be physically stronger then me. Of course, he may not be able to do much against a group of adversaries either.

A survival group that meets and learns together pre sitx is fine. I'd love to be part of a weekend camping trip where we share knowledge with one another...but when it comes down to actual survival he and I would stay as far away from people as possible.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I completely get where you are coming from there.
Mistrust(as someone already mentioned) is a big factor on going it 'alone' or in a group.

Unfortunately,if someone perceives you to be better kitted out than them,there's always the possibility they could do you over as you slept for your gear.

Fortunately I'm a good judge of character...and a light sleeper..

'There are courses you can attend that can teach you skills and practise them in a controlled environment too..

Personally I prefer to learn the 'stoopid way'..
Like casting out an overnight fishing line and waking up to find your makeshift rod happily making it's way across the lake with fish attached.

Hmm ..more secure anchorage next time then...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Like casting out an overnight fishing line and waking up to find your makeshift rod happily making it's way across the lake with fish attached.

lol, thats great
I expect I'm gonna be eating a lot of crab since I'm down near the coast, I cant fish very well but I can catch crabs no problem.

I'll ask if they are edible, If they are I might see if i can can some.

Might be worth trading in a sit x

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma...

but I can catch crabs no problem.....

Must...resist.....urge.... to...... Heheheheheh!!!

Ok I promise to leave that one alone..

-----------

Trading has GOT to be adopted as the 'new economy' after a sit-x..
I've done trips where I've bartered clothes off my back,chores,whole weeks of work to get by..Gardening,painting,woodwork..anything for shelter and some food..

Man I have NEVER found anything so satisfying than finishing off a wee project and being rewarded with Ice cold beer,Chicken Shwarma and a table full of Mediterranean veggies..MMMMMMMMMM... Gawd I can still taste it 5 yrs later...

Anyway.. Back to my pot noodle..

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
one liner, lol, i didnt realise

i bet someone uses that as a sig

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Dar Kuma]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
Initially I was interested in joining a survival group. Hubby and I have had very basic kits together for some time now. After much discussion and soul searching we decided that we would probably do better just worrying about ourselves.

It is much easier to feed two people then a whole group.

So in the end my survival group consists of two people. I can see pros and cons in that. I don't want to be alone in case something were to happen to him - I think for me that would be the biggest benefit of being part of a group. I'm not so naive as to think I can physically protect myself against adversaries ( men ) that are going to be physically stronger then me. Of course, he may not be able to do much against a group of adversaries either.

A survival group that meets and learns together pre sitx is fine. I'd love to be part of a weekend camping trip where we share knowledge with one another...but when it comes down to actual survival he and I would stay as far away from people as possible.

For me I think if you hook up with a good bunch of guys and gals before hand and can trust them then it's all good.
This is good for learning stuff and a group sorting out things in SitX but then I'm a single guy (Am I the only one!!?) who doesn't have any ties or responsibilities.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
nope, single here too WatchRider

I can just about look after myself let alone another human being

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join