It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Expect More From ATS Members

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
The only think I'm intolerant of is intolerance. When I see baseless bigotry and ignorance I call BS.

baseless bigotry and igorance? such as this OP denouncing posts that aren't as "good" as his?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Please clarify as to what you mean by BS.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There's no debating bigotry. Its embedded in the soul and unless that individual can learn to understand people and empathize all you'll get out of them is ridiculous stereotypes and ignorance.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by eye open doors

I'm simply saying that I expect ATS members to have done a bit more research than the common joe you'll see on the street.

I read it as and I am certain Blimpseeker read it as: I am an example of "good" posting. These other people are no "good" and this is below me. I am incapapable of ignorance, and if you question me, my ego will hold on tight. I

Fair enough. I can see why you might perceive that from my post.

I did not mean that, only that there are several, several other posts which, I'm sure you'll agree, is like talking to someone in the Bush administration, or a Fox reporter, or just plain ignorant.

I guess I'm just thinking that I'm shocked that it seems like the same stuff you'll get out of Fox News seems to show up here more and more.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
OP, even though I existentially agree with your thoughts, it seems to be that perhaps it is time for you to take a good look at what course you resonate with on the forum in general.

I can say from personal experience there are topics that may end up being very good threads, but I pick and chose those that speak to me and in doing so have an incredible forum experience.

Within the safety net of ATS/BTS/PTS there are multiple levels and communities where people of like mind and interests gravitate.

It is good that you have become aware of one aspect of the community as a whole that you personally do not resonate with.

Let it go now, move on to the areas and people your spirit lead you here to connect with.

link   

Originally posted by blimpseeker

The only think I'm intolerant of is intolerance. When I see baseless bigotry and ignorance I call BS.

baseless bigotry and igorance? such as this OP denouncing posts that aren't as "good" as his?

Hold on there.

I am not trying to say I'm better than everyone here, please read my last post.

link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Now again you are assuming that everyone here hates fox news.
some of hate all news, read= MSM

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think you all are making him out to be this arrogant jerk who thinks he is great but in no place did he say that. I dont understand how you came to that conclusion.

And yes we should have joined an elite society if their slogan for the site is deny ignorance yet many of the users are popping off with garbage like 3+3=5, to use a good example. how can we possibly deny ignorance when we are saying 3 and 3 makes 5? we cant.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks Antar, but it's not just the ignorance I'm referring to, which a lot of people here seem to be thinking.

It's also the bigotry.

The prejudice.

It's bothersome to see.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The way I see it, with 135 k members plus, not everyone is going to be discerning in what they post and believe. Most won't take the time to check links or try to cross reference things to check validity of a story. Your also going to get people who wholly buy into the Left/Right artificial divide that causes a lot of other people to see them as ignorant. Good luck trying to change those perspectives.

Also, take into account age ranges and life experiences of the members here. Add in cultural differences and it's easy to see that some are going to be less accepting or open to new ideas.

Then, think about someone who finally realises that the world that they have been comfortably sheltered in is a farce. That there politics are useless as most decisions aren't decided upon by the folks we believe lead us. Some will cling to those believes as if there life depends on it. In some cases it may.

I honestly think your expectations are a tad to idealist given the size and range of membership here. But thats just my opinion.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by blimpseeker

Now again you are assuming that everyone here hates fox news.
some of hate all news, read= MSM

Ok, now you're just arguing to argue.

You know very well what I meant.

You SHOULD know very well about Fox News by now.

But now you're turning it into a 'bigbert81 keeps making stereotypes' type of debate. Quit it. Now you're just pushing to push.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

And if people bothered to click on the links you provided rather than jumping to crazy conclusions, they'd know exactly what you were talking about.

THAT is the ignorance that bb is talking about. You see a splash page headline and immediately jump to conclusions.

This thread alone is the perfect example of Denying denying ignorance.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
The way I see it, with 135 k members plus, not everyone is going to be discerning in what they post and believe. Most won't take the time to check links or try to cross reference things to check validity of a story. Your also going to get people who wholly by into the Left/Right artificial divide that causes a lot of other people to see them as ignorant. Good luck trying to change those perspectives.

Also, take into account age ranges and life experiences of the members here. Add in cultral differences and it';s easy to see that some are going to be less accepting or open to new ideas.

Then, think about someone who finally realises that the world that they have been comfortably sheltered in is a farce. That there politics are useless as most decisions aren't decided upon by the folks we believe lead us. Some will cling to those believes as if there life depends on it. In some cases it may.

I honestly think your expectations are a tad to idealist given the size and range of membership here. But thats just my opinion.

Good post.

And perhaps you are correct in saying that I am being a bit too idealistic.

Well put.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Thanks Rasobasi for pointing that out.

I didn't want to say it, but I was starting to get that feeling too.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, since this is in the General Conspiracy forum, I would like to know what the conspiracy is here.

I don't see one, does anybody else?

What I see (this is getting very frequent lately) is a members attempt to belittle others by way of their own standards.

Those are your standards.

You do not run this site, you are not a moderator, you are a member just like everybody else.

Your post is a rant, and while I would not tell you to do what the highlighted message is that you put in your OP, I do think that if you are so unhappy with the quality here, that you need to either open your own site, where you have complete control, or you need to take your member bashing elsewhere.

This is not a classroom, people (other members) don't need instruction from you about how to go about posting material on this site!

When people post threads, I am sure they don't consider what they post just for your pleasure, they post it because they want to, not just for your benefit!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Take antars advice. Exercise your ability to choooooooooooooooooooooose the people and information that are right and interesting for you.

Opposing idiots does nothing more than bump their threads.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Ahhhh, always nice to hear from you Enthralled Fan. You always have the nicest things to say.

I can see that you've become the ATS police, well, it's about time.

It's in this forum BTW, because I didn't know where else to put it. It DOES say 'General Conspiracy DISCUSSION', so I figured that might work ok, but if not, the MODS are free to move this elsewhere.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Ok, I can see your point.

Although, it's not quite as easy as it would always seem.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I agree weith everything you are saying OP.

I am sick of seeing Barack Obama HUSSEIN threads. Its just racist.

I am a bit sick of Chemtrail threads where people fight back and fourth, one side contributing science and the other contributing ignorance to that science. Once someone tells you how it is in the world, and backs it up, admit defeat. Some people are too proud..

There are a lot of people flinging mud at Muslims here. It hurts me to see that, considering the forum. I am indeed rather ignorant to their culture, but I don't hate all Muslims because there is terrorism in the world.

In the end, all people here have to establish is why they believe in something other than a story they read. Once that is established, then they can debate over it, and if they are proven wrong, just walk away knowing you are less ignorant than when you started the day. I love when people make great points against mine, it offers me another chance to argue back, or I can see it and say, "Wow, that person totally made me look like a fool.."

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

And if people bothered to click on the links you provided rather than jumping to crazy conclusions, they'd know exactly what you were talking about.

THAT is the ignorance that bb is talking about. You see a splash page headline and immediately jump to conclusions.

This thread alone is the perfect example of Denying denying ignorance.

Is it possible that you are "jumping to crazy conclusions" by saying others are "jumping to crazy conclusions"? What gives you the authority?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join