It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

starwars á la ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
oops, i started a thread.

i just began to think this post rating system (the stars which any member can give to any post) and how it works on reality? i mean are there many people that use the rating system and on what purpose?

i can figure out few possible motives for its use straighthand, but i'd like to hear other people opinions and accustomations on this matter to figure out how it is used in reality.

i personally try to rate every post that i like, or ones which contributes on the issue at hand, even i don't necessarily like it's content. but then i see opening posts (op's) that have received dozens of stars but all the subsequent development of the op is forgotten and the amount of stars decrease rapidly. are people so self centered or lazy that they won't read but the 1st and last post of the topic, or do they only star the opinions they like, regardless its truth-value?

and how do people react when they see pile of stars on some specific post? does it immediately cause symphatic reactions and assumptions that the poster is on something, even the person might've not read the post?

isn't there also a possibility, that someone would make multiple ats accounts and star every post he likes with the power of legion? can one even take note from this rating system, since it can be abused?

one thing i know, when there's a pile of stars (30+) in a post, it should be worth of reading.

but yeah, if people want to share their experiences and feelings about this rating system, you're all welcome.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I always star a post that I agree with. I almost always star a post that has content I think others should read, even if I don't agree with everything in it. Sometimes I star a post as a sort of "thank you" in an ongoing conversation.

I hate when a bunch of people comment on how good one of my posts is, but see that there are no stars next to my post.

EDIT to add:

isn't there also a possibility, that someone would make multiple ats accounts and star every post he likes with the power of legion?

Possible, but unlikely for several reasons. First, someone would have to be half nuts to go to all that trouble to basically say, "hey look at me, I'm popular."

More importantly, multiple accounts is a serious violation. I've seen mods go after people suspected of having more than one account.

[edit on 5/18/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

i guess we're having similar way to give stars. but not many people want to share their ways of rating posts it seems. well, i gave you jack a star because i agree with you.

is this topic already discussed to death somewhere?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think whatever the star may mean to you it is essentially a "good" thing and tells other people that for some reason the post in question is worth a look. I have noticed "starred and flagged" used a lot as a way of showing appreciation so I think that while a star is intended for a specific post it is also being used to highlight appreciation for a thread by giving the OP a star. So the star has the double function of highlighting a post but also of reinforcing the flag system.

Thought from the title of the thread that you were proposing a Star Wars idea based on conspiracy theory. Would be kind of cool to see a future sci-fi script where conspiracy theories at large became mainstream: where the truth was out. Just an idea!

top topics

join