It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who coded ATS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Is there a doc about the specifics of the LAMP setup anywhere on the site? Or is it more of a secret?

Not really, but the overview is:

3x ---- Quad-Core web servers running Apache/PHP, with 2GB RAM running behind a load balancer

1x ---- 16-core MySQL server with 16GB RAM, and 8x 15k RPM hard drives in RAID 10

1x ---- Quad-Core auxiliary server for our ad serving solution (shuffles the network ads)

Originally posted by apex
You mean... You did all this from source just source code and no visual editing of the page with an IDE? That is impressive.

Nah... I've never used a visual editor. It would be even more impressive if it were all CSS with DIV containers... there's too much reliance on tables for my liking but don't have the time to redo it.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Overall, i believe you have done an excellent job... The forum is one of the best.... But the only thing that a bit frustrates me is Post Editor .... i meant it's pretty old fashioned as compare to rest of the forum that is fully web 2.0 loaded..... i meant more people are used to Post Editor similar to Invision Power Board or VB .... i meant quoting people is very difficult and also one has to memorize several BB code ..... normally when we want to Bold some text we just select it and press B Button in the editor it does not happens here either one has to enter text in between the code by first pressing the B button or into pop box...

Also replying multiple people in a single post is not very simple... in IPB there is option of ' Quote + ' you press Quote on as many post as you want to reply to and then press ADD Reply button and all quotes are there... of course you can trim them there... but it's easier to reply more and more people in a single post.... what you think?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

You did all this from source just source code and no visual editing of the page with an IDE? That is impressive.

IMO you're not a true web designer unless you can code HTML directly, in most cases it's easier to do the fine tuning as well. I also worked this way for years (although i'd rather die than use a mac.. sorry admin) but I finally had to give in to .NET, hard to get to grips with but in the end.. faster and isn't that where the cash comes from.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

All of the "out of the box" board systems are not designed with high-volume, high-traffic sites in mind. Some of the features you've described would introduce performance problems for all visitors on a site as active as ATS.

Quoting: We've long ago adopted a policy of asking our members to think about the amount of text that's being quoted. If we made quoting easier... well... we'd see even more big-quotes.
The rationale for limiting quotes has very-little to do with performance, and everything to do with content: 1) It's easier for the unfamiliar non-member to read posts that do not contain massive quotes of entire posts, and 2) Google, and other search engines, don't like to see large amounts of duplicate content, and actually penalize pages that has duplicate text.

Post Editor: We've also adopted a stance that what is said is very important... making it pretty with lots of editing options doesn't improve the quality, just affords people with more choices about how to make their post look.
I'd like people to spend that time on the best way to say what they need to say.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
[
3x ---- Quad-Core web servers running Apache/PHP, with 2GB RAM running behind a load balancer

If you don't mind my asking, whats the session management like, something you rolled yourself, something someone else implemented or is the load balancer taking care of it?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by LOYAL

Post Editor: We've also adopted a stance that what is said is very important... making it pretty with lots of editing options doesn't improve the quality, just affords people with more choices about how to make their post look.
I'd like people to spend that time on the best way to say what they need to say.

Point taken, but it sure would be nice to have our cake and eat it too!

I could do without all the distracting smilies

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
If you don't mind my asking, whats the session management like

It's mostly my own code, but we only worry about sessions for logged-in members... we don't track sessions for guests at all. The load balancer is configured to be aware of the state and running processes of each server, and distributes each request to the least-utilized machine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join