It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do a billion Muslims really think?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Oh, if that's the question, maybe it's because there is some wisdom to be found in both books. And to exclude one simply because you don't identify as a follower of the faith will only lead to further ignorance, xenophobia and bigotry.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

First sentence, I know.

Second, however, that isn't what a Christian normally does.

Thank you for the reply tho.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
reply to post by Christian Voice

Oh, if that's the question, maybe it's because there is some wisdom to be found in both books. And to exclude one simply because you don't identify as a follower of the faith will only lead to further ignorance, xenophobia and bigotry.

Why that is a logical answer it still makes no sense about the post in question. I'm a pipe designer so I read and use a lot of piping engineering books and trig as well. I sometimes create P&ID's (piping and instrument flow diagrams).

Even though there are a lot of informative instrumentation books I don't read them b/c they have nothing to do with my aspect of the project. Does this make sense? I can read them but I wouldn't ever utilize the information in them because that isn't my discipline in the engineering field.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

The referenced quote

"There is NO compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower." 2:256 Holy Quran.

This looks like about as generic a verse as anything. It basically says, we should not compel others into our religion. If they find God, then they know God, and in doing so, no coercion is necessary.

This looks to me like it's a nice verse that everyone should abide by.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

True, I agree with you on that.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

Exactly, there are a great many books that tell us a great deal of important information. Few books inspire violence like the Bible and the Koran. Most people in the west recognize this, and take their religion with a grain of salt. That isn't so easy to do when massive peer pressure pushes you to pray every single day.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

But it is separate. Since the religion itself holds no place for honor killings, and since the there are millions of Muslims who condemn honor killings, and since the majority of offenders are from a specific culture (and practiced within various religions in that culture) we can separate the two.

no we can't, those who indulge in such "honour" beatings, oppression and killing are mainly muslims from the Indian sub continent- the two are inextricably linked- there are over a million Hindus from India in the UK and they aren't linked to this atrocious behaviour

We need balance- on the one hand not condemn all muslims but on the other defend those women by recognising where the problems lie

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

"There is NO compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower." 2:256 Holy Quran.

This looks like about as generic a verse as anything. It basically says, we should not compel others into our religion. If they find God, then they know God, and in doing so, no coercion is necessary.

This looks to me like it's a nice verse that everyone should abide by.

Yes they should, but they don't

[edit on 28-5-2008 by blueorder]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join