It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do a billion Muslims really think?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

www.csmonitor.com

Since the momentous events of Sept. 11, 2001, countless news stories, TV commentaries, and books have speculated on the causes of terrorism, the attitudes of Muslims, and a purported clash of civilizations between Islamic societies and the West.

What has not been available is any reliable measure of the viewpoints of ordinary Muslims, who constitute 20 percent of the global population.

That is no longer the case.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
this is very interesting. Many people have extremely biased prejudices against Islam. It's great to see a survey taken of a decent enough segment of the population that we can get a real idea of what Muslims in general believe. It might surprise some people.

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Flagged and starred!!!

Brilliant find. It's GREAT to see what some of these prejudicial people here on ATS will say after finally seeing something that disagrees with their general stereotypes.

Here, I also thought to highlight a couple of points for those lazy people:

•When asked why they supported the attacks, the radicals gave political rather than religious reasons. They have a sense of political frustration and feel humiliated and threatened by the West. Those who opposed the attacks often gave religious reasons for doing so.

•What distinguishes them is not their perception of Western culture or freedoms, but their perception of US policies. Even radicals say they support democracy. But 63 percent of radicals do not believe that the United States will allow people in the region to fashion their own political future without direct US influence.

•Among the Muslims surveyed, 7 percent condoned the 9/11 attacks. The study terms these the "politically radicalized."

The Gallup Poll of the Muslim World surveyed a representative sample of 90 percent of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims, the most comprehensive study ever done.

I still highly suggest people click on the link the OP provided. It's very informative.

[edit on 5/18/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

"Man.. it must be like... 50 degrees today... I wonder if they have any of those orange ice-pops at the shops!!..

In other words pretty much the same as every other member of the human race..
This is something the media doesn't seem to consider when it's trying to rally public support for Government financial crusades.. and War mongers who jump with glee at calls to 'Turn them to glass'.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm glad that this is being reported by the Christian Science Monitor. To me it shows a very progressive and unifying world view.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Does it say what percentage

denied the attacks came from Osama? I'd like to know that answer.

Lets see what we do when they come attack us here. Do you think they will come in peace? Will they come to read us some of the Quaran?
Or will they come to kick our butts? I have the feeling its the latter. And how will we handle it? Not very diplomatically, i'm afraid.

I would give my right arm and left leg to find out the absolute truth.

And i'm serious.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
i can assure you the results shown in this polls are very accurate... even i started a thread here ' The Pakistan you don't watch on Tv' to give people a insight into our society and let them know that most or 80% of Pakistani think the same way as the rest of the world about terrorism or democracy ... They want to live peacefully side by side with every nation of the world.

Having said that, there are few groups of people who are extremists and believe in carrying out suicide attacks to achieve their goals however they are miserably unpopular among general public and infact consider them the ' Devil ' .. They want to have equal rights for women however gender mix is always an issue in an islamic society ... just like shaking hands with men by women is deemed very offensive... they want their voices to be heard they want to have democracy no one supports tyranny in any muslim country..

However muslims are very much frustrated by prejudice against Islam by some western.... most of us believe that West has not been fair in dealing with Israel and Palestine conflict.. However no one believe in killing or attacking innocent people anywhere in the world, Al-Qaeda is not a popular organization in the Muslim world.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
denied the attacks came from Osama? I'd like to know that answer.

well granted 9/11 was carried out by bin laden, most muslim discourage and denounce him... Bin Laden is not our Hero... Bush and Bin Laden both are miserably unpopular in the Muslim world.. for obvious reasons.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Does it say what percentage

denied the attacks came from Osama?

May I ask what relevance this is?

Lets see what we do when they come attack us here. Do you think they will come in peace? Will they come to read us some of the Quaran?
Or will they come to kick our butts?

When who comes? The radicals, or the majority (vast) of non-radicals (regular Muslims)?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Very good find.. starred and flagged.
It's about time somebody understood that 9/11 came for political not religious reasons.
Anyway I feel that the percentages are very accurate from my viewpoint as a muslim.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
First off a really excellent post thank you for starting it. The fact that we do not understand one another is one of the biggest threats facing the world today. For the last four months I have had the pleasure to be in classes with a fine young man named Imran who is from western India (Muslim). I have been really enjoying learning about him and where he comes from, both physically and mentally. One of the things that really stuck out for me was how biased my opinions were and how they did not do this man nor his people justice. He is one of the most honest, caring, respectable, friendly, kind, and plain lovable people I have ever met. I*t is quite obvious to me that there is serious propaganda that is generated to dived us.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
So much for the "Hate our Freedoms" excuse Bush...

Finally an unobjectified look at Islam. I hope all those prejudiced people take a good look at this and finally wake up and realize, Muslims are tired of persecution and interference into their lands and lives.

And like any oppressed people, they resist. That's not Islam speaking, that's human nature.

Far too many people are all for war & aggression to deter terrorism, but struggle to the compute the fact that Islamic Fundamentalists apply this same principle to their actions.
Terrorism is in the eye of the beholder.

Islamic Radicals don't see themselves as terrorists, as does the United States. But to each other they are viewed as nothing but reprehensible, immoral terrorists.
Osama himself has said if he's such an anti-Democratic maniac, why didn't he attack Sweden or Denmark?
Islamic Fundamentalism is far more a political movement than a religious one. Their not attacking America for their beliefs or for their own, they seek to remove American hegemony from their land and people.

How hard is it to see were all in the end human? Were fighting each other over the same principle yet both sides consider their fight more righteous and deserving.
The double standards here are utterly stupid.

[edit on 18/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I've said before and this confirms it: the "Avergae Joe" Muslim is not an extremist/radical. The viewpoints illustrated in this artilce raise an interesting question: So what's the deal, Islam?

If the people are for equal rights and deomcracy, and reject radicalism, then why do Islamic nations fund terror groups, repress women, sabre-rattle about Israel, execute homosexuals, and do other such dubious activities than seem to fly in the face of these Gallup Poll results? Perhaps the average people there will not stand up against the extremists due to fear of violent reprisals. But if the popular sentiment is truely and overwhelmingly as the poll results indicate, it seems that the nations could STFU ALREADY about nuking Israel etc. and take a more peaceful path.

I also found this quote to be of significance: "Most want neither theocracy nor secular democracy but a third model in which religious principles and democratic values coexist. They want their own democratic model that draws on Islamic law as a source. "

Islamic law (also called Shariah) has been, from the accounts I've heard, rather barbaric. Stoning adulterers to death is not what I'd call progressive!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spaznational

I think you're neglecting to consider the sheer volume of Muslims worldwide, while you are apparently referring to the minority of the group.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaznational

If the people are for equal rights and deomcracy, and reject radicalism, then why do Islamic nations fund terror groups, repress women, sabre-rattle about Israel, execute homosexuals, and do other such dubious activities than seem to fly in the face of these Gallup Poll results?

How much control do you have over your government? I bet its a lot less than you think.

•When asked what they most admire about the West, Muslims pointed to (1) technology, (2) a value system of hard work, self-responsibility, rule of law, and cooperation, and (3) fair political systems, with respect for human rights, democracy, and gender equality.

They appreciate it, but many can't do anything about it.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81

I think you're neglecting to consider the sheer volume of Muslims worldwide, while you are apparently referring to the minority of the group.

In what way? I was referring to the governments of Islamic nations.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sorry, but this survey is hardly revealing at all. These are the questions I would like to see answered.

What do Muslims think about honor killings?

What do Muslims think about allowing a young person to convert from Islam to say, Christianity or Buddhism?

What do most Muslims think about the problems that Muslims are developing in Europe?

Do Muslims think that they should have their own political and religious destiny even when they live in countries that are not dominated by Muslims?

What do Muslims think about punishing a woman for getting raped?

What do Muslims think about their children having the right to marry whomever they choose?

What do Muslims think about jailing a woman for allowing a child to name a teddy bear Mohammad?

What do Muslims think about freedom of speech, especially speech says bad things about the prophet Mohammad?

What do most Muslims think about the right of Israel to exist.

What do most Muslims think about the high percentage of rapes committed by Muslim men against European women in Europe?

What do most Muslims think about the West's distrust of Islam?

What do most Muslims think about the way Western women behave?

These are the questions that form my distrust of Islam. Heck, I am distrustful of most organized religions.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You're from Florida, right? Do expect people in the middle east to understand the intricacies of hurricane season, or the effects of a diminishing everglades? The point is, you, me, the United States Government has no right, nor understanding to implement their ideology in culture that are fundamentally different than ours. So how can we truly have a fair opinion of their beliefs?

The Bible says that women should serve the man only. There are many crucial things in our bible that if we still followed today people would think we're savages. Who cares what their beliefs and application of their beliefs are? Do unto others as ye would have them do unto you, right?

Do you want someone from the other side of the world to tell you that you live your life wrongly, without even understanding why you do it?

AAC

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

As one individual, like almost all individuals, I have no control over the government. And thank Almighty Jeebus for that! If every individual had a high degree of control it would be total chaos. But the mass of the people DO still have a good degree of control because we can FIRE politicians since this is a republic. We just have to be seriously passionate about a given issue.

Examples: The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 stopped by grassroot level action. The Dubai Ports World deal (to outsource US port security to the UAE) met grassroot level resistence enough to make congressmen on both sides of the aisle fight against it and eventually stop it.

Mod Edit: Large quote removed. Reply function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 18/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I never said we should try to implement any ideology. If Iran was to nuke our ally I'd say we should not hesitate to turn Teran into glass. How's that for implementing ideology, eh? Oh but that would be culturally insensitive because, after all, Iran was only trying to spread Islam as they are supposed to do. Killing infidels is cultural and so we should allow this because we wouldn't want to impose ideology. Us evil Americans need to be more sensitive.

Those crucial savage things from the Bible that we don't follow now... the Qur'an has its own set of savage things (very similar actually) that some DO follow. When those things impinge upon OUR culture then I don't consider it to be implementing our ideology when we defend ourselves.

Mod Edit: Large quote removed. Reply function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 18/5/08 by JAK]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join