It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier Uses the Quran for Target Practice

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Belive it or not that idiot put his fellow troops in danger by doing that.Do you realize how dangerous that was?The Quran is not our enemy.Some parts of the bible was used to justify slavery in this country,if some black folks would use that book for target practice this country would go nuts.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elgoog
if i was president, on sep 12 2001, half of the arab world would have been a hot nuke zone, and i would have told the other half to knock their $#)$ off or i'd come back and finish the job.

And it's people like you that scare the living crap out of me.

Mossad did such a great job brainwashing you to hate Muslims. Aren't you proud?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lone Star Patriot
If a group doesn't agree with the current ideologies they just create alternative secular and political ideologies. You don't see that in ANY other religions.

Um....Catholicism, Protestants, Baptists, Lutherians, Episcopalis ring a bell? Probably not.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WickedStar

The event happened at an Iraqi police station target range.

Thus further proving my previous point. Legally... the soldier is in the wrong here. Iraqi soil = Iraqi Laws

You don't like it? Go back to your own country

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

They stick to the bible and it's laws. They don't decide "oh those pesky 10 commandments are cramping my style. Let's re-write them."

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lone Star Patriot
They stick to the bible and it's laws. They don't decide "oh those pesky 10 commandments are cramping my style. Let's re-write them."

Really?

Question: "What is the difference between Catholics and Protestants?"

Answer: There are several very important differences between Catholics and Protestants. While there have been some attempts over the last several years to find common ground between the two groups, the fact is that the differences remain, and they are just as important today as they were at the beginning of the Protestant Reformation. Following is brief summary of some of the more important differences.

www.gotquestions.org...

The Protestant Reformation was a reform movement in The Holy Roman Empire that began in 1517, though its roots lie further back in time. The Reformation involved cultural, economic, political and religious aspects.

en.wikipedia.org...

And that's just Catholics and Protestants. Shall I go into the differences between the over 200 different denominations?

This is a list of Christian denominations by number of members.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Knock yourself out. All you'll do is prove my point.

The Catholics stick to their Catholicism, Protestants stick to Protestantism. They don't change their religion when they don't agree with the secular and political ideologies of the belief system. Sure they did in the late 16th - just a little reason the USA we born. But nothing has changed since and certainly nothing has changed since, em, 1979.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

if i was president, on sep 12 2001, half of the arab world would have been a hot nuke zone, and i would have told the other half to knock their $#)$ off or i'd come back and finish the job.

actually, the muslims made me hate their brainwashing culture.
something about seeing palestinians training their 5 year old sons to wear suicide belts, something about seeing videos of women being publicly tortured and humiliated - for doing nothing wrong....
i didn't need any brainwashing to hate them.

you on the other hand, appear to me to be brainwashed, as you are defending them and their right to hate indiscriminately, a right which you do not grant to others (like me)

im the most tolerant person in my circle, but i do not condone, tolerate or ignore a religion that dominates a huge culture and impinges terrible shackles on women, punishes freedom of thought and as others have pointed out, trashes everyone elses religion as being false, while insisting everyone give them special privelages and revere their books more than they revere the bodies and souls of their citizenry.

~elgoog~

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

actually, the muslims made me hate their brainwashing culture.
something about seeing palestinians training their 5 year old sons to wear suicide belts, something about seeing videos of women being publicly tortured and humiliated - for doing nothing wrong....
i didn't need any brainwashing to hate them.

And what do those things have to do with 9/11?

you on the other hand, appear to me to be brainwashed, as you are defending them and their right to hate indiscriminately, a right which you do not grant to others (like me)

I am defending no one. I was responding to your rant about 9/11. I grant you the right to hate. I would even defend it. So don't sit there and say you know me.

As an example:

I'm a gay man. I was having a discussion at a party one time (pretty heated) with a person who didn't agree with my lifestyle. The hostess (who's brother is gay) wanted to throw him out of the party. I talked her into letting him stay because I said everyone has a right to their opinion. Plus, he was not getting violent, so why throw him out. Discussion is healthy IMO. And I think we both walked away with at least something to think about.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

so the US goes into Iraq for WMD, i mean to liberate the Iraqi people
and the first thing that comes to this morons mind is give more reason for the Iraqis to hate american soliders?

if his plan was to isolate and make the US forces there more hated then good for him, hes done a good job. just means less Iraqis will want to co-op with us forces.

on the other hand he could just be a high school drop out who doesnt have a clue on cultral values and how not become a bigger target.

lol first amendment in a war zone and on forign soil.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
on the other hand he could just be a high school drop out who doesnt have a clue on cultral values and how not become a bigger target.

I think you have an excellent point.

Army Moves to Recruit More High School Dropouts
by Joseph Galloway

WASHINGTON - Army Secretary Noel Harvey and vice chief of staff Gen. Richard Cody said Monday that the Army was using looser Defense Department rules that permitted it to sign up more high school dropouts and people who score lower on mental-qualification tests, but they denied that this meant it was lowering standards.

www.commondreams.org...

lol first amendment in a war zone and on forign soil.

I know. I'm still laughing my arse off over that one.

I remember my brother in the first gulf war. They couldn't drink because it was illegal in the country they were in. They couldn't even look at a woman because of the laws.

I'm sorry to say. The law of the land is the law. As much as I myself despise these stupid laws, they are still law.

Or can Rastafarians smoke marijuana in the US? Nope. You abide by the rules of the country you are in.

In 1998, then-Attorney General of the United States Janet Reno, though not a judge, opined that Rastafari do not have the religious right to smoke ganja in violation of the United States' drug laws. The position is the same in the United Kingdom, where, in the Court of Appeal case of R. v. Taylor [2002] 1 Cr. App. R. 37, it was held that the UK's prohibition on cannabis use did not contravene the right to freedom of religion conferred under the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have commented on this thread at least once but when I see it gets another comment I come back and read just to see if much intelligent gets said or if ignorance prevails out in the rest of the world. Usually some of what people have to say about this extremely controversial topic is intelligent but sometimes it dismays Me to see some pretty outright ignorant comments. Nope, not going to specifically highlight one over another or pick on anymore specifically here, it's a blanket statement, kind of like the White House or State Department makes at times.

This United States soldier, a Sergeant no less, made a very grave error in judgement, within a foreign occupied territory, with one of their sacred items. It would not matter if this were on American soil, or on an American Embassy, which is "American soil" on occupied soil, this soldier was wrong to have done this culturally ignorant action.

Kind of like Godzilla, huh?

It would be one thing if this soldier were a green behind the ears Private fresh out of Boot Camp, where his actions might be explainable to some small but stupid degree, but I am sure with him being a Sergeant, he's at least gotten the cultural training that is usually obligatory when going to war within a combat laden land like Iraq. Who knows for certain one way or another? No one will know for a fact unless they actually ask that Sergeant or his buddies or his commanding officer. It just really doesn't matter at this point, he's already pulled the trigger, both metaphorically, and literally in this particular case.

For anyone who might want to read up on their Iraq information, you can go to the Central Intelligence Agency website to the World Fact Book.

Central Intelligence Agency - The World Factbook

People might even go to Wikipedia for some intelligent facts on this country.

Wikipedia - Iraq

That's completely up to you to do or even not to do if you so choose when posting to this thread or even specifically to My comment here within it. The entire thing boils down to the fact that this American soldier, has done something very physically detrimental to the host country, and potentially making an already politically charged arena being a combat zone where our people are not desired for the most part, an even worse area for America to be to protect his other fellow soldiers.

This whole story along with the entire war reminds Me of another almost just as hated war called, Vietnam. This was another controversial war where America was, where United States soldiers were spit upon when they came home, where civil disobediance was at an all time high, because America did not want us involved in that war zone either, where our soldiers died needlessly as well. War is not unfortuanately about ideals or other cultures directly, but about people dieing needlessly for a cause, on one side of the war zone or another.

So if you really think about this that Sergeant was probably just thinking about being home, not about the surrounding terroritory, nor his surrounding fellow soliders, nor his own life for that matter. It was an ignorant action, no matter how your own particular views define what he did.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

im the most tolerant person in my circle,

Oh man, remind me to never go anywhere near your circle.

But yeah, feel free to hate indiscriminately. After all, they have a different skin color, language, religion and/or cultural background so they must be evil.

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Yeah, rings a bell. They are all Chritianity. Go figure.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lone Star Patriot

Lone, that's the point. Saying 'The Catholics stick to Catholism and the Baptists yada yada yada' is a oxy-moron.

THEY ARE ALL CHRISTIANITY. The FIRST Christian movement was that of the disciples of Jesus Christ, followed closely after by the Roman Catholic Church being the first MAJORLY ORGANIZED entity of the Christian Faith. Pretty much, every thing that follows BROKE AWAY from the Roman Catholic, meaning they DID CHANGE THINGS THEY DIDN'T LIKE... much like the Roman Catholic changed things around after Jesus was no longer there to run his Church his way.

So, if you say the Babptist stick to there guns... they really don't because there 'guns' were originally RCC. Same for all those other denominations under the Christian Umbrella.

It's like saying a 2009 Dodge Charger is the same as the 1969 Dodge Charger. Oh, it may be a Dodge... and it might be called a Charger... but simply looking at them, much less getting under the hood, will tell you they are made by completely different rules.

Think about it. The Mormons stick to there guns, right? Well, those guns are around 100 years old (Ancient Religion, no?) and is merely the prophecy of a Christian who didn't like how things worked (whether this was his doing or God's) and made a New Branch of an Old Religion. (And, of course, he prospered greatly for it. Human deception or a Just Reward, you decide.)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Damn! that guy is the worst kind! Full of ignorance and hatred. Man that post makes me want to add him as my first foe. But he's not worth it I guess.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I had no less than 40 hours of cultural training, an additional 20 hours of language, all on Iraq before I could be deployed. I'm the second lowest rank in the Army, PV2. As far as I know, this is part of training for everyone being deployed. Sergeants have gone through this MANY TIMES (as they have to give glasses on occasions to E-4's and lowers, it's what NCO's do).

I guarentee you, he's been given the oppurtunity to learn these customs. He's been ORDERED to sit quietly and not disturb the classes, and if he has disturbed them he has been punished (probably CATE, corrective action through exercise) for disobediance.

Now, if he actually LISTENED or LEARNED, that's on him. He's been given the classes, trust that.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

im the most tolerant person in my circle, but i do not condone, tolerate or ignore a religion that dominates a huge culture and impinges terrible shackles on women, punishes freedom of thought and as others have pointed out, trashes everyone elses religion as being false, while insisting everyone give them special privelages and revere their books more than they revere the bodies and souls of their citizenry.

Wow basing you view from just the bad stuff on the media?

The middle east is a huge place, each country is TOTALLY different, each has their different cultures, music, people, beautiful women, every day family people!

Your confusing 99% of the entire middle east, with political people, extremists groups which have nothing to do with it etc. Isn't that REALLY ignorant?

Ever been to a middle east country? ever met the people? (who are probably more friendly than the average westener lol)

Also isn't it the MOST IRONIC thing in the world that you will not tolerate these things, but yet you decide to do something WORST THAN ALL THE THINGS PUT TOGETHER!!

You don't even realise that YOU are one of them! You and the extremists are one and the same hahahaha. You are a terrorist! I do hope you NEVER get to be in charge of anything, there are innocent people need protecting from you! yes YOU!

I think it's time for you to take a look at yourself and open your mind to the fact that now, you have become just like the terrorists.

Edit: oh yeah, if your the most tolerant in your group, I would be VERY VERY scared to meet the others haha.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BradKell
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I had no less than 40 hours of cultural training, an additional 20 hours of language, all on Iraq before I could be deployed. I'm the second lowest rank in the Army, PV2. As far as I know, this is part of training for everyone being deployed. Sergeants have gone through this MANY TIMES (as they have to give glasses on occasions to E-4's and lowers, it's what NCO's do).

I guarentee you, he's been given the oppurtunity to learn these customs. He's been ORDERED to sit quietly and not disturb the classes, and if he has disturbed them he has been punished (probably CATE, corrective action through exercise) for disobediance.

Now, if he actually LISTENED or LEARNED, that's on him. He's been given the classes, trust that.

Awesome to know I'm still with it with facts about the United States military forces in the realm of cultural training and deployment overseas. Wish I could say the same for the sniper Sergeant and his choices of targets. Thanks for the reply.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I want to get this straight:

The problem here was that the soldier used the Quran for target practice in Iraq. This put his fellow men in danger.

If he were to use the Quran as target practice here in the US, that would be OK, right?

It's a matter of where, not what, right?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join