It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier Uses the Quran for Target Practice

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Infidel,

$20 bucks says you've never read the Quran.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

OK let me break it down a little more for you: I was generally speaking. The flag gets burned by many, for many reasons. The Bible gets burned by many for many reasons. The Koran gets shot at one time....

It's news however, the fore mentioned are just the opposite, never mentioned.

Also, FYI, 92% of Americans believe in God. I'm just saying'....

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lone Star Patriot

OK let me break it down a little more for you: I was generally speaking. The flag gets burned by many, for many reasons. The Bible gets burned by many for many reasons. The Koran gets shot at one time....

The Quran gets shot at by a representative of the American military. That's the problem. People can say what they want and protest how they want. Military personnel cannot.

Also, FYI, 92% of Americans believe in God. I'm just saying'....

But not necessarily your god......
I'm still sayin'

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Using the Koran for target practice is tacky at most. Just try taking your copy of The Bible with you into a Muslim country. Our service members discover this when sent there. Bibles and confiscated as are other "Christian" symbols, e.g. gold Cross worn around the neck. So much for the religion of peace and tolerance. Sheesh
JMHO

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Perhaps hes expressing his rage against insurgents and terrorists who are Muslims instead of the whole Muslim population. After all, these freedom fighters represent the whole Muslim population right? Insurgents and terrorists scream Allah Akbar. They also held out their Koran showing they are fighting and dying on Allah's message.

Is it any different from videos of Jihadists shooting at practice targets outlined as a human wearing a cross?
Its almost as if Al Qaeda thought they were fighting Crusaders. Wow!!!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

So as long as Al Qaida does it, the US should be allowed to do it too? That sets a dangerous precedent.

The guy should have known better. What did he expect when shooting a Quran, in a Muslim country? A pat on the back?

Equating Islam in the middle east with Christianity anywhere else is ridiculous. The two are not the same, and the areas in which both are practiced are completely different. Sure, it's an easy argument to make, but it's logically flawed from the very start.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm really pleased that this thread has generated so much discussion.
Let me start of by saying that I understand where the "it's just a book" people are coming from. I do. But that does not and will not change the fact that to the entire world of Islam the Qu'ran is not just some simple book and this thread really won't progress further until we start dealing with the Qu'ran as such.

I think it is of the utmost importance that because we marched into Iraq as so called Democratic saviors and as "Liberators" that we respect and honor the culture we are supposedly saving. After all, the allegation was that Iraq was actively supporting and working with al-Qaeda...well and the WMD thing (we know how that turned out). At any rate, defiling the Qu'ran essentially confirmed, at least in the Iraqis minds, that the modis operandi of the American invasion was in fact, a religious one. And that's why this soldiers actions could have been so devastating. Not only did he nearly destroy the fragile good faith that had been built between our military and the Muslim militias that we were working in concert with but he could have, single handedly, turned this into a Religious War. This isn't about shooting up a book - it's effectively about how this soldier used the faith of 22% of the worlds population for target practice.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

That has to be one of the dumbest points brought up in this thread.

So if all US soldiers wore crosses to represent the Christian majority within America, Muslims could freely burn, shoot and blow up Crosses in Iraq?

Get a grip.
Just because it is a symbol used by Muslim Fundamentalists doesn't give people the right to desecrate religious artifacts.

The MAJORITY of Muslims are not radicals. They worship the Quran as well, to allow such disrespect to be displayed towards it just because of fact that the radicals claim to worship it as well is a stupid double standard, and pisses of the moderate majority who don't support extreme viewpoints.

You can't say, "Oh but I'm doing this because I hate the Radicals who follow the Quran, not the rest of you Muslims."

Doesn't make any difference does it?
Whatever purpose you do it for, that is the Holy Book of 1.5 billion people around the world who see it as a testament of their religion and way of life. Thus it's inexcusable to shoot it because your pissed off at the Radicals because all Muslims will take offence, and it only helps to pour more fuel onto the fire in Iraq.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Folks over there are blowing up their own mosques.

Why should they care that we are shooting a book?

This makes no sense to me. I would not demand vengenance if you shot the bible, but I might take issue with you if you blew up the house of god.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

And you bet they take issue with blowing up mosques. Do you think the average Muslim doesn't care when his family and religious leader is blown up by an extremist?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Another dumb redneck I wouldn't give him even a water pistol not to mention a firearm.Not only that he has no job there but he is insulting the whole islamic world.Don't get me wrong I dislike islam but atleast put some effort to respect it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
No one has mentioned that they quoted the quran when they used the world trade centers for target practice.

Instead of punshing that soldier, the should bootstrap him into a general officers job and let him take over, at least he has the right idea.

~elgoog~

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And you bet they take issue with blowing up mosques. Do you think the average Muslim doesn't care when his family and religious leader is blown up by an extremist?

We have seen more of a response out of them over this incident than when their mosques were blown up. Why is this so much worse? Could it be that the Muslims are racists?

Even when the insurgents were using the mosques for sniper attacks, the muslims over there did nothing. But when a non-muslim is desecrating something of their religion it is time to get active and mobilized. Pathetic.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WickedStar

I think its both, he is dumb, AND they prolly dont train them properly in middle eastern edicate.
I hope that they got across to this sgt that do to his actions he prolly just got 40 men killed. These muslims take somthing and keep running with it.
A friend of mine is sationed there and he says they are still pissed about the crusades..THE CRUSADES!!!! Like 1000 years ago!
Just respect them while you have to be there...which is hard when to do your job you have to dehumanise your "enemy".Tough spot.I still support these troops though

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Dude yes it's, the remaining number that make up the rest of the religions or athiest and agnostics. Sorry it's 91% or 9 out of 10 people, "The latest Newsweek poll found 91 percent of American adults say they believe in God and nearly half rejects the scientific theory of evolution."

I'm STILL just sayin'...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's only a book, there are over a BILLION of them! Some Islamic people would probably like to kill this soldier for shooting this one book out of the millions/billions of them!

To me that is ridiculous!

I could see if it was the only copy or something, but not when it's only one copy out of, who knows how many, a billion!

In the words of Einstein, "Albert Einstein described belief in God as "childish superstition". And the nation of Islam has taken this superstition to the extreme, further than any other group that I know of.

It is THEIR superstition, not that soldiers obviously! Why should one person be held responsible for breaking another persons superstition

Actually, this kinda reminds me of the Salem witch trials. Innocents being put on trial for another persons superstition!

It's one book out of over a billion, it's not worth a persons life just because he destroyed one of them.

[edit on 5/19/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Them blowing up mosques makes no sense. Isn't that one of the many hide outs for the terrorists??

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I guess I'm finding myself surprised at how many people here just aren't getting it - at how many people have dug in, heels in the mud, absolutely refuse to see that when he shot the Qu'ran he didn't just destroy one book out of a million, he didn't just attack the principals of Islam, he attacked every Muslim on the planet. He might as well killed Muhammad. That's how THEY feel about it. I know it's difficult for us Westerners to grasp. I admit that I probably wouldn't either had I not been a comparative religious studies major. If we're to understand this problem we've got to try to look at through the eyes of the Muslim.

And please stop talking about how the radicals blow up mosques and kill their own, we get it, they're radicals...thats why we call them Radicals. The issue at hand isn't Radical Islam, it is the keenly unwise behavior exhibited by this soldier. Refusal to even try to see this from any other perspective other than a scorned and hurt American betrays how small minded we can, as a nation be.

I've said my peace.

[edit on 19/5/08 by WickedStar]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
good man, he found a way out.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickedStar
And please stop talking about how the radicals blow up mosques and kill their own, we get it, they're radicals...thats why we call them Radicals. The issue at hand isn't Radical Islam, it is the keenly unwise behavior exhibited by this soldier. Refusal to even try to see this from any other perspective other than a scorned and hurt American betrays how small minded we can, as a nation be.

What about the keenly unwise behavior by the Muslims who allowed their fellow Muslims to blow up a mosque with no repurcussion.

Did the Soldier do something wrong? Yes.

Was it as bad as the things that Muslims have been doing to themselves? No way.

[edit on 19/5/08 by COOL HAND]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join