It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier Uses the Quran for Target Practice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I would burn every quran aswell. the total lack of reformation of the religion is pathetic. they are still as crazy as the christians during the crusades in the middle age. If it isnt the quran ? then wat do u think has turned children to join al qaeda. children to go on a one way trip to paradise. what has made mujihadeens. wat have made muslims want to fight ? u dont christians going around blowing themselves up just cause some portrait of jesus had him with a erected penis ? atleast christians are more peaceful amd dont become extremist.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The only thing the Koran is good for is to be riddled with bullets since it was written by a false prophet. At least now THAT copy of the book is holey!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Very interesting thread.

IMO, we should bend over backwards, respecting the cultural icons of Islam. It makes the USA look fantastic! And it costs us nothing but some patience.

On the other hand, shooting at the Koran makes us look really bad to Muslims. What do we gain by that?

It doesn’t matter if the majority of American's think it is stupid. Showing extreme respect for your enemy breaks down barriers, and makes it easier for your enemy to surrender. That is our objective, after all.

It is a type of psychological warfare. Obviously, the USA military knows this, hence the official apology.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

It is just a book. If one can not have faith without a book, then they have no faith at all IMO.

Bloody hell, let me say it one more time...

It's NOT a book to them. Just take that fact and please ram it through your skull.
The sheer intolerance on this thread is scary, you'd think you were posting on Stormfront.org or something...

It's not that their completely devoted to the Quran as if it were some rare, relic or something. That's not the point. They don't worship the flippin' book.

Muslim children around the world are taught to memorize entire chapters from the Quran from a young age; so they don't need the Quran to actually heed the words of Allah. They know his most important revelations off by heart.

The reason it holds such sentimental value for Muslims is because it is believed to be the word of god. The literal word of god as he spoke to Muhammed; and compounding that, it has not been changed or moderated like the Bible and all it's testaments have over time.

A Quran from the 7th Century is virtually identical to a modern Quran, there has been no modification to it's chapters whatsoever.
Thus, it is the ever-lasting pure word of god to Muslims. They feel compelled to protect this "sanctum" of their beliefs, to render it free of corruption or alteration, so that they can heed Allah's words forever.

This stems from the early days of Islam when Muslims were widely persecuted and ridiculed by the various Pagans of Arabia, who used to destroy their Qurans and places of worship.
Thus protecting the Quran was vitally important, as if they were destroyed they would no longer be able to heed God's words carefully, so they used to memorize the book, copy it, hide it, etc...
Thus the custom of protecting one's Quran.

Are you satisfied now?

Yes it's different and otherworldly to treasure a text so much, but who the hell cares?? I love how people on this board concern themselves with things that will never affect their lives or cross their paths.

It's their religion, their way of life, not yours. Let them guard their Qurans as much as they want.
How does it affect you people?
Can't you just accept other people live differently from you without ripping your hair out of your heads and racking your brains to compute why their so different? Forget it.

Let it go. Their different. Your different. Difference is inevitable. It's not a reason to hate and to conform to dumb bigotry, just because of how they worship and live.
Have a little decency to respect someone else's treasure.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" after all. What you see as "just a book" they see as a symbol withstanding the test of time.

And this concludes Ethics 101... sheesh.

[edit on 19/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I'm not going to bant back and forth about the Koran, as that's a waste of time. The real question is this, why exactly did they bring this to the public? Is it supposed to get Muslums to hate us? Or what?

*Our soldier was caught shooting at a book, let's tell everyone any make a big deal about*. Ridiculous.

WTF is the point!?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Another good point, but remember if they kept this under wraps and then it surfaced through the grape vine the Army would be just as condemned as the soldier for allowing this practice to go unnoticed and unpunished.
They would been seen as condoning intolerant behavior; and the PC watchdogs would jump down their throats literally.

So by bringing to people's attentions they can talk about it in an open manner, and decry the soldier's actions as not representing the US.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

you are wasting your time , trying to make Islamophobics understand
they never understand , and spew their disgusting american propaganda ,

I hope that Russia,China,India together save the world put an end to this imperialist american nazi fourth reich.... aka american empire .....

Only Russia can save the world now from the jaws of the imperial genocidal american Beast,afterall remember Soviet Russia destroyed 86% of the fascist forces , with little help from America (10-15% of soviet equipment was from lend lease , which was relatively puny and insignificant)

anyways i expect americans to blast me with their propaganda and revisionist history

[edit on 19-5-2008 by manson_322]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Certainly it's unfortunate that a US soldier let his anger get the better of him. It was wrong and he should be disciplined. But I doubt that a necktie party would be appropriate although I'm sure some partisan liberal demagogues would advocate such harshness.

However, what’s strenuously avoided by liberals from being acknowledged is that Muslims routinely show disrespect, intolerance, and commit desecrations when they confiscate and destroy Bibles, Torah scrolls, destroy Hindu and Buddhist statues including invaluable antiquities as in Afghanistan, desecrate holy sites as in Jerusalem and Bethlehem, and even execute people found with Bibles. They attacked churches, synagogues, and Christians in Egypt, Lebanon, Pakistan, India, Philippines, including 80 churches which they burned in Kosovo (where the Muslims ended the Roman Empire in 1452). When they occupied the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem they defecated on the alter just as they did to a synagogue and several Torah scrolls in Montreal. They often use Christian Holy sites to hide in and fire from knowing that they will often escape return fire. Furthermore, Muslims have made it quite clear that they view such actions as justified as only the Qur’an and the Hadith are sacred; all else is the profane work of infidels and should be destroyed. Even Saudi Arabia wanted to confiscate Bibles, Tanakhs, and religious jewelry from America GIs sent to protect them. To the Muslims such a double standard is entirely justified.

Every day Islamic radio stations broadcast anti-Jewish and anti-Christians messages that are extremely vile. Their newspapers publish vile cartoons, particularly of Jews. Yet let a cartoonist in Denmark insult Islam and Muslims become homicidal killing nuns and ministers and burn churches and Western embassies. They demand the implementing of Sharia law in Western countries and the execution of those who disrespect their homicidal, insane and false prophet, a man who was a liar, thief, murderer, and rapist including of a young girl.

Why people refuse to see the Islam and Muhammad for what they are, insane fanatical fascism that’s intrinsically intolerant, is beyond me. It seems that Western liberal political correctness has a suicidal bent to it. I would suggest liberals buy a Qur’an, a prayer rug, and learn the direction of Mecca. But I suppose all of the foregoing is above top secret, to be kept from Americans and Europeans so as to facilitate Dhimmitude and Mar al-Islam.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
reply to post by WickedStar

If you were getting shot at by the peaceful Muslims everyday do you think you would give two craps about their satanic book?

I would burn every copy I got my hands on because it is a work of the devil.

I do believe your confusing the Quran with either Salmon Rushdie's
"The Satanic Verses," (Who, by the way is hated by the Muslim world and has received numerous death threats since the book came out in 1988.) or Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible.

I doubt if the Quran is Satanic, but in all fairness I have not read it so I can not deem it to be Satanic or otherwise. You might want to start with burning the two aforementioned "Works of the Devil" before burning the Quran.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
reply to post by WickedStar

If you were getting shot at by the peaceful Muslims everyday do you think you would give two craps about their satanic book?

I would burn every copy I got my hands on because it is a work of the devil.

I do believe your confusing the Quran with either Salmon Rushdie's
"The Satanic Verses," (Who, by the way is hated by the Muslim world and has received numerous death threats since the book came out in 1988.) or Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible.

I doubt if the Quran is "Satanic", but in all fairness I have not read it so I can not deem it to be "Satanic", or otherwise. You might want to start with burning the two aforementioned "Works of the Devil" before burning the Quran.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Using certain holy books for target practice is not really something a professional soldier should do. But as we know, soldiers in wars sometimes (or almost always) loose their sense of wrong and right and start to do stupid things. Emotions get in the way of the better judgement and certain egos come in and play with their minds. But we have to bear in mind, that in this so-called War on Terror, the U.S. soldiers are not fighting the entire Muslim religion, but radical elements within ceratin societies. This is NOT War on Islam, yet I think the majority of soldiers do take it this way. And that is why they tend to do stupid things like this - and it was not the first one or the last one or the only one we were told about it.

But do we really want to know everything that is going on in this war? I mean there are probably things far worse then shooting at Holy Quran which have happened in this conflict and news like this are really not helping either side to cool down. So maybe THAT is the real reason we are told about it. To further divide the masses and to further widen the abyss between the two cultures, two religions, two sides in this war. To me this is no better then burning a flag or desecrating any national or religios symbol. But to me a book is just a book and a flag is just a flag. Burning and shooting things is far better then burning and shooting people. Yet it is only one more sign, which are showing us, how certain people want to piss off the entire Muslim religion, by doing or by spreading such news.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I don't understand...are we there to help the Iraqi people we profess to care so much about or just to fight them?

Judging from some of the sentiments in this thread that argue this soldiers actions as justified or even reasonable, we don't respect them or their religion.

So why then?
Is this some Holy War masked with the thin veil of democracy and liberation?

Most people that support this war don't give a damn about an Arab and wouldn't care to have one in their home.

So what exactly are we doing then? Killing them?

- Lee

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Maybe thats what all soldiers needs to do to end the war. Just get one start target practicing and bam wars over. Since they sent the first guy home they would have to send all others also. So now we know how to end the war!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

And I took a little different take on this story. I believe the soldier was just attempting to make the koran into a "hole-y" book.

Now that's funny right thar!!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Big deal...

I use pages of the Koran for toilet paper...

I am entitled to my own opinion.
Bomb me if you don't like what you hear.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Macrotus]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I don't agree with what the guy did BUT I can see why he would felt driven to do it. They (the muslims) on a daily basis say we are infedels and need to die because we believe in Christ. Americans burn flags in protest.

No one says a damn thing about that but oh the minute a soldier does something not so bright the whole flippin world jumps on the bad American. Whatever! Buncha bleeding heart liberals. *shaking head*

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Soldiers have been inculcated from boot camp to have contempt and hatred for the enemy. Agression tends to prove itself somewhat useful on the battlefield.

It isnt anyone's fault that this incident occurred. The soldier has been brainwashed to hate his enemy- and he found an outlet by shooting at a Koran.

Lets be honest, this is nowhere near as bad as Abu Ghraib... and Rush Limbaugh actually defended the actions at Abu Ghraib.

In comparison, this is a non-entity. Its just like some terrorist burning the American flag... unpleasant to the other side, but a common occurance in "war".

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lone Star Patriot
I don't agree with what the guy did BUT I can see why he would felt driven to do it. They (the muslims) on a daily basis say we are infedels and need to die because we believe in Christ. Americans burn flags in protest.

We don't believe in Christ, you believe in Christ. And they don't burn American flags because of some American's belief in Christ, they burn the American flag to protest US foreign policy.

And it's not 'The Muslims' it's some Muslims. And there are plenty of Middle Eastern Christians that burn the American flag too.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
He shot a book; nothing more and nothing less.

Islam is a twisted violent faith full of insanity and it takes the right to retaliate for the slightest offence has God given. It kills in impunity for its aim and destroys lives at will. It is no better than any other organisation that has ever existed, and still in the 21st Century people are dying because it still has the power to brainwash the likes of a junior school teacher to detonate in public.

That does not mean all its adherents are foul, if they were we would be in WWIII now. Unfortunately enough are foul enough to want to kill the West and install a Caliphate. (If we were fighting a tiny minority wouldn’t we have won by now).

These people are not going to give up because you want to be nice to them. Obama was born Muslim but chose a different faith. Abdul Rahman narrowly escaped the death sentence for such an act. Apostasy is a crime. No compulsion in Islam? Not if you’re the likely next POTUS obviously. Wonder why that is?

An English woman who was compassionate enough to live in a country that needed educators was imprisoned because of a teddy bear. Many died because of a series of cartoons. Is that rational behaviour? Sounds like a cult to me.

There was a battle once, just a short few miles from my parent’s house. Charles Martel and his band met a group of Muslims in a field and gave them a good kicking.
Of course not all the Muslims of the time wanted to invade the west, in fact many thought it was a terrible idea, but it happened and they lost.

Do you want to fight each other over who is peaceful or not while the Caliphate is built around your ears? I don’t.

So forget it, it was a book that belongs to his enemy. I feel no emotional attachment to people who want to kill me, why should he while they are actually trying to do it to him?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
He shot a book; nothing more and nothing less.

Islam is a twisted violent faith full of insanity and it takes the right to retaliate for the slightest offence has God given. It kills in impunity for its aim and destroys lives at will. It is no better than any other organisation that has ever existed, and still in the 21st Century people are dying because it still has the power to brainwash the likes of a junior school teacher to detonate in public.

That does not mean all its adherents are foul, if they were we would be in WWIII now. Unfortunately enough are foul enough to want to kill the West and install a Caliphate. (If we were fighting a tiny minority wouldn’t we have won by now).

These people are not going to give up because you want to be nice to them. Obama was born Muslim but chose a different faith. Abdul Rahman narrowly escaped the death sentence for such an act. Apostasy is a crime. No compulsion in Islam? Not if you’re the likely next POTUS obviously. Wonder why that is?

An English woman who was compassionate enough to live in a country that needed educators was imprisoned because of a teddy bear. Many died because of a series of cartoons. Is that rational behaviour? Sounds like a cult to me.

There was a battle once, just a short few miles from my parent’s house. Charles Martel and his band met a group of Muslims in a field and gave them a good kicking.
Of course not all the Muslims of the time wanted to invade the west, in fact many thought it was a terrible idea, but it happened and they lost.

Do you want to fight each other over who is peaceful or not while the Caliphate is built around your ears? I don’t.

So forget it, it was a book that belongs to his enemy. I feel no emotional attachment to people who want to kill me, why should he while they are actually trying to do it to him?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join