It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Explosion at Chaiten Volcano (Update)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Have a look here at Geology.com. Plenty of images and info about it.
Also some more about it here Chaitén Volcano

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Where can I view the webcam?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Webcam here:
www.aipchile.cl...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thanks, 12m8keall2c...

Holy Crap that is a lot of smoke/dust/ash!

I haven't seen anything yet on major media....

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Another webcam from a different angle...

www.aipchile.cl...

[edit: to add]

And another (N-E view]
www.aipchile.cl...

[edit on 1-8-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A rare total solar eclipse today, and then *BANG*! And it's not over yet! Coincident?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
For those of us who don't know much about volcanoes, just how bad can this thing get? How serious are the global implications with this volcano?

Is this volcano considered a "super volcano"? Can it spread globally? Can it really affect the global temperature and weather patters, and if so, to what degree?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Wow. I hadn't thought about that. Put 2+2 together and you've got the makings of an epic legend.

I'm curious to see how this all plays out now.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thought I would make that connection to this thread for you...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Something VERY WEIRD is afoot...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

This thing could potentionally cause a Tambora 1815 type event. It could be smaller or it could be bigger, no one knows for sure. Look up "Tambora 1815" and see what happened after the Tambora 1815 eruption. Then you'll get an idea on what might happen here. Temperatures fell worldwide and caused a lot of trouble. Chaitén is not an ordinary volcano. It is a caldera type volcano, and it has been asleep for over 9000 years. The way it behaves right now is not a good sign at all. There was an explosion yesterday, but it's not over yet...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
According to the Fresh Bilge blog the ash plume is reaching a height of 20,000 to 25,000 feet now. This is much higher than it has been for some time.

www.seablogger.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
An update today on Seablogger about the lava dome growth...

www.seablogger.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Check out the comments on update #50 on the Fresh Bilge site. Seems the eruption is still going on. Cam view today was messed up as the north facing cam was covered with ash.

www.seablogger.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
An update today on Seablogger about the lava dome growth...

www.seablogger.com...

Holy cow I didn't realize it was so big. Thanks for updating this thread. Now that I know the observations show increased activity I am going to pay attention. I gotta buy some seeds.

If there is no major explosive eruption to reduce the dome, a substantial new mountain will have been emplaced by the time the extrusion ceases.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I would just like to add something on a personel level which can tend to get over looked at times when all the 'scientific' details of an eruption are being discussed.

My wife and myself cycled down to Chaiten from Puerto Montt and then onto Futaleufu in Jan/Feb of 2006. We stayed in Chaiten for 3 days and were made most welcome and got very friendly with one older couple who ran a small cafe place there.

When we were in Futaleufu it was my 60th birthday and we stayed at the El Barraco Hotel there and they baked a cake for me and were just a great bunch of people.

Our hearts go out to all of those people, not just in those 2 places but elsewhere in that beautiful and remote region. It was the favorite part of our 2 month cycling trip around the Patagonian Lake District and the iconic Carraterra Austal Road.

Thanks very much for sites such as these than we can get updates on the situation when the worldwide press seems to have forgotten all about this tragedy.

A UK couple

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Thank you for reminding us about this and your trip sounds wonderful...I've never been to Patagonia, but there is something about it's energy that I feel as really familiar...it's such a beautiful place, and I can only hope that if the Earth decides to vent in a major way here, the people living in this region will have been given enough warning to be safe.

Cait

top topics

<< 1   >>

join