It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this cause the end in 2012? New pulsar found.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeptepi

Light travels at 9,500,000,000,000 kilometers per year (light year)
So the binary system in question is 21,000 light years away

9,500,000,000,000 X 21,000 = 199,500,000,000,000,000 kilometers away

Holy crapeth! That is pretty close in the Galactic neighbourhood. Because we just found it doesn't mean we need think there is nothing going on out there.

The next question is where, if any, is it headed? If it is not tracking left or right, then what, going or coming?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
He guys, lets not forget that the "picture" we see now is from 21.000 years ago! because it took that long for the picture to be delivered to our eyes.

So if it travels with half of the lightspeed any direction it could wel be somewhere else right now! The astronemers among us can probably tel more about that. Same goes for the devastating "radiation" (in have no other word for it). It was probably already emited 21.000 years ago and could be anywhere in our galaxy by now.

Anyway very intresting!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Read through it again (revelations) and it sounds like an acid trip. The man was clearly on hallucinogenics or insane lol.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Hey man, the centre of the galaxy is 26000 light years awy, thats a massive massive distance, and between here and 26000 light years away are billions of stars. This thing is not close at all, it is so far away as to be insignificant. 2012 my arse, travelling at the speed of light it would still take 21000 years to get here wouldnt it, and nothing is travelling at that speed. The nearest star is 4.22 light years away, not 4.22 thousand, just 4.22 light years, so who gives a # about a star 21000 light years away?

sty

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
21 000 light-years away is a lot. In order for something like this to affect Earth , it should be closer than 3 000 light -years. Our galaxi is 120 000 light years across, so at 50 000 light years away we have the central black-hole, that would contain (at least) millions of stars like this one. Yet, we are not affected by it. I woould not at all about this one. However, another proof that binary stars are common.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Why is this still even being debated? It's an interesting subject for sure but has no 2012/Planet X/Nibiru connection whatsoever. It's not hard to work out exactly how far this object is from us.

A light-year is equal to:

Exactly 9,460,730,472,580.8 km (about 9.461 Pm)
About 5,878,625,373,183.61 statute miles
About 63,241 astronomical units (AU)
About 0.3066 parsecs

Do the math.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NathanNewZealand

Hey man, the centre of the galaxy is 26000 light years awy, thats a massive massive distance, and between here and 26000 light years away are billions of stars. This thing is not close at all, it is so far away as to be insignificant. 2012 my arse, travelling at the speed of light it would still take 21000 years to get here wouldnt it, and nothing is travelling at that speed. The nearest star is 4.22 light years away, not 4.22 thousand, just 4.22 light years, so who gives a # about a star 21000 light years away?

The object is NOT 21.000 light years away! Only the light (thus the information) is from that period! It was there 21.000 years ago, noone knows where it is now at this particulair moment

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnus1962

What are you talking about?

The pulsar, a city-sized superdense stellar corpse left over after a massive star exploded as a supernova, is spinning on its axis 465 times every second. Nearly 21,000 light-years from Earth.

Also, this is about the diagram used.

Orbital Comparison With the Solar System: This diagram shows a comparison of the sizes and strangely elliptical shapes of the orbits of the pulsar J1903+0327 and its possible Sun-like companion star with the orbit of the Earth around the Sun. The sizes of the Sun and the possible companion star have been exaggerated by a factor of about 10, while that of the Earth has been exaggerated by a factor of about 1000. The pulsar, with its magnetic field and beams of radiation, is too large by a factor of about 100,000. (Credit: Bill Saxton, NRAO/AUI/NSF)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent Venom

Well, to my knowledge objects in space we currently see aro not (exactly) on the exact place and time where we have observed them.

For example the light from the sun is 8 minutes old, because the light took 8 minutes to travel from the surface of the sun to earth. In this 8 minutes it moved place (depending on tis speed) several thousands of miles.

So a heavenly body we see which is 21.000 lightyears away, is on the spot it was 21.000 years ago. we will only "see" whet i is now in 21.000 years!

But for example if the Pulsar would travel with half the light speed heading our way (which is not impossible) it would now be at approx. 10.500 light years away, but we would only see it in 10.500 years.

The closer it gets the less "distance" between observed time and place an actual time and place.

So you could argue about the fact if the object still exists, but we would only be able to prove it in the (far) future.

I will try to find a site which this descibed in more detail.

Greetings!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnus1962

I do understand it, but the fact is they know how far away it is based on the light detected as well as other factors! At the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's 21,000 light years or 10,000 light years from us, nothing from this object will affect the Earth or anything on it and certainly nothing from it will affect us in time for 2012! It is nothing for us to worry about or even for your children to worry about or their children's children, etc etc etc...

[edit on 19/5/08 by Agent Venom]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
WIKIPEDIA:

Where it was
ANY PROBLEM with clarifying that any object viewed from Earth is seen NOT where it is right now, but where it WAS (depending on the distance it's light has to travel) ? -- PFS 12 June 2006 (UTC)

Such a statement is meaningless, since it assumes a simultaneity that does not exist in special relativity. -- Xerxes 20:37, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
No it doesn't. Special relativity simply says that simultaneity is relative, not that it doesn't exist. In a sub-luminal observer's reference frame, no event can be simultaneous with its observation. --P3d0 15:47, 14 June 2006 (UTC)
The expression "right now" implies simultaneity. Certainly you can say something about the time-like separation of the emission and absorption events, but that's not the same as what the orginal poster said. -- Xerxes 00:49, 15 June 2006 (UTC)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

OK,

I didn't get that, so they calculated the position whit the actual position and speed. That surely changes everything.

But I agree that this can't have any effect on life on earth here and now (as far as we know)

Thanks for the explanation!

I'll guess we have to wait till 2012, won't we?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok, for those who are still worried over this thing, try this on for size.

www.space.com...

Nearest black hole, 1,600 light years. Heck of a lot closer

Sorry, I apologize for being rude but, honestly, this is getting on my nerves...

Now for seriousness.

IF it was coming closer, then we would know about it.... coming closer = lessen the distance light has to travel = we would know due to various red-flags in the study of the object.

IF it was coming closer, it could not make 21,000 light years distance in the time needed. Without going the speed of light. It's MAXIMUM safe distance would still be thousands of LY away.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I heard Jesus came from nibiru

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
Dark crystal classic movie of its time.

Suprised more people havn't posted .. here we have scientific proof of a very close 3 star system with ELIPTICAL orbits!!! Nibiru anyone?

It's not close. It's 21,000 light years away. That picture is not to scale. It's just there to compare relative orbits, probably.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
the nature of the pulsars is very interisting some astronomers have claimed that there is a pattern of the signals they emitt which has led to nomerous of theories that the pulsars are some sort of a intergalactic network which purpose is unknow.Most recorded pulsar are situated on the outer parts of the our galaxy which conflicts the idea that they are long dead stars because older stars and plnets are situated in the center.As far as the question that a pulsar is causing the earthquakes and storms on earth is absolutely possible maybe not this certain pulsar but some other processes in our galaxy .When it comes to the univers everything is connected who knows ?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Keep in mind that all we know of this pulsar is the light from it 21000 years ago that's finally reaching us now. For all we know it's possible that it does not even exist today.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yes yes people jeez calm down I DID NOT even mention Nibiru in the Original post i mentioned the possibilty in a later post of mine and everyone is jumping on it going mental.

This is Skunk works Boys and girls.. it is meant to include speculative theories which nibiru certainly is ...

ty for all those who explained the distances etc etc , yes i am now aware it is a size comparison . and not an actual representation of position.

You see the OP is supposed to be about

ELIPTICAL ORBITS.

You see in some small way it lends credence to the possibilty of our sun having another orbiting body on an eliptical course .. does it not? maybe their is a MASSIVE object orbiting our sun at the outer edges of our solar system that could have an eliptical orbit ...

Up until this article eliptical orbits were laughed at when people spoke about planet x / nibiru etc etc .. but in Many many ways this new scientific info ADDS credence to the planet x / niburi theory. yet most are taking it as the opposite.

i was just pointing out in that post (not Op) this gives weight to the 'story' imho.

And two throw my 2 cents into a few questions that have been asked on this page..

Yes the light we see is 21,000 light years old and it is not its true position ..

BUT

Agent venom is correct .. its all RELATIVE.

and i like the pulsar communication network idea !! thats a thread of its own!!

[edit on 19/5/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yes yes people jeez calm down I DID NOT even mention Nibiru in the Original post i mentioned the possibilty in a later post of mine and everyone is jumping on it going mental.

You mentioned Planet X in your first post, which is the other name given to this mythical planet. Also the thread name: "Could this cause the end in 2012". What do most Planet X/Nibiru proponents say will cause catastrophism in 2012? Planet X/Nibiru. It is pretty obvious as to what you were getting at in your first post.

This is Skunk works Boys and girls.. it is meant to include speculative theories which nibiru certainly is ...

Nibiru certainly is speculation as well as a myth, I agree with you.

You see in some small way it lends credence to the possibilty of our sun having another orbiting body on an eliptical course .. does it not? maybe their is a MASSIVE object orbiting our sun at the outer edges of our solar system that could have an eliptical orbit ...

How does it when other objects out there display similar characteristics? Alot of star systems are binary but so far there is no evidence to suggest we live in one. Again, it is speculation.

Up until this article eliptical orbits were laughed at when people spoke about planet x / nibiru etc etc .. but in Many many ways this new scientific info ADDS credence to the planet x / niburi theory. yet most are taking it as the opposite.

Again, how does it? This is totally different to how PXers/Nibiru propents talk of this object, for one it's "supposed" to be a brown dwarf star. Nibiru is said to have a huge elliptical orbit of 3600 years.

Nibiru is nothing but a myth, perpetrated by people like Zecharia Sitchin and peddled out there by loonies such as Nancy Lieder, Mark Hazelwood and Marshall Masters.

Agent venom is correct .. its all RELATIVE.

Thank you for agreeing with me, it's also alot of heated speculation combined with myth and nothing more.

[edit on 19/5/08 by Agent Venom]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

You mentioned Planet X in your first post, which is the other name given to this mythical planet. Also the thread name: "Could this cause the end in 2012". What do most Planet X/Nibiru proponents say will cause catastrophism in 2012? Planet X/Nibiru.

I am open to all theories, i also now wish i had chosen a different title. to a more eliptical theme.

How does it when other objects out there display similar characteristics? Alot of star systems are binary but so far there is no evidence to suggest we live in one. Again, it is speculation.

Yes it is Speculation , and this is the perfect place for that i dont understand why you keep pointing out the obvious? at no point do i proclaim anything to be fact.

Again, how does it? This is totally different to how PXers/Nibiru propents talk of this object, for one it's "supposed" to be a brown dwarf star. Nibiru is said to have a huge elliptical orbit of 3600 years.

Nibiru is nothing but a myth, perpetrated by people like Zecharia Sitchin and peddled out there by loonies such as Nancy Lieder, Mark Hazelwood and Marshall Masters.

I agree , i was much more enthralled by 'the terra papers'

read them? suggest you do , i would love to see you get your teeth into that and would value your comments... search ats for it.

Again pls dont think i state anything as fact , just as interesting.

90% of posts here at ATS i file under the ludicrus or more ludicrus category's

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join