It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me, or is CNN looking more and more like Fox News?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I swear, every time I put it on CNN nowadays, it's looking more and more like Fox News. From one of the biggest tools in the industry, Wolf Blitzer, to people on it now saying Obama overreacted to Bush's Knesset speech, they are sounding more and more Republican.

I always knew to be cautious of what I hear, but these guys are getting just as bad as Fox.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this as well as of late?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Yes I have noticed it as well. I have noticed the decline of just "news" throughout my lifetime.

I think it all has to do with money. MSNBC is losing it by the ton and so is CNN according to the rumors. Fox News seems to be in the number 1 slot, therefore able to charge its advertisers more money, thereby making more money.

The Main Stream Media is a fickle prostitute, what one does successfully, they all follow suit driven by the all mighty dollar instead of the news. If they think people will tune in if they do Paris Hilton day and night, they will do just that.

When the major networks didn't care whether or not the nightly news got "ratings" and attracted advertisers through these ratings...they actually reported the news and not this muck that now poses as "news."

Now it's just another business, driven by profits and ratings.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

From what I've heard, it's just the opposite. From my understanding, people are becoming more wise to Fox News propaganda, and therefore, the ratings at Fox are dropping, big time.

This is also part of the reason I'm starting to notice this. The people working Fox know they're being discovered as frauds, so now they're using a more trusted name in news to CONTINUE their smear of propaganda.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Actually, I am right

The well-known rivalry between Fox News and CNN invites all manner of metaphors: red state vs. blue state, hot medium vs. cool medium, partisan tabloid vs. sober-minded broadsheet. News Corp.'s (NWS ) Fox News was launched in 1996 with a sharply conceived programming product that seemed specifically designed to tie its opponent in knots. For Time Warner's (TWX ) CNN to respond in kind would mean forsaking its serious-news DNA. But ignoring the challenger and focusing on its established bona fides left a market opening that Fox could fly a 747 through. Which it has. In early 2002, Fox overtook CNN as the cable-news ratings king, and it has not relinquished that position.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.businessweek.com...

CNN edges out Fox in key demographic but
Fox still leads in overall ratings --------

It's all about Anderson Cooper. At least he's a major reason CNN gave for beating Fox News Channel during prime time in a key demographic.

The Atlanta-based network had an average number of viewers aged 25-54 for the first quarter of 2008, taking bragging rights in the category away from Fox News for the first time since 2001, Neilsen Media Research said Tuesday.

For that age group, CNN averaged 444,000 viewers during the prime-time slot -- 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. -- soaring 87 percent compared with a year earlier.

News Corp.'s Fox News averaged 430,000 viewers, up 10 percent.

Though Fox was still No. 1 in prime time for all ages and other categories, CNN officials said winning the 25-54 demographic is crucial from a business perspective.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.ajc.com...

This exactly proves my point..and is why CNN is starting to sound like Fox News, they know where the dollars lie. And they know that to attract more viewers to sell more advertising they need to get more conservative because viewers won't watch news with such a liberal slant.

%50 to %55 of Americans, depending on what polls you believe, whether they label themselves conservative or not, ARE fairly middle of the road, with some liberal views on certain topics thrown in. Most people are firmly planted in the middle or off a tad either way. Only a small percentage are on the outer fringes of either the left or the right.

CNN is up 87% BECAUSE it's starting to sound like Fox News, I'd be willing to bet that's exactly the reason and why you have noticed it, and why the ratings are up...because they are trying to beat Fox News by joining them.

[edit on 17-5-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Yep, looks like you are right.

How friggin' disturbing that these people are selling their souls for money.

I bet shows like Olbermann's are going to start gaining in popularity though, as people truly are becoming smarter. If you want to confirm that, go check out Digg.com. That site is so dang popular, and you'll see that the stuff that's getting 'dugg', is actually quite good and informative.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

That's why I called them all prostitutes
They are only in it for the buck, the actual news be damned. They could care less about the news.

All three major networks are failing miserably too, in their nightly national news shows. I read where on Comedy Central...John Stewart's show, The Daily Show at 11pm EST has more viewers then any of the 3 major network news shows...and his show makes fun of the media, ALL politicians and basically, that just goes to show you that the news on no matter what network, is a complete joke.

There was also recently a flap about CBS joining with CNN I think, and just using their news people and doing away with CBS nightly news as we know it, since the ratings are so in the toilet.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
From what I've heard, it's just the opposite. From my understanding, people are becoming more wise to Fox News propaganda, and therefore, the ratings at Fox are dropping, big time.

Your understanding is incorrect. The reason IF CNN is trying to be more like Fox News is because Fox kicks their butt in ratings, period!

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

WhatTheory, thanks for your input, but we've already covered that in the above few posts.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Face it, news is a business, and the reason for business is to make money.

I remember when Fox News was initially launched. I was actually getting nauseous listening and watching ABC, MSNBC, CBS, and CNN. They were just as biased as Fox is now, only in the other direction. Fox news came out with the slogan "We report, you decide" to fill the gap in news reporting that leftist news organizations were ignoring. I considered it more actual news reporting way back then than propaganda.

Over time, that has changed. Fox news now has a serious right-wing slant to everything it sends out. The once-hallmark show of Hannity and Colmes where they paired a right-wing with a left-wing opinionator to discuss the issues turned sour as Hannity claimed a huge following and Colmes' popularity fell.

Fox News did grab the lion's share of ratings during the time when they were (mostly) impartial, and that has rode with them throughout their transition to extremism. CNN is now moving to the right (which makes them moderates or centrists in my book at present), I assume to try and duplicate Fox News' success, and thusly I now listen to CNN more than Fox. I will admit that their transition may take them right of center, however. Glenn Beck is becoming more and more 'Republicanized' every day it seems.

I just wish they could all stick to reporting the news and forget telling me what to think about it. I have been able to make up my own mind for quite some time now, and I don't need any pundit from either side to help me with that task.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Hiyah Redneck...

I totally agree with your assessment of the whole situation. I think you and I speak for a vast majority of people in that, the news as a whole sucks, regardless of what channel or network it's on.

I used to like Glenn Beck as well...he's sold out the last few years...so I don't even listen or watch him anymore.

I think it's very sad in this day and age with instant news, that you have to almost watch or read it ALL...no matter what way it slants, left or right...to even figure out what is true, what is propaganda for either side, and what is actual fact.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I just wish they could all stick to reporting the news and forget telling me what to think about it. I have been able to make up my own mind for quite some time now, and I don't need any pundit from either side to help me with that task.

Good God, I couldn't agree more.

It's like they're really, really trying to control the way people think and react to certain situations.

They'll show a clip, and then go crazy about how people SHOULD feel about it, and in doing so, greatly succeed unfortunately.

Perhaps another way of dumbing down the populace.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I agree with the RedNeck and pretty much everyone's chatting it up on here. I just wanted to add that I really wish Headline News would do the headlines again as that channel was designed. Remember : "Around the world, around the clock, this is CNN Headline News...I'm Lynn Vaughn..." I miss the days when you could tune in and actually get the news. Whyd did they cancel the news?

On a side note, same thing with MTV and VH1. Where are the videos? We need a channel that just does NEWS 24/7 no talking heads, I'm so sick of the right wing nut jobs on all these channels I could hurl...and where does one go now for the videos?

It's for these reasons, and only these reasons I cancelled my cable subscription a few years ago and have never looked back, and unless I'm at the airport or the gym I don't watch them, and even what little I do see on them now is more than I can stand...It's the worst thing I have ever in my life seen, is how corporate America has dumbed it all down and white washed it and we are the ones hanging out to dry!

...if anyone still thinks they are getting news on those cable channels they are smoking the crack pipe!

[edit on 18-5-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have lived in around 4 countries so far and have traveled to over 20. Trust me, CNN delivers the WORLD news where as Fox News ONLY talks about America. Quite frankly, every time i watch Fox News, i feel like laughing. The world really does not revolve around America.

I have also noticed, international CNN is a lot less bias than the American channel. I don't know why but it is true. Fox News is always bias regardless of which country it is broadcasting for and once again, it is really annoying to watch news about the man who got shot in 3rd Street New York by a black man or al Qaeda bomb threats. This is all that Fox shows. Sometimes I would actually rather watch peaceful news by CNN talking about how men and women in local charities change their villages.

Regardless of what some ATS members say about the propaganda of news, news channels are something everyone watches and it is up to us to decide the best ones for us.

new topics

top topics

join