It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worried About Price of Gas? End U.S. Wars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Worried About Price of Gas? End U.S. Wars

canadawatch.org

Not long ago the price of oil was about a quarter of what it is today. But soon after the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq the price of oil began to escalate in tandem with the escalation of war and political turbulence in the Middle East. The fact that the rise in the price of oil has followed the heightened insecurity in oil markets is neither accidental nor a simple correlation; it represents a causality that runs from the heightened insecurity in oil markets to the inflated price of energy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Apparently Bush didn't know that by going to Iraq to control the oil fields would end up causing ridiculousy higher gas prices in just a couple years, or did he.

He is/was an oil man. (said while rubbing chin)

When the price of fuel started rocketing, Bush Co. started talking about conserving fuel by making vehicles with better gas mileage, and coming up with alternative energy supplies. Totally ignoring the fact that it was HIS wars that were causing the gas prices to quadruple!

Pretty interesting article, here is another bit from it:

The war also contributes to the escalation of fuel cost in indirect ways; for example, by plunging the U.S. ever deeper into debt and depreciating the dollar. As oil is priced largely in U.S. dollars, oil exporting countries ask for more dollars per barrel of oil as the dollar loses value.

*****SKIP*****

This shows that the disastrous consequences of U.S. wars of choice go beyond Iraq, Afghanistan, and the United States. The skyrocketing costs of fuel and food tend to plunge many of the world economies into a 1970s-style stagflation (a combination of stagnation and inflation) that threatens many lives and/or livelihoods around the globe.

Neoconservative forces in and around the Bush administration and beneficiaries of war dividends—wishing to deflect attention away from war as the main culprit for the skyrocketing energy prices—tend to blame secondary or marginally relevant factors: OPEC, China and India for their increased demand for energy, or supply-demand imbalances in global markets.!

I did a search for more sources of this article, and there were plenty, but the funny thing was that none of them were US main stream media sources.

Hmmm, still wondering why none of them picked this story up! (scratching .)

canadawatch.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/17/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is a pretty informative article, a little long but worth the read!

Here's another little tid-bit from it.

Worried about Price of Gas? End U.S. Wars

U.S. lawmakers have additional, more direct, financial interests in war and military spending: “Members of Congress have invested nearly 196 million dollars of their own money in companies that receive hundreds of millions of dollars a day from Pentagon contractors to provide goods and services to U.S. armed forces.” This means “lawmakers charged with overseeing Pentagon contractors hold stocks in those very firms [5].

It also means that our esteemed lawmakers know how or where to invest most profitably: “Shares of U.S. defense companies have nearly trebled since the beginning of the occupation of Iraq. . . . The feeling that makers of ships, planes and weapons are just getting into their stride has driven shares of leading Pentagon contractors Lockheed Martin Corp., Northrop Grumman Corp., and General Dynamics Corp. to all-time highs” [6].

It is not surprising, then, that many elected officials with input or voting power in the process of the appropriation of the Pentagon budget find themselves in the pocket of defense contractors. Neither is it surprising that these dubious relationships should serve as breeding grounds for the near legendary levels of waste, inefficiency, and corruption that surround the military-industrial-congressional complex

The above should be illegal and is also one of the main reasons I would never vote for McCain!.

What it basically equates to is lawmakers awarding contracts to contractors, paying them with our tax money they are in charge of, and then the lawmaker gets his "SHARE" of our tax dollars from the contractor.

That is totally absurd!

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. Thanks for posting this keyhole. Get ready to have the war-mongers screaming. lol

Honestly, I am just beyond sick of these oil and profiteering wars. The top tier of Elite just grow more obscenely rich while the rest of the world suffers. It's sickening.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It is one thing that would help.. even if only temporarily.
Since geopolitics is one major contributing factor of oil prices, helping calm things down geopolitically and ending the war would invariably help. But I'm just not sure how much seeing how the big problem is supply vs demand. We have demand increasing from developing countries like China and India and even though production is expected to increase from the oil companies in the short-term, the incresaing demand from these other countries will more than make up for the extra oil.

Then we have all these other geopolitical issues which are affecting oil prices like Iran/nukes, a possible future war with Iran, The recent natural disasters like the cyclone in Myanmar that killed 124,000 people and the recent earthquake in China, not to mention the global food crisis. All I'm saying is that ending the war in Iraq would help gas prices but it could just be a temporary fix seeing what's going on in the world.

Congressmen and Senators are willing to look at any possible fix temporary or permanent. But no permanent solution to the oil problem is in the works. All we are seeing are proposed temporary fixes like the recent proposed bill to tap into the national oil reserve which was shot down. Even if that would have passed it wouldn't have translated into much of a savings for us at the pump anyway(The stories I've read say probably around 5 cents a gallon).

Also, not to change the subject..
I really hate how John McCain is saying that Obama wants to increase government spending because that really doesn't make sense. Wouldn't Obama actually be saving money by ceasing the flow of money into the war effort? I don't think any proposed bill could be as expensive as the war has been.

-ChriS

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
But I'm just not sure how much seeing how the big problem is supply vs demand. We have demand increasing from developing countries like China and India and even though production is expected to increase from the oil companies in the short-term, the incresaing demand from these other countries will more than make up for the extra oil.

I don't think there is any problem at all in supply or demand!

I can remember in the 1970's there was, gas stations running out of gas, only being able to get gas on odd or even numbered days, ...

I don't see any of that!

Why do they keep saying there is problem with supply & demand, and we need more oil fields and refineries when there seems, at least to me, like their is plenty of fuel to go around!

I haven't heard of any gas shortage or anything!

It's just Bush playing the shell game.

It's all just Bush & Co., he's the one saying we need to open more of Alaska up for oil and we need more refineries because of "supply & demand, there's not enough oil. He's just saying that to try to hide that the truth is that its the wars causing the price increase, along with the dollars decrease

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more.

War makes people skittish... prices go up. Very simple and predictable.

If you want prices to go back down, get us out of this damn war.

Not to mention that it's being paid for using funny money created by the Fed, which drives up prices by inflation.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
War is NOT causing the price of oil to increase. The greedy members of OPEC and the increasing industrial complex in developing nations such as China and India is causing the price of oil to increase.

What is sad is that the U.S. has enough oil to support ourselves if only Washington would get off its butt and start getting it.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

I'm not so sure about that though. I found some interesting stories that I thought I would share:

www.commondreams.org...
www.nytimes.com...
www.businessweek.com...
www.tradingtoday.com...
www.cnbc.com...

We all know that basic economics suggests ups and downs based on supply and demand. There are other factors that determine oil prices, but considering supply and demand and what has translated into about 128 dollars a barrel compared to 100 dollars a barrel in January is this failure of the oil companies to produce enough supply to facilitate the global demand (not just ours here in the U.S.).

You can still go to the gas station and pump as much as you want that is true. But if the price hike continues there will be rationing of gasoline. There may be enough to go around in the market but this also translates to everyone having to pay that much more money to facilitate their demand for that gasoline. The market will not continue like that. Prices will continue to rise until trucking companies can't afford gasoline, people can't get to work because gasoline is being rationed, etc.. (just a couple possibilities)

Supply and demand issues may not seem very obvious to here at home in the U.S. since most of us can afford the higher prices and we can still buy as much as we need. But how long will that last? Trucking companies are already on strike because of oil prices and some companies are actually sending their trucks down to Mexico just to refuel because gas is about half what it is here.

The ever-increasing energy out put of developing nations is not exactly helping the situation because demand is increasing globally and currently production is not expected to keep up.

This is a chart from the NYtimes article I posted above..

Production is basically at a standstill as this illustrates. This is another interesting chart that I found on wikipedia. I included this in a different thread but thought it appropriate..that link can be found here:
en.wikipedia.org...

It's kind of insane when you consider the overall trend since the nineties and considering we have nothing to fall back on to put in our tanks but unleaded (unless you have some kind of hydrogen fuel cell car or electric car). If the price-hike continues it will get to the point where paying for gas is more expensive than the actual car payments. Not all of us have that kind of money (not me anyway).

I created a thread recently, as some already know, but basically i did some research and found that it may not take 4 years for gas to hit $7 a gallon as that NY times article states. For anyone interested you can find that here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

But basically what I was saying is this. January 2, 2008 oil reaches $100 a barrel. May 5, 2008 oil reaches $120 a barrel. In about a 4 month period the price of oil increased $20 a barrel. This means that if the rate of increase were to continue at current levels, oil prices would double in about 2 years. Since $7 a gallon is more or less also double what we pay currently, that means we could see that kind of price in 2 years not 4. But, generally, all the economic experts all have different opinions of what will happen and noone honestly knows what will happen. Just as I said in Dimensional Detective's thread about the economy, it's mostly guess work.

-ChriS

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I believe bush new what the war would do and so did our high and mighty government. if they didnt want us to go through another depression we wouldnt be paying the prices we are now.
thisjune5th.com...
go here and do the one thing the american people can do to help america.
pls watch the video and spread it to your friends and family. its a great idea and will work if enough people do it. designed to shock the banks and the federal reserve. now is the time to act.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I hate it when people say that "supply and demand" drives the price of anything. Replace supply and demand with the word greed and you will have the truth of the matter. The owner of a product always has a say in the price that is charged for it. There is no " supply and demand police force" that forces people to charge more for a popular commodity.

If I have a bushel of apples and it turns out that nobody else in my county has any apples and they all have to come to me to get them, I can charge ten dollars an apple, or I can charge ten cents an apple. The exact same thing is true of oil or any other commodity. The oil company is going to raise the price until you the consumer refuse to buy the product. Greed drives oil prices. The oil companies are making record profits. Gas is at the highest it ever has been. Am I the only one that can see a relationship in that?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

The government doesn't drive the price of anything.

Corporations and their lobbyists do.

It's a crap state of affairs.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

That's true but where does boeing begin and the government end? Where does McDonnel Douglas begin and the goverment end? The list goes on. The average american citizen has no idea what the answer is to these questions (nor do I). Not to mention the pharamaceutical companies who put everyone they can on drugs, or the big security contractors like Blackwater. If the government picks up the tab for a corporation then that corporation has a vested interest in the decisions of the political leaders in order to continue doing business and making the big money. Am I wrong? That's where the lobbying comes in.

-ChriS

[edit on 17-5-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No politician has to worry about the price of fuel. They just use our tax dollars or ( part dollar now) to fuel their automobile tanks, limousines, private jets, the Air Force One etc... Na! They don't mind it as long as it doesn't interfere with their lifestyle.

[edit on 5/17/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
+1 to what groingrinder said!

cause i think that's the bottom line when is all said and done is 'GREED'! (there might be other factors but i think that's by far the main one)

gas is about $3.90 where im at per gallon (peaked @ $3.99 real recently which is the highest it's been where i live) ... hell, Diesel fuel is even worse!, about $4.5x ish per gallon.

it's just plain greed cause there's NO WAY that gas should cost even half-ish of what it is now... cause even @ 3dollars a gallon they are making a killing but pushing 4 is just plain out of line.... and it all seemed to happen within a year tops.... i can remember when gas was like .99cents a gallon (im 28 years old now) and now in the last 3-5 years ish it started spiking massively in short periods of time.

but the USA (and the world for that matter) is going to hell cause of people getting greedy and all these lobbyist doing shady stuff just so the rich get richer while the average joe get's the shaft.... cause it's a matter of time at the rate stuff is going (house prices/gas/food (i.e. general cost of living)) takes out the middle class and once that happens 'most people' (probably 60-70percent?) will be living poor and something WILL happen ill bet once that happens.

cause as far as i can tell about housing.... it seemed (to me) that around the late late 1990's is when house prices started to skyrocket.... cause now for the price we got our house in 1994 (about 90k) you cant get junk for that price nowadays it seems.

bottom line is the USA (and most of the world for that matter) needs a REBOOT and get back to the basics of the Constitution! ... i know the world cant be perfect but we can sure do better than we are doing now!

just some thoughts as im sure i dont know everything but then again who does when your fed so much bs info out there and dont know what to believe after a while on certain things.

p.s. i hope Ron Paul wins the president but i seriously doubt that will happen... cause if he dont win i really dont care who gets president cause there all corrupt if you ask me besides him cause most of what Ron Paul believes in so do i

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I hate it when people say that "supply and demand" drives the price of anything.

Supply and demand is inapplicable when the supply falls under profound influence of one organization.

Efforts are being taken to prevent competition in the oil industry.

J.D. Rockefeller, Standard Oil: "Competition is a sin!"

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

I have to disagree, except for the crap part.

Corporations, lobbyists, and the government are separate .s on the same monster.

Bush and the republicans are totally botching the middle-east which equals higher oil prices.

The democrats and friends are blocking domestic oil drilling and refinery construction which equals higher oil prices.

Higher oil prices equal massive profits for the oil companies.

Higher profits for oil companies equal massive government tax revenues.

it is a very happy relationship between all parties involved except for the guy paying for all this at the pump and on his tax bill.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Where does McDonnel Douglas begin and the goverment end?

Not sure.

But I do know McDonnell Douglas ended in 1997.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
War is NOT causing the price of oil to increase.

So the fact that oil prices tend to go trough the roof when there are wars in and around the ME is somehow incidental only?

The greedy members of OPEC and the increasing industrial complex in developing nations such as China and India is causing the price of oil to increase.

So lets blame the Arabs ( because that's OPEC according to the uninformed) and the poor people in South East Asia? Can you tell me in which middle Eastern markets oil prices are set and if so how markets such as the IPE and NYMEX ever came into the oil/energy business?

What is sad is that the U.S. has enough oil to support ourselves if only Washington would get off its butt and start getting it.

Well if they started using the hundreds of earths worth of oil still on US soil they wouldn't have the ability to claim that they are fighting for us economic security in the ME and elsewhere now would they? It's all a shell game where they do their very best to at least subconsciously involve you, you need to drive a car after all, in their wars for profit that wont make you a sent of profit and in fact costs you a arm and a leg in terms of pentagon funding that could have gone to infrastructure and or social spending.

Stellar

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
In my opinion we should not seek the end of war as a means to encourage our consumption of oil, but rather, we should seek the end of war so as to divert those expenses into creating renewable sources of energy.

The cost of America's war in the middle East could have easily created the infrastructure to convert the entire countries electricity supply to solar and wind power (as well as nuclear). Once you have a free source of energy this energy will be diverted to transport costs, as electric vehicles will become much more affordable. The net result is that you won't even need the oil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join