It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy In America Is a Series Of Narrow Excapes, and We May Be Running Out Of Luck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
You know what, I can pretty much do anything I want to do. I can say what I want to, work where I want to, not work if I want it that way, I can buy, sell , or trade without needing permission from any agency, I can save my money or I can spend my money, and on whatever I wish to. I can leave my house, my city, my state, my country, at any time I wish. I can drive, walk, use public transportation, or ride with a friend, hell I can hitch a ride if I want. I can buy or cook whatever foods please me and mine. If I want to boat, fish, camp, swim, hunt, vacation, see a movie, or any other form of entertainment, I do it, on my terms and when I want. Yeah, I am pissed about the price of gas, and foods, but I am not starving and I am not without gas. My point is, I feel that I have all the rights and freedoms that I need and want, I mean, somebody tell me what more could you ask for???? I feel I am intelligent enough to know that my life is good, my state is great, my country is awesome, I am happy, and not living on the edge of disaster or hunger, what is wrong with all that? Jeez Loweez, America is Great, Bush sucks , but America, I love it!

All for a fee or tax of course.

And if anyone wants to take that away you can always hire a high priced lawyer to defend you.

Rahrah

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Are you really? Or do you just not know anything beyond what you're given, or expected to do?
Your 'wonderful life' is an illusion. You don't know what life is...

it's called *positive thinking* which is of course a bit of a misnominer, because it's heavily biased in favor of a 'feel-good mindset' while ignoring and denying the mere existance all inconvenient facets of life. i doubt that ignoring that huge iceberg ahead of the ship is a long term-strategy and it's certainly not positive, by any stretch of the imagination.

i advise against arguing with people of this mindset, because it is self-reinforcing, therefore any stimulus will only lead to more more entrenchment, leaving them alone otoh, may or my not achieve any results but you'll save a lot of time in the process.

PS: i've alwaays had the feeling that if the plus-good-think crowd :roll will awake ever, they'll come out once bitter and twice resentful, so caution is recommended.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Sorry, but we did not 'survive' Woodrow Wilson' much less FDR. The creation of the 'Federal Reserve' (Private Bank Cartel) was Unconstitutional since only Congress is allowed to 'Coin' money.

Just another Sheep parroting the Gov't mantra, 'Nothing to See here, Move along, Move along...... I don't need to come to ATS to here that garbage, it's on the news everyday.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by ANOK
Hmmmmm, well sry but if you don't see the patterns that show the inevitability of what our western 'system' will bring upon us, then you are missing something...

Sorry, but I'm not buying what you are selling.
Our western system has made us the superpower and has given us our awesome way of life.

But that's the problem. It's only "awesome" for a select few. The rest of us are on the floor by the table begging for the scraps. That was not, and never has been, the American dream. We are the first generation of Americans who are not expected to do better than our parents.

And that's just the economic side. The rest of the problem lies in the fact that we have allowed them (government, MSM, educators, etc.) to tell us what to believe. And we've bought their lies that they would make our lives easier. But it's only easier if you really don't want to use your brain or your freedoms.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

So... let me get this straight. If I post what I believe and it doesn't agree with your view, I'm a "sheep" or just a parrot and a follower? Fascinating... don't you see the interesting little phenomena you've created here? You call people sheep because they're not following you. Hmmm, did it ever go into one of your ears and hang up on something before flying out the other side that maybe, just maybe some of us have independently come to some conclusions that might disagree with your in the toilet view of America's present state? Particularly on this very website where my viewpoint is far and away in the minority of views currently, in fact in the nation in general, where those who disapprove of the current adminstration far outnumber those who approve of the job they're doing (at least if that pesky MSM is to be believed!) isn't it just a tiny smidgen hypocritical to merely paint my opinion as being that of a sheep given those facts?

Call me condescending, call me a heartless bastard, a horse's ass, hell call me a bag of feminine douching product, but please don't make the mistake of calling me a sheep in the name of dismissing what I have posted. Instead, here's a novel idea, try to actually discuss my points and why you disagree with them! WOW, what a clever concept that would be! I'd like to know how you can say that we've got fewer freedoms today compared with days when entire minority groups were rounded up and placed in interment camps or anyone who dared question the government was jnstantly dubbed a communist sympathiser and either arrested or at the very least their life was ruined when we're simply not seeing those things happening today, particularly not on the level we've seen them happen on in the past.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Animal Farm

Indeed, it is utterly inappropriate to substitute name-calling for topical discussion, so let's not.

Rather, let's please constrain our comments to the topic, not call anyone anything and leave the insults in the schoolyard -- or barnyard, as the case may be -- where they belong.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I hate how excapes are always getting in the way of my escape.
Two lines, quality goodness.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

We hold elections, knowing they are unlikely to bring the corporate state under popular control.

Hmm..

We are not a "democracy".. we are a REPUBLIC. And the members of the Republic (states) elect the head of said Republic. Voters tell the State which way they want them to cast there votes, however, there is no law anywhere that says a State even has to listen to it's people when deciding the Commander and Chief.

There is no such thing of a "popular" vote out side of the State's political boundaries.

I would suggest studying the Constitution and the American Political System before making another rambling rant of a thread based on some politically biased quacks BLOG.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Just because you're content in you're bubble doesn't mean the rest of us are, You're only free for the term your respected party holds office, And as long as the majority allows it...

Your rights have all but become privileges that can be taken away on a whim, and the majority of those privileges are taxed, and you're free?
'
Yeah sure free to decide rather or not you will pay, or go to jail...

You can buy you're home/propery in dreamworld and believe that you own it and keep on living that dream until imminent domain bites you in the ass, or you forget to pay that nice property tax on your? property, oh wait never mind its not yours it's the states...

Or you can go out and buy that nice car with those neat little freedoms you got, and drive it around waving the stars and stripes and paint your face red white and blue if ya want, but don't forget to pay the motor vehicle tax on your? car...

You can work your hide off making all the money you want and then when you get that nice paycheck you see how kind this nice country is, when the government taxes your labor as well...

But you better make sure everything adds up cause if you don't pay your slave tax, you'll be paying hard time...

Democracy isn't freedom, When Man, Majority, or Government can usurp your rights you're not free, You're privileged.

Republic and Democracy are used interchangeably by the status quo even though they are very different.

This Country was and is by the Constitution a Republic not a Democracy.

In a Republic, Your rights are your rights they are not treated as privileges that can be taxed or taken away by the will of the majority.

In a Republic you are free, In a Democracy you are privileged.

And some of you of course are fine with all of this because hasn't screwed you over yet or crossed your path the wrong way, you see things as fine because of that, your happy with your privileges and hey whatever floats your boat, but some of us believe in the Republic this country is, Not the Democracy it has become.

And of course some of you will use the time honored tradition of justifying something really bad with what we have now, Sorry but that don't fly, Bad is bad, The degree to which its applied is of little importance, Die today or Die Tomorrow, I'm sure many would pick Die Tomorrow and scream how bad it must be in the land of Die Today... and say how great it is in the land of Die Tomorrow because after all, you get to live an extra day!

I'm sorry but I pick neither, I pick Die Never, Have fun with your extra day....

[edit on 18-5-2008 by C0le]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I have to laugh every time I see the same people using the same radical-leftist rags as sources for another anti-American tirade. So what is the "Breaking Alternative News" this time? Something Rove said? One of Cheney's facial expressions? Ahh...this time, "we are at a crossroads", and "democracy is in danger of perishing".

Not a single one of these people can admit to being a direct "victim" of the Patriot Act, the "nullification of posse comitatus" or any other alleged infringement or erosion of our rights. Not a one of them.

But it sounds good, to the group-think group, who can only mouth their platitudes, party lines, and sound bites. They have no solutions other than to wail at the wind.

Ask them where else is better on earth. They can't tell you, because the US is far and away the free-est country on earth. There are more opportunities here than anywhere else. And that is because we the people have built our nation to be just that. The whiners, otoh, can only complain about some make-believe "man" that is keeping them down. It's just an excuse for their laziness or incompetence, imo.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
As an American, I agree that we are running out of time... and it's because of American's and there self absorbtion and complacency. I came to these realizations on my recent trots around the globe which were made for my job. Very big eye openers. So much so, that I might consider moving permanently. The people are what make me frustrated, and it isn't so great at home. I feel less safe in my own country in regards to crime, jobs are leaving at an escalating rate (due to cheaper labor elsewhere), and I see no real progress. Just a lot of whining, and people watching American Idol. It is blatantly apparent that those in power are just capitalizing on that quickly, like rats on a sinking ship... hoarding what they can before the bottom falls out. Once that happens, watch out! We will really begin to witness the loss of freedoms. Be happy with your big cars, cheap gas (currently STILL cheaper than everywhere else in the world), buying on credit, and maintaining the attitude that we are righteous in our current foriegn policy of shoot first regardless other country's opinions. We are not the only ones to inhabit this planet... and we are not going to be the money power for much longer than 5 years max! The people currently do still have the power to change things, but I am afraid that everyone in my country is too lazy (or in the mindset that some work is below them) to do anything at all. In conclusion, accept the current status quo. while I make my plans to join the rats, and enjoy this little slice of goodness from a wise, contemporary prophet.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by scarlett1125
But that's the problem. It's only "awesome" for a select few. The rest of us are on the floor by the table begging for the scraps.

That is not the problem. The problem is that you are spoiled and have no idea what it's like to really live in poverty.

Even the poor in the U.S. have a roof over their head, hot & cold running water, indoor plumbing, a TV, a radio, a computer, internet acces, cellphone, a ipod, clothing and food. Some even have a car and more than one sometimes.....etc....etc....

You seem to hate people with money. Most people who have money also started out poor. Our country gives you the opportunity to do the same. Instead of disliking people with money, go out and earn your own and don't expect me to give you my hard earned money. Besides, how many jobs have you received from a poor person?

[edit on 18-5-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I have one thing to say to all of you, you've heard it before but it didn't matter to you (as far as I can tell it still doesn't) here it goes.... United We Stand, Divided We Fall. Get it!??? Do any of you see the constant division on ATS it's a micro example of what is occuring daily across this country.
You either construct or destroy, sitting on the fence is passive destruction.
I'm not much of a poster here because almost all of you can out-argue me anytime but I'm not here to argue are YOU?

[edit on 18-5-2008 by racegunz]

[edit on 18-5-2008 by racegunz]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Freedom is never free or easy. Sometimes one must give their life and reputation and serve a cause bigger than themselves. Let history judge you. If you feel like your freedom is being taken away than FIGHT.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

The homeless have hot water, roofs over their heads, internet connections...?

F

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle
The homeless have hot water, roofs over their heads, internet connections...?

Can you read? We are talking about the working poor and not the homeless.

Please try and stay on topic instead of trying to deflect the point at hand in order to make a lame point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join