It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Text messeging costs £374.49 per MB!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Okay - I have never really been a fan of SMS (having worked for Orange for 2 years had it's advantages)

But here they have calculated that SMS is more expensive than downloading the data from the Hubble space telescope!

The maximum size for a text message is 160 characters, which takes 140 bytes because there are only 7 bits per character in the text messaging system, and we assume the average price for a text message is 5p. There are 1,048,576 bytes in a megabyte, so that's 1 million/140 = 7490 text messages to transmit one megabyte. At 5p each, that's £374.49 per MB.

And because I am a very low usage customer I am on a Pay as you go plan - I'm probably twice that :shk:

It's always made me laugh when people spend all day sending pointless messages... espically those who will always reply to every tiny message with "ok" - what's the freaking point??? - and what about these kids who must still be signing up to those uber expensive message services, you know the sort - they tie you in for a a set number of messages with some lame ass service for like £1.50 a message and 20 messages a month or something :bnghd:

Maybe this should of gone in the rant section!!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hmmm - no replies? (bumpety bump!)

Some one must of seen this cos I just seen it up the top of the screen in the banner

join