It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Rejects Media Consolidation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Senate Rejects Media Consolidation

www.truthout.org

Friday 16 May 2008

On Thursday night, the US Senate initiated the process of overturning an FCC ruling made in December to allow for greater media consolidation.

The joint resolution (S.J Res. 28) passed by an overwhelming margin in a voice vote on the Senate floor.

The resolution, originally sponsored by Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-North Dakota), was cosponsored by Sens. Hillary Clinton (D-New York), Barack Obama (D-Illinois), Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), and a long list of others.

"Today, the Senate stood up to Washington special interests by voting to reverse the FCC's disappointing media consolidation rules that I have fought against," said presidential candidate Barack Obama. "It is essential that the FCC promotes the public interest and diversity in ownership."

Senator Dorgan's communications director Justin Kitsch noted to Truthout, "The next step is for the House to take up the resolution. Senator Dorgan certainly hopes it will move quickly."

Congressman Jay Inslee (D-Washington) has introduced a measure similar to Dorgan's in the House.

The vote demonstrated a strong rebuke of the FCC's controversial rule, (FCC 07-216), which eliminated the 1975 ban on a company from owning both a newspaper and broadcast outlet within a single market.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
EXCELLENT!!!

Despite overwhelming public opposition to this proposal the Republican controlled FCC forced it through anyway in a blatent act of disregard for what the public wants...

...and that is diversity in media... not monopoly.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is the first good thing I've heard from the US in a looong time. If the 50/50 Senate can pass this, hopefully the Democratic House can stand up for the people (who are not served well by media consolidation) and pass their's as well. If this doesn't pass, it's gonna get even more consolidated until it's just Clearchannel, Murdoch papers, and the big four networks.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is the first good thing I've heard from the US in a looong time. If the 50/50 Senate can pass this, hopefully the Democratic House can stand up for the people (who are not served well by media consolidation) and pass their's as well. If this doesn't pass, it's gonna get even more consolidated until it's just Clearchannel, Murdoch papers, and the big four networks.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thing, but it certainly sounds as if the Democrats did the right thing. Indeed, its proof positive that every once in a great while, a blind squirrel can find a nut.

join