It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit were credit is due

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It has been as established that the US has coped a lot of flak some of it deserved for Iraq , torture and other events that have happened post 9-11. Now there is a flip side to all of this which is that the positive policy's and influences should also be acknowledged as a sort of counter balance . I am no fan of the Bush admin but I do think that you can agree with the guy sometimes without being an active supporter .

First some people blindly defended the Bush admin and labelled anyone who was grounded in reality as being anti American . Now we have the opposite extreme of people going to any length to portray the US has evil and the bad guy . Amongst all of this people either forgot or over look the fact that the US regularly gives out humanity(SP?) aid after natural disasters world wide . Bush has also asked for more funding to help fight Aids in Africa . Bush is also a supporter of Free Trade as a way of lifting people out of poverty .

I am not saying that any of this entirely makes up for the Iraq misadventure and other things but people should bear in mind what I have mentioned when thinking about the US role in the world .

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
the truth is that we give humanitarian aid when there is something in it for us--no other reason. the money that is going to Africa is wasted because it is abstinence-only education, and essentially, a government-sponsored religious mission that has done little, if anything, to help the people of Africa.

No one wold respect a father who took care of another family while his own family starved to death. Why should Bush be seen any differently?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
It has been as established that the US has coped a lot of flak some of it deserved for Iraq , torture and other events that have happened post 9-11. Now there is a flip side to all of this which is that the positive policy's and influences should also be acknowledged as a sort of counter balance . I am no fan of the Bush admin but I do think that you can agree with the guy sometimes without being an active supporter .

First some people blindly defended the Bush admin and labelled anyone who was grounded in reality as being anti American . Now we have the opposite extreme of people going to any length to portray the US has evil and the bad guy . Amongst all of this people either forgot or over look the fact that the US regularly gives out humanity(SP?) aid after natural disasters world wide . Bush has also asked for more funding to help fight Aids in Africa . Bush is also a supporter of Free Trade as a way of lifting people out of poverty .

I am not saying that any of this entirely makes up for the Iraq misadventure and other things but people should bear in mind what I have mentioned when thinking about the US role in the world .

You're right that credit should be given where credit is due, but I think you're giving credit where it's not due, not to Bush at least. The US has had a long standing tradition and policy of giving foreign aid, and been active in AIDS and other education programs in less developed countries, especially under Clinton's and the Democratic parties terms in office. Free Trade has been an established policy for over a decade too. Bush has simply followed the status quo on these issues, he has not created them, they were there before he came along and will be there long after he's gone.

Ironically, when it came to humanitarian aid in his own country following Katrina, it was Bush who held it up, not encouraged it, so I think you're opinion is misguided. Give credit, but to those who deserve it.

new topics

join