It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Online "Ego," Screen Names and Personality

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My online persona matches pretty close with my real life persona. There are a couple of diffrences though. In real life I have the tendency to say more one liners but on the reverse side I'm more relaxed and willing to share thoughts with strangers online. I guess I never really learned proper social signals and how to read them. Honesty runs rampant through both though. Once I get to know someone then I'm much better and casual in "real-life"

(Edited to add)
My name comes from a sidekick charachter from an old D&D game.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Deson]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I am more true to my deepest self here at ATS than anywhere else even in RL as people are not willing to accept the things about me that define me. I am not at ease to be myself many places. ATS is one of the only places I know of where I can be who I truly am and feel accepted for it just as I am.

My name is from Nefertari. Wife of Ramesses II and one of the only women in ancient times to be respected as an equal to her husband.

I mispelled the name on purpose and out of respect but also to establish myself as an individual.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ahhh sounds like we are talking about the Ego Superego, and the ID.
well to me I think people are a lot more comfortable when they are online because they do not have face to face interaction and that’s what usually makes it hard for others to speak in front of someone because they don’t have to worry about what they say or how they look. People obtain a different personality on the internet in which can show their more intellect and more talkative side IMO of course.

I think it’s just another way for people to express themselves and get things out easier without them having to talk to someone face to face.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Deson --- that sounds like me as well...

My online persona matches pretty close with my real life persona. There are a couple of differences though. In real life I have the tendency to say more one liners but on the reverse side I'm more relaxed and willing to share thoughts with strangers online.

I have to always remember not to be so blunt, here and in real life.

That's cool about your name coming from the old D&D, my little niece found a box in my basement of my old D&D books LOL...and she's obsessed now with them...she says they aren't at all like the new ones!

NephraTari ---I love the variation of of your name, I won't even attempt to spell the real name
I love your avatar too, it fits your name well. And you're right ATS is a great place to be yourself, I feel right at home with the posters in the topics I am interested in as well

bushidomason --- Yes exactly, the good ole Id, Ego and Super Ego
You didn't share your name ....the mason part is obvious but the beginning?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

oh haha well I have been doing martial arts since I was 3 years old and I like the concept of bushido , its more of a warrior code. Help those who can’t help themselves, defend the weak. etc... It’s like chivalry in a medieval sense

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason
[...]I think people are a lot more comfortable when they are online because they do not have face to face interaction [...]People obtain a different personality on the internet in which can show their more intellect and more talkative side IMO of course.

I think it’s just another way for people to express themselves and get things out easier without them having to talk to someone face to face.

I personaly prefer speaking face to face (admittedly not to strangers though), because firstly I can react quickerand be sure not to hurt someone by forcing information onto them, that they aren't ready for and secondly explaining something slightly differently, so they understand me the way I mean it!

@ 2nd paragraph: It definately is easier to express yourself, because, even I, manage to type my complete, and usually extremly longwinded arguements, without being interrupted. On the other hand.... who says anyone actually manages to read it all! xD

@ my Nickname: I created the name for World of Warcraft. As I am not very creative: I saw a dollar note lying around and made a good sounding semianagramm of the German words 'das Dollar(schein)' (the dollar(note))
BTW it morks with nearly any word, give or take a couple of letters!

Samuel

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join