It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Online "Ego," Screen Names and Personality

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Yes, I can attest that there really is an outside and the sun is in fact very dangerous.

When in the morning, I shed my mild mannered alter ego, ATS Member Semperfortis, and don my uniform; I become SUPER COP and emerge from my ATS cave and into the real world to fight evil and protect the innocent.

da ta da!!!!

"Up Up and Away"

Semper

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

On ATS I am pretty much myself although I am less sarcastic and certain four letter words don't make an appearance . Those who following my postings or listened to my appearance on the AP show will have some idea of my personality . My user name of no great meaning it was just something that I could remember when I signed up .

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Iam exactly the same here, as in real life, as everyone who has spoken to me outside of ATS/BTS will attest to, with the one exception that I swear an awful lot more, but of course..I don't do that here.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I am quite a bit more shy in real life than I am here online, but other than that this is all the real me only with less swearing and no perverse inuendos.

Anyways, I am really into the metaphysical property of different semi-prescious stones. Snowflake obsidian is one of my favorite stones. plain and simple.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am nothing like I am on here in real life. That's not to say I am not being real, it's just that the things I discuss on ATS and the internet in general are things that I do not talk about in real life. In the real world, I am not a conversationalist, and generally do not talk about anything other than "how's the weather today?".

I also would not look like the type person you'd think I am by the topics I discuss, where I am very deep into spirituality, I also am the type of guy that looks like the gritty mid-western steel worker - torch in one hand.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
People would be very surprised by me in real life. I am quite shy and introverted in real life. Some would say that im not comfortable in my own skin. I go out only when it's absolutely necessary and I in general don't talk with anyone. Touching is almost torturous to me. in a job setting I enjoy jobs where there is a desk or counter between be and the other person as to avoid any real interaction with them. It's kind of a buffer zone to me and allows me to be a little bit more outgoing.

If I am for some reason accosted by someone talking to me I adopt a Concierge attitude and be as friendly and accommodating as I can be. This is to ensure that whatever the person that is talking to me gets whatever they want as quickly as possible as to let me go on my way.

On ATS and online I adopt the persona of What U KNO, my name in itself is a question. The only question in my mind. I want to know what you do and I want to listen to your ideas and respond to them. I take your information and assimilate it into my mind. Then down the road I use that same information when a similar situation arises.

[edit on 5/17/2008 by whatukno]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

So kinda like; Powder meets the Borg??

Had weird thoughts about that one in my mind there WUK...lol

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Sorta kinda except I have a wonderful tan from living in Florida and im much less invasive than the borg.

If you went back through my posts one can see the assimilation of other peoples ideas thoughts writing styles and other things in my posts.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
In the real world im usually happy, polite (never swear) and very much a people person. Love having fun and spend time helping others. I work with animals (looking after, giving advice etc) so generally I have a great interest in nature. If im not on here then im down the beach (5 mins away) or off in a forest somewhere. Love being outside in any weather.

On here im not sure how I come across, again try to be polite to people, helpful if I can and like to have fun which is why I stay mainly on BTS. For me BTS is all about the people here.

My flaws, well I can be stubborn, though I call it determined. I can also be sarcastic (sometimes)

JQ

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Odd that so many members of the female sex are assuring us that they're exactly the same offline as on here. No, I don't have a theory explaining it, but I bet it's some deep and powerfully psychological.

Speaking for myself, I have no idea whether I'm the same person offline as on. That's for other people to say. Except, of course, they'll never know. We all live in two worlds now.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

LOL MRPenny cracks me up, I could see him calling someone that or using it in a post. Well it's a good name I like it

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

LMAO JAK...you're too funny...so what about your name? Please don't tell me that Jack is your real name, hence your screen name, too boring lol

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Wow whatukno I would have never guessed that for sure...too funny, well you have an extrovert locked up somewhere in your introvert then

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I tone my personality WAY down on here
And I have to be very careful because I cuss a lot so I am constantly erasing expletives in my posts. And I am extremely sarcastic in real life
So I am way more polite on here then I normally would be to idiots....but I am always polite to people I like

I also have to keep myself from typing sarcastic one liners a lot on here ...I wish there was a forum on here where we could have no rules at all LOL I think that would be hilarious.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
My persona on ATS is similar in real life and has alot of meaning to me. As you can see I am a huge TOOL fan and TOOL is the main reason I found this site to begin with. TOOL and Maynard have given me so much, I can not even begin to explain how their music has changed my life. It has sparked me to pursue the possibilities of life, and given me the signs I need to proceed.

TOOL and Maynard play a large roll in my life. They are a tool just like their name states. A tool for the people to use to pursue what we all are looking for, truth. Schism is a song on TOOLs album Lateralus and 85 was the year I was born. So That explains it. I like to be discreet, I am very private and I would not want to reveal alot about myself. "All you know about me is what I sold ya".

TOOL is the best.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
LA, this is a great thread. It's been quite interesting getting to know other members this way. Me, I'm totally quiet and reserved. HEHE

Originally posted by whatukno
Some would say that im not comfortable in my own skin.

Apparently I'm not either because my husband tells me that I'm always crawling under somebody elses skin.

I go out only when it's absolutely necessary and I in general don't talk with anyone.

Opposite for me, I never shut up. Maybe that's why I get under thier skin.

I still need to know why the pileated wp is carrying a match? I have one residing in the back. I'm trying to get a picture for ya, but it senses my presence everytime I try.

Originally posted by Astyanax
Odd that so many members of the female sex are assuring us that they're exactly the same offline as on here. No, I don't have a theory explaining it, but I bet it's some deep and powerfully psychological.

Because woman don't have an ego attached to all they say and do. I'm just guessing, of course.

Originally posted by LateApexer313
I also have to keep myself from typing sarcastic one liners a lot on here ...I wish there was a forum on here where we could have no rules at all LOL I think that would be hilarious.

OMG! That would be the best thing ever. You have got to post that on the board. I think there is a ATS/BTS Ideas thread here. I can't believe that I haven't been fined like a bazillion pts. for my off topic one liners.

Rush

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Myself on ATS and Reallife are completely diferant.
Neither is the 'real me' however. To be honest I feel like I've got to put on an act strangely where ever I go. :S I would say my sig is the real me.

[edit on 18/5/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I am me, if it annoys you don't mess around in my life get (your own) a life!
If I'm wrong, teach me the truth. If I'm right get out of my way, otherwise I'll :bash: the truth into you!
Apart from that, I'll always help, on- or offline.
And imho, a 'bad' day is a wasted day (and life is to short to waste a whole day), so my colleagues will catch me singing to the radio and generally putting smiles on peoples faces by (supposedly) not taking anything to seriously.
(Although believe me, I take everything dead serious!)
The only big differences, or so I hope, between me on and offline is that offline I swear way too effin' much and online I sadly can't derail a thread with oneliner comments! Muahaha that would be fun, but everyone of us knows that ATS is way to high quality to be able to do that.
@ John Q: BTW, I live on a boat near Plymouth: are you anywhere around here?

So, that's me. Please have a good evenin' and when you see this you will sadly have to smile:

Why? 'cause always being serious won't getcha nowhere, init? xD xD xD

Samuel

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think everybody at one time or another has puffed up their online personality in some way. While there are a lot of negative consequences of people acting "phony" on the internet, there are some benefits. For one thing, the internet gives introverted people a chance to come out of their shell and anonymously practice interacting with other people. If you are a young man and you want to know how to talk to women, I suggest you practice anonymously online. You will learn what turns women off and what can keep them engaged. Another benefit that can come from people acting differently on the internet is that people can air out politically incorrect or taboo views, that could not be discussed without the anonymity of the internet.

At the end of the day however, the only way you can have a meaningful and continuous conversation with people on the internet is to deflate your puffed up ego. If your ego is too puffed up, nobody on the internet will engage you. They will quickly dismiss you as another immature troll.

Most of us have online personalities that are slightly puffed. When we do engage people online, the only way we can keep them engaged is to deflate ourselves. People will eventually dismiss your slightly puffed up personality unless you deflate it. This may mean softening your hard line view, admitting your frailities, and conceding that the other person might be correct.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I am myself and nobody else. Tomorrow, I might be in a different mood. But I'll still be myself. That's the whole point, isn't it?...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join