It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Online "Ego," Screen Names and Personality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hi all,

I was just thinking about all the different personalities on a site like this.

How some people adopt a "persona" or personal "trademark" while they are online which may or may not be tied to their choice of screen names, their quotes or profiles and I was wondering...

How many ATS'ers are pretty much themselves on here as they are in "real" life, how many have adopted a role or a character, and why, and in general, what does your screen name mean to you or your persona, what message do you want it to portray to the rest of us and how does this play into your interaction with others on a site like this?

I love to "people watch" online and off, so I was just curious

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am myself online. I believe it is very harmful to the self and everyone to be dishonest. My screen name is a combination of many things on varying levels of understanding. Eye is in reference to awareness amongst other things. My first name also begins with an E. Open is in reference to an open mind amongst other things.

Doors is in reference to the band The doors (Which I enjoy very much), and also to Aldous Huxley. Brave New World was one of the first books that shook my world view up. There are also other meanings that I will leave open to interpretation.

The message I would like people to get is to be open, have vision, and this will break down doors. Amongst other things that I also would like others to interpret on their own. I don't know how it plays into my interactions with others. Perhaps it's a reminder to myself?

[edit on 5/17/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Interesting topic.

I try to be ME, as much as I can be, online.
I've noticed that those who adopt larger than life versions of themselves eventually become exhausted, in a manner of speaking. If the persona strays too far from their REAL LIFE self, it's hard to keep up the charade.
d-Ego Burnout.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

Hi Eye...

Great screen name and now that you explained it, even more interesting to me.

Given the choice of the Doors, and "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley being of significance to you...I would guess that you are in your 40's, I could be wrong and you don't have to say either way....

You put a lot of thought into your screen name, it means a lot to you obviously as you say on many levels...excellent and thanks for sharing! I also like the image you choose to display...the one eye on top of a pyramid, it fits you

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Hi spacedoubt...

Interesting screen name you have...care to share how you chose it?

I agree at the people that try to pull off, say a 180 degree difference between their real personality and their "online" one. Much like compulsive liars without a good enough memory to keep their stories strait.

When I think of your screen name, spacedoubt, in and of itself, the last thing I expect to see in your avatar is a monkey with a dog on top....that's why I love hearing about why people choose the screen names

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'd like to think that I am as much me as I can be online.
My username is based on my interest of "watching, seeking out, reading about "World" events and affairs. The Bollywood Avatars were chosen because I'm a proud woman of Indian descent who has an insane obsession with Bollywood movies (even though I barely speak any Hindi)
I participate in topics that interest me and share as much of the real me as I can on the internet.

Oh and I'm not that much into myself to go around claiming my "worldwatcher" identity on any or every website. I'm worldwatcher here and that's it.

Interesting questions btw...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

ok Spacedoubt..pronounced Spaced out.....An astronomy reference..and something that happens when my wife talks for extended periods of time.

For the monkey and dog, I actually changed back to that Avatar today, as a tribute to Mirthful Me's Birthday...I usually use a Maxwell Smart based avatar, because the expression on his face, is similar to a look I get on my face from time to time...a bit smug..

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Ok, I promise to be good. Good question(s). Hmmmmm....nope/yep I'm pretty much the same here as I am here. And if you couldn't tell, I love to laugh, and I love to make others laugh, hence the signature. I think that's why I hang out in BTS so much. Sometimes I just can't think of anything serious to say in ATS.

Screen name: Rush 2112 (hsur just to confuse). My favorite album (showing my age). One of the best years, best concerts and best night's of my life. Ok, except for getting married, having kids and all that. Music was always a big part of my life growing up. I'm having alot of trouble with it nowdays. Kids with anger issues, screaming so hard into a mike that they spit, I don't get it.

Ok, and your screen name, it has something to do with racing, right? I took some of my first steps at the Indpls. Motor Speedway, my dad worked in the tower charting times.

Rush

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am a people watcher also. We humans are a strange looking race.

I chose to use this screen name many years ago when personal computers first became available to the public. I am a blond and decided to make a name that would sound silly and scatter brained. It has gotten me some laughs when giving it to lawyers, accounts and the many other professional people deal with.

I have been a member of many forums and chat groups and usually use the same screen name so others will know it's me.

What you see is what you get. I am the same online and in real life.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ok I gotcha Space, I remember your Maxwell Smart avatar, if you're the same one that is....laughing at you@ spacing out when your wife talks too much too funny! Is your wife on ATS as well?

WorldWatcher I read your thread about cooking...yummy
Great pics too by the way, of the different dishes! I like your name as well, great choice. I have never heard the term Bollywood, but then I live in Ohio :
Don't hold that against me!

Rush 2112 wow a blast from the past I remember that album, great album
We are probably the same age then lol....I loved the group Rush back in the day so I can see why you picked that name, especially if it was the best concert of your life

And yes, I love your quote, that's probably why you and I connect, we love to laugh...in between the UFO stuff we like

Yeah I picked my name for the racing term

[edit on 16-5-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Hiyah Dizziedame!

Never let em' see you coming, blindside them in other words
I like your approach, lull them into a false sense of superiority with the preconceived notions concerning the name, then lay waste to them when they underestimate you
A great strategy!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

thanks and no I won't hold it against you, being that you're from Ohio and all...

Bollywood is India's version of the Hollywood movie industry.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I am most definitely the same in real life as I am on ATS. I throw in lame, unfunny jokes to almost every post I write on here (I assure you I chuckle shamelessly at my own stupidity), I show off my tattoo every chance I get (again, shamelessly) and I never take anything too seriously.

I've had the online name "Toy Soldier" for years now. I use it for all online games and other websites too. It was inspired by the Metallica song, Where The Wild Things Are. The bit where he sings "Toy Soldiers off to war...". Because the first online game I played as Toy Soldier was the WWII game, Medal of Honor.

Not a massive fan of metallica, but I absolutely loved that song once upon a time.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I got my name by a comment made by a member here, so I joined.

I was a fan before I joined by just reading, and the comment made by the member cinched my name for me.

Thanks, MrPenny!

I like to keep people guessing, so I don't have an avatar, and no information on my profile.

While it suits other people, it just isn't my style. While the pictures and profiles are nice, that is not what I visit here for!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i'm the same person offline.

crude, and possessing somewhat of a..perverted sense of humor.

my screen name is the name of my favorite rapper lordinfamous. he raps about mysterious things..and uses great metaphors and such. i like metaphors and all that so that's why i have this screen name. he's a different kind of rapper as well as a different kind of person. i'm different myself in a lot of ways.

however..my screen name might just be becoming "me" as well. i somehow make enemies easily. i don't know why..and ppl seem to take me the wrong way, and give me looks like they don't like me. this has been happening on here as well lol. those ppl obviously have negative opinions of me thus making me infamous.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by LordInfamous]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
With me, what you see is what you get.

Call me on the phone and i'm the same way.

I have called people here and they have all been extremely nice funloving people!

I dont think we have too many phonies here at all.

I'm always HYPER and laughing no matter what. (I'm stockpiling my meds for the UFO flyover or the Coup, so i may act a wee bit strange sometimes but it will all be worth it in the end) I'll be the one that goes fully medicated with a smile on my face and the purple drape.

JAK

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Real life?

Have you people really seen the outside? What's the sun like, does it burn and blind like they say? Isn't it dangerous out there?

Please answer, even if you make it up. I so like to hear the stories.

Jak

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I am pretty much the same online or off, so no big alter ego thing where I'm concerned. My screen name comes from two different sources: my perserverence in weathering and "riding" the storms of life and one of my all-time favorite songs is "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors. The two just kind of came into my mind at the same time when I was thinking about what to call myself on line.

I find myself wandering away from ATS for periods of time due to other life adventures, but I always seem to come back.
Also, as you can tell by my avatar, I am a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I am exactly the same here as in RL...

I have spoken with several members and they can attest to that..

I'm a butt here and in real life..

"Semperfortis" is Latin for "Always Strong", I had the vanity plate of Semper for years and years and after the Marines I just kind of adopted "Semper" as a motto..

Semper

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Good one, Jak.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join