It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to recover my serial key for a pc game (Legally)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ok I was just wondering does anyone know how to get the serial key to a PC game without having the box?

Like is there anyway to go into the game and find that code?

Just wondering about this because I recently got a new computer and want to put one of my games on it, but the thing is I lost the box and dont rember what the code was.

So can anyone help me?

Mod edit: title

[edit on 5/18/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Check the games main web site. they may have the ability to provide a key if you're lucky.

*snip*

Mod Edit: to remove advice to illegally acquire code. Please review the terms and conditions of use.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Mod Edit: to remove advice to illegally acquire code. Please review the terms and conditions of use.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
If the game is multiplayer then it's often you can find a 'CD-key changer' on the net... which allows you to change the CDkey in case you've got banned. Anyway, they usually list your current CD-key...

You can also try copying over files from your previous installation of the game. Doesn't work with most newer games however.

[edit on 18/5/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
if you still have your old pc you can find the Cd Key in the computers registry, i just cant for the life of me remember how

try googleing this method

sorry i cant be of more help

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivzm
if you still have your old pc you can find the Cd Key in the computers registry, i just cant for the life of me remember how

Start > run >regedit

then hunt through one of the HKEY (I think). Good places to look are the company name of who made the game eg EA games, etc.

For my computer I have one like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > THQ > name of game

Then look for the one which looks like a CD key. Of course if it encrypts it which I half expect newer DRM probably does, then thats not overly helpful.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex

Originally posted by ivzm

Start > run >regedit

then hunt through one of the HKEY (I think). Good places to look are the company name of who made the game eg EA games, etc.

For my computer I have one like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > THQ > name of game

Then look for the one which looks like a CD key. Of course if it encrypts it which I half expect newer DRM probably does, then thats not overly helpful.

Good chance it will be in there.... but dont they encrypt the keys?? I thought they did, but maybe not for all games.

-fm

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I thought they would nowadays, but C&C3 (which came out last year) doesn't encrypt the key in the registry. Neither do all 4 Dawn of War games.

f course even if they did encrypt them people would find a way to decrypt them, people can get round most other DRM anyway. Most of the time it's the user who isn't using it illegally who gets most inconvenienced by the DRM.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by apex]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

mmmm, its a pitty DRM has turned out so bad for the end users. Oh well....

new topics

top topics

join