It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese blamed for the world's ills

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye
Thanks, and I guess maybe I am 'blessed' in that respect. Hopefully that post will point out what I tried to say in my previous one, that fat doesn't always make you fat. That is simply a myth that is behind another attempt to remove certain people from the ability to enjoy what society has to offer - to conform or be tormented. It has been done already to me (a smoker), and while I may feel bitter about not being able to enjoy a meal out, or a movie, or even a stroll through a shopping mall, I do not want to see yet another class of people subjected to the same thing.

The theme of ATS is 'Deny Ignorance', and it seems there is plenty to be denied on this subject.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Have to agree with mybigunit... Damn this happens a lot.

There's been a bit of an epidemic lately in my home area, that I will bet is not unique. We get a LOT of illegals from Mexico. I believe these are the poorest of Mexico running up here to the states.

But in my area, they are mostly all fat. I wonder if all the poor in Mexico are the same, or if they go into "culture shock" here, with food all over the place? After a hard day of work, they are able to drive through ANY fast food, and get loads of unhealthy hamburgers, for $1 a piece.

I've heard it said, that many poor people develop a sense for this. When times are GOOD, they EAT. Subconscious thing, after there being so many days of going without.

Is Portland the only place with overweight illegals, or what? LOL

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
One dimension I haven't seen explored is the inverse relationship in developed nations between wealth and obesity.

Generally, the wealthy elites are svelte and trim, due to their personal chefs and nutritionists. They can afford membership at a gym (or have it as an executive perk at their office, country club, or condo). They eat better food, health food and can afford affectations such as "organic" and "free range." If they are obese now, they can afford a relatively expensive diet program of frozen pre-cooked meals. Failing that, they can drop several thousand for elective gastric bypass surgery that is unavailable without insurance.

On the other hand, the poor eat crap.

Fast food is consumed by the working poor, not the idle rich. Not a lot of gourmet meals call for ramen noodles or baloney. People who do shift work frequently eat out of a vending machine, eat standing up, or are alotted 12 minutes for a "lunch hour." I know guys who spend their lunch "hour" sitting in the vehicle line at a fast food restaurant, and then gulp down the food while riding back to the office--and none of them are exactly vice presidents.

Like the attack on smokers (also poor people), the attack on obesity is a thinly disguised class war, used to lock you in to your current role in society.

Altogether, it's another sign that the globalists look down on the working classes, and want to tax them because they're already relatively poor.

Good work, globalist oppressors.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I guess there are so many things you can blame for everything in this world but only one thing to be true. If you're happy with yourself whether you're shinny, medium size or just plain fat then who cares what others think. People can talk all they want about someone else but until they experience what they talk about then it's jibberish. Also people are all different. Some can eat tons of food but their high metabolism keeps them skinny. Others can do everything right and still gain weight. I guess we all need to know that we don't know crap about obesity because to many things factor in with it. Obese is just a word not the fact. We are all unique and have our own problems and situations in the circle of life and need to worry more about fixing ourselves before we look at others and their problems.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...
Remember there isn't JUST one reason for obesity,
When we were hunters and gathers feeding on nuts berries and lean meat, I imagine most of our caloric intake, and time, was spent trying to.
FIND FOOD!
It is unnatural to not want to eat, eating is survival, it is a natural survival instinct.
So we now have over abundance, we no longer eat nuts and berries, and expend calories looking for them, but we still have this tribal survival instinct, plus the fat cells to protect us from starvation, which are now working against us instead of being a protection mechanism.

A study was done on native Americans and obesity, when they were put back on their natural ancestral diet they lost weight.

I am sure the RUDE Asian lady lilit or whatever her name was, may still eat the food of her ancestors.

I too believe medication and food additive play a huge role.

But hey global warming doesn't even exist, so here we are pointing the finger at the obese because of a a SCAM

How ironic!!!!!

PLUS, it is unatural to exercise, we are programed to conserve energy, why do you think most people hate it?

[edit on 083131p://bSaturday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Here are two more theories, from the ranks of the insane,

Global warming may increase prevalence of kidney stones disease
May 15th, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by admin - Email This Post

Washington, May 15 (ANI): Global warming may lead to an increase in kidney stones disease, says a new study.

Dehydration has been linked to stone
www.thaindian.com...

GLOBAL WARMING – LEFT’S LATEST EXCUSE FOR THE WAR ON THE FAMILY

By Don Feder

May 9, 2008

Procreation is killing the planet, and traditional religion is to blame, Global-Warming cultists insist.

First the industrial revolution had to go. Then it was to the wall with oil company executives, those malignant Carbon Interests. Next, SUVs were declared enemies of the planet.

Now, the left’s attention has shifted back to its perennial targets – large families and “patriarchal” religion.
www.donfeder.com...

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

That is exactly my point, and realizing it would change not only a lot of people's perceptions of others, but the ability for the powers that be to hold mankind under their viselike conformity standards. That's the fastest I have hit the star button since I arrived at ATS.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

You do show a good example of pure thought.

It is true of humanity throughout history that we place blame for our suffering on other people, and yet we refuse to acknowledge that true suffering comes from within.

When others seek to use that fact to their advantage - by showing others a reasonable target for blame, that person merely stands to spread suffering without acknowledging that his own suffering, his own dissatisfaction with the world, is the true cause of inequality in the world.

The time will come when people realise that they are the cause of their own suffering, and while others may learn to overcome the psychological human condition in time - all will eventually understand why it is people seek to better their fellow man.

You've put a smile on my face, Solar.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It took reading this thread to make me realize that, so thank you all for bringing me back to reality.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I got sick of reading through the thread, as it is obese with ignorance.

If obesity in America today is predominantly about bad choices, then someone please explain to me how so many people suddenly decided to start making these bad choices in one generation. Did everyone really suddenly decide on their own to start making bad choices, or are there really larger social factors at work here? Social factors that do indeed fall upon all of society to take responsibility for, not just the afflicted.

Who's fault is this?

Sure, blame the parents. The parents love killing their own children slowly.

But at least you only have to blame the parents for eighteen years, and then you can turn your blame on these poor kids who never had a chance to start with.

The simple fact of the matter is, the primary cause of obesity is the low nutritional levels in our foods. This is done intentionally, for profit. The people who are in control reap enormous profits by selling us "food" with little or no nutritional value to start with. And then turn a tidy profit when people get sick because of it. But of course, they don't really offer a cure, and the victims wind up dieng young and penniless. It's a vampire scheme. Fatten them up for the slaughter. And we have morons on this thread defending the #ing vampires!

Here is how it works, directly. You are hungry, you have no time to cook on your way to your second job. You stop and get some fast food "value" meal that has the normal maximum daily intake of fat and calories. You eat it. An hour later, you are hungry again. Why? Because of the hormones in the food, that chemically induce hunger. But there's more.

The meal you just ate, had very little real nutritional value. So while your stomach is full, your body is still sending signals to the brain calling for nutrients, and thereby triggering hunger. But of course, you can't eat anything else until tomorrow, because you've already met your fat and calorie intake for the day. What do you do? Either you eat another low-nutrient meal. Perhaps even five or six a day just to try to get the nutrients you need, or you literally begin to starve. Not from lack of food, but from lack of nutrition.

Twenty percent of people with diabetes are not overweight. So that means that obesity does not cause diabetes. Diabetes is caused by poor nutrition. Obesity is a symptom of the body trying to fight off the effects of poor nutrition.

And don't think that if you stay away from fast food that you are safe. Even food you think is healthy can lead you down this viscious cycle of overeating calories in an attempt to gain essential nutrients. All of the produce in your supermarket is irradiated, and therefore nearly stripped entirely of whatever nutrients happen to be left after being grown under conditions that make the food virtually useless. Except for profits of course. You think that's a tomato you're eating? Yeah right. Not any more. Resembles a tomato, but has the flavor and nutrition of a red notebook. Or take the humble potato. The salvation of the Irish. An approxiamate 80% loss in nutrition across the board in the last few decades.

So to all you morons who blame the individuals for obesity, all I can do is laugh and stuff my face with this cheeseburger knowing that you're next on the meat hook.

[edit on 5/17/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I dont disagree to an extent. I agree with you in the fact that the food anymore does suck there is no nutrition at all. Its loaded with growth hormones and anti biotics and all that fun crap. Like I posted earlier I was starting to get up there till I started lifting like mad and now the jiggles are gone and I have some pythons (Except for some in the love handle area cant get rid of some jiggles there) There is some healthier stuff out there not much and it is a premium price so most people cannot afford to buy it and Im sure here soon that will be gone too. But the reason why the jiggles for me was coming because I got married and got complacent. Now Im just speaking for myself I have a friend who is large and he goes to the gym and it doesnt help him at all. Then I watch the biggest loser and see people I would never guess lose the weight.

I dont blame obesity for the worlds illness I blame the worlds illness for obesity but that person earlier who said it was our sick culture that makes us fat kinda pissed me off and thats why I responded. Maybe Im wrong

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Well, our culture is sick really. It has been diseased by profiteering corporations who pump it into our brains that we have to live like this. We are virtually powerless against it.

The kid who brings a piece of fruit and sips from the fountain for snack time will be ridiculed mercilessly, even to the point of violence. The kid who brings in the latest snacky-cake and sugar juice becomes the leader of the class.

And not only is it a matter of direct merchandising. Throwing these products in our faces relentlessly everyday, everywhere we look. But it is also the fact that we no longer have the time to do what it takes to prepare descent food. Who has the time to grow a garden? Get fresh food from the market every night, if you're lucky enough to get out of work before the place closes? We have been forced to accept that we cannot even survive unless you are a two-income family. There's no one at home to make dinner, or to get the healthy foods. I know of families who's children are working, not to save for their future, but to contribute to the household today, so that they can eat and keep the power turned on.

Society is sick. Very sick. But who's fault is that really? No more the individual's fault now than it was to catch small pox.

But this time the disease is engineered by man, for profit.

[edit on 5/17/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
All I can say is, when you let someone else take care of the food for you then you will suffer all the after affects. Grow your own and get back to the good ways of feeding yourselves is safer. Or you truly investigate the food you're eating before hand. When I talk to my co-workers about farming your food they always say they don't have enough room. Well I guess if you choose to live downtown with everything surrounding you then that's true. But if you have a back yard that everyone thinks looks good and green then plow it up and grow some food. Hell even a small front yard would work, but corn and tomato's aren't as pretty as those elephant ears and tulips.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I would highly recommend to anyone who has the means, that they should be growing their own food. That's a given as far as I'm concerned.

But the reality is, that it takes more than a yard or a bit of land to do it successfully. It takes some money to start with. Money a lot of people can't come up with when their power bill is already two months overdue. Which then leads us right into time. If you're already working two jobs and you're still behind on your bills, you probably won't have the time or the energy to invest in growing your own food.

So, in short, anything that anyone can do to eat and live healthy, people should be doing. But I do not overlook the myriad of obstacles placed before people. These are not excuses, these are the facts of life in modern America.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Actually when I was in the Air Force none of us were forced to do any exercise whatsoever. We never had physical training every day like the army does. We did that a few times when we were in basic training. We had to do a certain amount of situps a certain amount of pushups and run 2 miles within the timeframe I could have walked it. After that no exercise was required of us for the entire 6 years I was in.

Some of these guys got huge. Most of them were fine and healthy. But if you got over a certain body fat ratio they forced you to get out unless you could lose X amount of pounds in X amount of time. I know a guy who gained 60 pounds in 6 months and basically got kicked out.

The way the AF used to calculate your body fat was pretty bogus though. It was all based on your height. So you could have me be 220 and be fine. Another guy could be 4 inches shorter and be 220 and he would be very near breaking the limits the air force has in place. Even though the guy may not have that much fat on his body at all. There were a few guys I can remember who barely were able to stay in because of that. Doesn't make much sense..

-ChriS

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
DBL POST

[edit on 17-5-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

There was a guy who tried to get into the Army when my brother joined. They wouldn't take him because he was too heavy. Rock solid muscle. Not to the point of being grotesqe, but a real bonecrusher nonetheless. Army wouldn't take him, and he was one of the healthiest people I've ever known.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox
That is an amazing graph you posted, jack.

You're right on target. I can tell a difference now between how I feel after a buffet and after a couple of those Big Macs. Maybe the nutrition levels in artificial food have dropped in the last decade alone, or perhaps I am just getting older and am more susceptible to my nutrition needs. But either way, the result is that I have less energy, less stamina, and less alertness after eating fast food than after eating a decent meal.

I mentioned the effects of Cortisol a few posts back. It is produced in response to stress. Well, that stress can be mental or physical. Fill your car tank up with diesel next time you need gas and see if that stresses your engine. If it ever runs again, I will be surprised.

The only way to stop this, unfortunately, is for people to refuse to be poisoned any more. Stop eating those Big Macs, and start demanding real food instead of partially-hydrogenated soybean oil (which is a polymer, translation: plastic!). I say unfortunately because I doubt people are smart enough, or free-thinking enough, or informed enough, or whatever you blame for the rampant ignorance to have the guts to say "No, I am not going to eat that."

I'm growing pinto beans, black-eyed peas, corn, potatoes, and a few other veggies myself now. Still working on it, but I hope to have a chicken-house soon for eggs and meat. The food chains can take all this processed quasi-food and stuff it. I plan on having real food again.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Right on brother Im in the works right now doing my house in Iowa on 17 acres. When the deal goes through Im going to be a gardening fool. That is a good graph by jack...he does find the good stuff. I quit eating mcDonalds 8 months ago I rarely go. I agree fast food is bad real bad

[edit on 18-5-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
I would highly recommend to anyone who has the means, that they should be growing their own food. That's a given as far as I'm concerned.

Luck favors the prepared! If our economy completely goes under then we may just end up trying to survive like in Mad Max n stuff
. People getting ripped apart over gasoline and crap.

I dunno if it will get that bad but if it does then at least those who prepare now would have a better chance of survival further down the tube. I know I have plans for my family and I in case that happens. If you don't have a plan then you don't have any way of surviving if that were to happen. I'm not really a doom and gloomer but you gotta be prepared man! If you have a family then you should be considering your options now.

-ChriS

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join