It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese blamed for the world's ills

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There was a report on the news just this week that talked about the growing number of people in the US who are taking prescription drugs (all because they're eating the government toxic sludge they call 'food'). A lot of prescription drugs cause weight gain as well, so when you have people eating chemical-laden food that causes obesity, then taking prescription drugs that cause obesity, then practice these so-called "diets" advertised on TV (which contain the chemicals that cause food addiction, cravings and obesity), you're gonna end up with obese people who have no chance in hell of losing weight (unless they wake up and see the truth and stop consuming the poison altogether).

I'm living proof. I weighed 97 lbs my whole life up until I went on antidepressant drugs. A week later I was over 100 lbs and 6 months later I was up to 140 lbs (no change in my diet whatsoever).

After several years on the meds (and never deviating from the 140 lbs), I attempted to go off the meds. After 6 months, my weight was down to 120, but my depression returned so I had to go back on the meds. Within a couple of months my weight went back to 140.

After another couple of years, I found out the truth and realized it was the food that was causing my depression. So I stopped eating the toxic crap and got off the medication. That was a year ago and my weight is now back down to 120. I think that since my body is now on a healthy diet, it's processing more effectively and I'm dropping about 1-2 pounds per week.

All those chemicals in the body stops it from processing food, water and oxygen the way it's designed to. My body used to eliminate waste a few times per week... now it's often 2-3 times per day! All because I stopped eating chemicals! My body is on its way to being super healthy. The sad thing is that it took me so many years to discover the truth. Most other people never do because they think the truth is what's being bombarded at them through mainstream media and their doctor.

I don't trust doctors anymore because I realize that they don't even know what's healthy and what's not. When I tell a doctor how I cured my own depression, they give me a blank stare like I just landed from another planet. Same thing with the vet when I tell them how I stopped my cat from dying of kidney failure by taking her off mainstream petfood and treated her with homeopathic medicine. One vet got totally flustered when he couldn't find a single dogfood that my dog didn't have allergic reactions to. He never once suggested organic dogfood that doesn't contain toxic chemicals. Was he hiding the information to keep me returning for visits? Or was he truly not aware of the toxic food supply?

We have to take control of our own health because no one else is going to do it.

People suffering from obesity need to just stop eating processed food, meat and dairy products and switch to fresh organic fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. After a short period of time, the change starts to happen. The cravings will stop and the body will naturally trim down to it's ideal weight. The illnesses will disappear because healthy foods are medicinal and they will heal the body better than any prescription drug!

Oh... and they have to completely and utterly ignore TV ads and the media - they are lying and scamming to get your money - that's it.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I agree that the majority of obese people are only that way because they're lazy and eat badly, plain and simple and to illistrate my point i'm going to share my own little story.

Over a year ago now i became very ill, i can't move around much anymore apart from potter around the house and i started to put on weight. I used to think i was naturally very thin but looking at it i was that thin and muscular because i was always exercising and ate well. Every day i'd be doing something whether it was marital arts, weight training, jogging, rock climbing etc.

So i started to put on weight, i put on around 12 lbs and decided that something had to be done before i got big. So i did something really complicated, it's a big secret and i'm going to share it, it's revolutionary.

I stopped eating as much.

That's it ladies and gentlemen, that's all i had to do, i eat extremely well, very healthy and yet i was still gaining weight, i just had to cut back on the amount i was eating because i wasn't doing the same level of activity anymore. I'm now back to the same weight i was when i was active, if you added up the calories i consume in a day it's around 1800 i would guess. That's below what doctors recommend for an active person but of course i'm not active any longer so i have to adjust things.

When i go below a certain weight i eat a little more and when i go to high i eat a little less, i have a very balanced weight simply by controlling what i eat. The only reason to be obese is you are inactive and eat badly. There may be a small percentrage on steroid drugs, or who have a thyroid problem that have trouble losing weight, but even they don't have a real excuse to be overweight. I say that because hypothyroidism runs in my family on the female side and none of them are overweight because they're active and eat well, so that little excuse is pathetic.

The question is whether they should be allowed to be obese, well we live in a free society and so yes of course if that's their choice they should be allowed to live as they please, i must say though it sickens me because when i see an obese person i just think they're lazy, greedy people. The majority are, simple fact.

People who consume 4000+ calories in a day and then complain about being overweight absolutely drive me nuts, drop the burger and do some walking! Oh and don't get me started on things like aeroplane seats, why exactly does someone who weighs 25 stone get the same baggage allowance i do? They use as much fuel as two normal people just themselves.

Sorry for that little rant but this one gets right up my nose, i'm ill and can't do anything, if they want to sit around all day i would happily give them my malfunctioning body and take theirs, get it in shape and continue my active, healthy lifestyle.

[edit on 17-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I started becoming overweight when I moved to KY. My diet didn't change much. Some things I was used to eating didn't exist out here, so I had to change brands. I was attending a large university and thus having to walk at least a mile a day, yet the weight kept piling on. I started eating less and less and I gained more and more anyway. I am now nearly 100 pounds overweight, eat once or twice a day sometimes, and cannot lose weight. I have health problems which keep me from being able to exercise much nowadays. I was in a bad car wreck few years ago. I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's disease (autoimmune disease), which I believe I've had since childhood due to having my symptoms since then. Most healthy foods actually make me quite ill. If I eat vegetables, I get bad stomach pain where I cannot function. I've been that way since I was a kid though and I would refuse to eat vegetables and kept saying they hurt my stomach and was called a liar all the time. I have a bladder disease too so I cannot eat hardly any fruits at all because the acid in them make my bladder hurt really bad and sometimes bleed. I bleed from my intestines too. Oatmeal messes with my intestines like vegetables do. Healthy stuff makes my intestines bleed badly. My body doesn't process food like it should and never has as far as I can recall. I eat a lot of stuff like chicken because chicken doesn't bother me. I get so tired of eating same stuff all the time, but get sick if I eat something else.

I've been reading lately where autoimmune disease may be linked to various stuff, including mercury in fillings and those vaccinations wonderful parents forced upon their children at the urging of society and the government. Could there be something in the vaccinations and other things that lead to obesity as well? I've read that there's embalming fluid as well as mercury in those shots.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I hate to say it, but my "stinking dog" has more value to me and others who know him than most people.

Then you need to get out more. In most cultures "pets" are not held at a higher value than one's fellow human beings. That is the norm. Of course the rest of the world isn't quite so narcissistic as western cultures. The desire for animals which mindlessly grovel at the feet of their owners is an evident symptom of the pathology.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by metro
reply to post by sc2099

I don't know about you, but my girlfriend is 5'3" and weighs in at 115. If you honestly think that is considered too much for the average person to maintain then you have some serious perception issues. Not only is that NOT hard to maintain, requiring you to actually eat something that isn't a golden brown, but it is also very easy to maintain with a reasonable exercise habit.

If you are too damn lazy to exercise 3 times a week, then perhaps you should really hold your mouth when it comes to these things. I'm tired of obese people getting away with acting like it's a normal thing. I'm sick of them not giving a ****, and then acting surprised when people comment on their obesity. I'm tired of them not giving a **** until they get the news they are diabetic or are in need of a bypass operation. I'm tired of all the Homer Simpsons of the world and I'm definitely tired of all the TV programs that portray the average American as some overweight piece of crap with a hot wife.

If people would just culturally accept that obesity shouldn't be tolerated, we wouldn't have the baconator at wendy's, or the supersized portions at all restaurants or the Checkers/Jack-in-the-box giving away calories for $2 a pound.

Nutrition isn't a hard thing to accomplish. Laziness is the core of this problem and it doesn't help the cause when you got the bleeding hearts sticking up for them because they are too lazy to do it themselves.

Pardon me? Perception issues? I think you've got me mixed up with someone else. Before you start attacking my weight, my health, or my eating habits, may I remind you that you've never met me. But for your benefit I will state that I am not obese. I exercise seven days a week, walking or riding my bike for an hour every day the sun shines and strength training every day. I eat exceptionally well and hate fast food. I think maybe you should re-examine your perception of health and a healthy weight. How dare you accuse me of being fat and lazy because I don't agree with your opinion?

Not everyone's metabolism idles at the same rpm. While your girlfriend may be able to easily maintain a weight of 115 pounds by eating healthy foods and exercising three times a week, it is not so simple for some people. Some people can lose weight very easily, but others can diet and exercise and nothing happens for them. Not everyone who is overweight eats at McDonald's 4 times a day.

My argument isn't that obesity should be encouraged. I never even hinted that I think that way in my previous post. My argument is simply that "obese" is a subjective term and BMI is a subjective system. I would like everyone to be able to live a healthy lifestyle. If I could I would walk or ride my bike to work, but for most people this just isn't possible. I don't advocate people weighing 350, 400, 500 lbs because they don't ever go outside. I don't advocate people eating fast food at every meal because they're too lazy to cook. I think that's disgusting and pathetic. But not every person who is "obese" or overweight leads a lifestyle like this.

My question is, why is an unhealthy lifestyle only bad when a fat person lives that way? No one is telling skinny kids to get off the computer and go play baseball. Skinny people are just assumed to be healthy, while that's not the case at all. Thin people can eat just as badly and be just as lazy as any fat person. The cause people are so upset about should be HEALTH, not FAT.

p.s. Learn some etiquette. This isn't your table in the high school cafeteria.

[edit on 17-5-2008 by sc2099]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
reply to post by Extralien

Discriminatory?

Being from Singapore and having traveled through much of E. & S.E. Asia I can tell you that the overwhelming vast majority of obese people one sees are tourists from N. America and to a lesser extent, Europe. Why is that? It is because those cultures have a problem. One obese person eats enough food to feed anywhere from 3 to 10 normal people, perhaps more. That is so wrong! Any obese person reading this should ask themselves how many starving people must die because they insist upon stuffing their fat over-bloated monstrously grotesque bodies with more food than they need to survive.

Back to discrimination. There is enough food in this world to feed everyone. What is it about this culture's obese human oddities that makes them more deserving of other peoples food? How do they decide "I should eat this and not them. Let the staving masses eat dung."? Is that not discriminatory? Is it not immoral?

To be fair, it is not just the obese. A lot of food gets thrown away or fed to house pets. Sorry but a starving human has more value than your stinking dog. And no, I am not suggesting we should feed the starving with dog food. The money spent to feed useless animals would be better spent feeding useful human beings. The tons of food which is thrown out ultimately feeds stray/wild animals, insects and bacteria so take smaller portions and learn to eat only what you need to be healthy. Buy less and eat it quickly. There will be less to throw out because it went bad.

People everywhere, not just in the 3rd world whose cause you say you're upholding, starve because they don't have enough money, not because there's not enough food. There is enough food in the world to feed everyone. But not everyone can afford to eat.

Where is your rant against triathletes, marathon runners, and professional athletes? By your logic they should all stop whatever activities force them to eat more calories than YOU consider normal and just eat enough to keep them barely alive. People eating more calories than the bare minimum their body needs to keep living is not taking food out of the mouths of others.

And neither is feeding pets. There's enough land in the world to feed all the people and animals many times over. LOL, I'm sorry, did you really just blame bacteria for eating food that could have fed your starving compatriots? I have news for you, the bacteria get it anyway after people have already eaten it!

What would really be immoral is to forcibly take food from some and give to others. No food should be forcibly taken from anywhere to give to someone else just because they're alive. No one is more worthy than anyone else. Gee, that is a double edged sword, isn't it?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It is common sense that obese people consume more than average. It is a wasteful lifestyle. They also consume more in medical care and other services.

However, you can't blame this one segment of the population for all of the problems in the world. In the first world (as opposed to third world) we ALL consume huge amounts of goods to support our affluent lifestyles.

Maybe the answer is to liposuction their fat and make soap like in Fight Club

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

I wasn't referring to you as being someone who is obese, but it was rather aimed at those people who you are seemingly defending for some reason. Metabolism increases as you get healthier, allowing you to keep the weight off that you lose if you stick with it. It is a pretty bad excuse to use that people have low metabolisms because it is directly related to exercise and diet.
I don't buy any excuses anymore when it comes to obesity. Not a damn one.

Obesity is not a subjective term. There is definitely a line. You don't even have to use a BMI unless you're truly in denial. Look in the mirror, and you can see how overweight you are.

I work out at home 5 days a week with no weights and no exercise equipment and I've lost 15 pounds over the last 2 months. There is No damn excuse for not exercising except for LAZINESS.

People who are skinny who have unhealthy diets and do not exercise will eventually reap what they sow. They will slow down their metabolism to the point where it will be very hard to get rid of the weight they gain.

I have also never met a fat person who was healthy. Some thin people may stay thin eating unhealthy, but I can guarantee you that it won't last for long.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Probably 300 pound experts who have nothing better to do then to find excuses for being over weight.

Believe me, I'm not skinny or hugh but I know my lack of exercise and eating to much at night did this to me.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
Not everyone's metabolism idles at the same rpm. While your girlfriend may be able to easily maintain a weight of 115 pounds by eating healthy foods and exercising three times a week, it is not so simple for some people. Some people can lose weight very easily, but others can diet and exercise and nothing happens for them. Not everyone who is overweight eats at McDonald's 4 times a day.

You mean not everyone in the West has the same metabolism? Go to the affluent areas of Asia. With the exception of boat-loads of porky's touring from the West you'll see very few overweight Asians. What few you do see have the metabolic problems you speak of or some other disorder but even then they are only slightly overweight, not monsterously so. Your eating habits and the culture which supports it is the problem. Yours is a broken sick culture.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You mean not everyone in the West has the same metabolism? Go to the affluent areas of Asia. With the exception of boat-loads of porky's touring from the West you'll see very few overweight Asians. What few you do see have the metabolic problems you speak of or some other disorder but even then they are only slightly overweight, not monsterously so. Your eating habits and the culture which supports it is the problem. Yours is a broken sick culture.

Not everyone in the WORLD has the same metabolism. Arctic dwelling indigenous peoples have virtually NO metabolism from thousands of years of having to store every single calorie to survive and their bodies not knowing when the next meal would arrive on the ice. Today since they don't eat seals every few weeks and live in sub zero temperatures people with that particular ethnicity are very prone to weight problems.

Your opinion of western culture notwithstanding, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. First you tried to blame wild animals and bacteria for eating up all the food that could be fed to poor people. Then you didn't even try to rebut my assertion that western eating habits don't actually starve the people in the third world. You can think whatever you want about western health, but don't blame us that we don't live on a subsistence diet of rice and whatever else we can scrounge up.

You've derailed a thread on obesity and changed it into an "I hate the west, those wasteful bastards" rant. Let's get back to the topic at hand, shall we?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

OK, Ususlly I won't comment on anything of a discrimitive nature & many would say that blaming Fat ppl for the worlds trouble is just that.

However, I feel that Obesety is something that ppl do to themselves & thus negates any form of discrimination (not unlike smokers).

Yes I believe that the obese are a huge burdon on the world & they should be "Forced", to Diet. Obese ppl are the way they are because they want to be... simple as that!!

There are no real medical reasons for someone to be fat, other that pure glutony. Sure some ppl are more sensitive to certain intakes than others & metabolize differently, but if they had any self respect, they would keep themselves healthy.

I have no sympathy what so ever for Fat people, because they do it to themselves!! And when the fat boy calls foul cause ppl make fun of him, he has only himself to blame.

People should eat right, exersise right & live right, no two ways about it. And if all the obese ppl out there got off their fat butts & did the right thing, this world would be a lot less troubled.

Mabe with all the economy troubles the world is having right now, all the obese ppl will be forced into becoming thin. Either that or they will get reeeeal hungry & start eating the rest of us instead....lolol

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
that's right and us fat people will rule the world and eat the skinny ones.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
One question:

Do you disagree with this statement:
"I have the right to be unhealthy."

If yes or no, please give your reasoning.
My answer is yes, because after weighing all good intentions and practical excuses I still feel that individual liberty is still more precious than good health.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Was kinda with you till you went there. Sock broken culture really? All of us are fat? Let me tell you know that the asians are gaining more success in the world and more money give it time. I give it 20 years and the successful aisian nations will be fat too. When you work hard some that is how some people like to spend their money. Not all in fact if we were all fat would we be whooping all the countries in the Olympics? Would our fat athletes? Obesity is not just in our sick western culture...here if you dont believe me..

[edit on 17-5-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I thought I would mention that one of the side effects of chronic fluorine ingestion is obesity.

So, what they say may be true, but not all obese people are obese simply because they eat too much. They may be obese because the function of their body is impaired so badly by chronic fluorine exposure.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by metro

I have also never met a fat person who was healthy. Some thin people may stay thin eating unhealthy, but I can guarantee you that it won't last for long.

Can I get some more info on that guarantee? Is it money-back, satisfaction, or what? I might want to file a claim with you.

I'm well into my 40s, and have been slim or skinny all my life. That despite the fact I consider grease to be one of the major food groups, and look at cholesterol as a good thing (last check, mine was 361; I'm working to get it up). I have had high blood pressure my entire life, and I work driving a truck, which means long hours sitting motionless behind that wheel and eating things that were never really intended for human consumption. I dearly love my Baconators, and have ate 8 Big Macs at a single sitting.

Now, what were the terms of that guarantee?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

WOW!
TheRedNeck! You are blessed.

If I did that I'd suspect that I'd be very big right now, but I don't so I'll never know. By the way, thank you for being part of the backbone to our country and spending those long hours on the roads for us.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
Nobody has got a gun to half the American population's head telling them to scarf down 4000g of fat per day as I said before.
It's THEIR CHOICE, thus who else is to blame?

Yes, it's their choice...But that doesn't make it right for anyone else (especially the government) to proverbially or literally "put a gun to their heads" in order to make them loose the weight.
The Government does not have the authority to sanction overweight people & not even a vast majority of the voting public can "vote away" anybody's Rights to "Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness."

No we shouldn't tax obese people. But we sure as hell should put the pressure on them to do something about their condition instead of pressuring society to change to suit their unhealthy lifestyles.

While I agree that society shouldn't change for the obese (wider doorways & such as you've mentioned), they shouldn't even have to suffer social sanctions either, such as the teasing or anger-filled insults.

IMO, if someone is so obese that he/she can't fit through a standard-sized door, then they'll have some more motivation to lose the weight. Besides, if someone wants to be fat, nothing outside of himself will change his mind...Additional social or official pressures probably won't change the minds of the really stubborn anyway. The main point is that, while it may not be right for people to choose obesity, there's also nothing right about enforcing such additional pressures in the first place.

No instead of pressuring the obese to do something about their problem, the media makes them think their okay, their normal and there's nothing wrong with being physically unhealthy.

That's the media's fault...After all, what else do all of these corporations aim for anyway, except to turn everybody into fat, happy consumers that'll keep buying more of their stuff? Why do you think that food processing companies keep adding all of that fat into their foods in the first place?

God's sake people, stop trying to excuse this like it can't be stopped, I have a perfectly simple solution for it: A GYM.

I'm not trying to excuse it...But neither would I excuse anyone for trying to enforce their own personal opinions onto others. Your solutions begin with suggesting a gym but when pushed too far, "suggested solutions" usually end up with a bullet.

Originally posted by LostNemesis
I personally, do not see the connection to my dog eating well, and the starving third-world.
That said, I doubt starving a member of my family would feed anyone in the third world.

That is SICK. Why don't these people in starving countries rise up against their government and demand rights, instead of guilt tripping those who have loving "house pets".

Yep...As stated earlier in this thread, the world-wide starvation problem is 99% political.

LOL, I'm sorry, did you really just blame bacteria for eating food that could have fed your starving compatriots? I have news for you, the bacteria get it anyway after people have already eaten it!

Heh! That's very true...Every human being has symbiote bacteria living within our bodies. We cannot survive without them. For instance, the bacteria in our intestines is responsible for breaking down the food & we'd all die of malnutrition without that bacteria. As a matter of fact, yogurt is a good food for people who've recently suffered from diarrhea: The "active cultures" in the yogurt replaces the digestive bacteria that's...um, expelled
...due to the diarrhea.

Originally posted by spaznational
Maybe the answer is to liposuction their fat and make soap like in Fight Club

All at taxpayer expense, of course...

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
One question:

Do you disagree with this statement:
"I have the right to be unhealthy."

If yes or no, please give your reasoning.
My answer is yes, because after weighing all good intentions and practical excuses I still feel that individual liberty is still more precious than good health.

Well put, Ghost!
After all, this is what the intent of this whole thread is about...Those who derail the topic aren't doing anything to add any real content to the thread.

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I've been that way since I was a kid though and I would refuse to eat vegetables and kept saying they hurt my stomach and was called a liar all the time.

(Bold emphasis added)
Ah, now there's the key to the vast majority of the "anti-fat" attitude! This is exactly the type of attitude that "motivates" some people into enforcing unethical social and/or government sanctions against other people! It's precisely this kind of attitude that should be banned from society because it's this attitude that gradually & inevitably turns a free nation into tyranny!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join