It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese blamed for the world's ills

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984
Proof:

Wikipedia's page on hydrogenation
Wikipedia's page on Polymerization

In essence, with as many big words removed as possible, hydrogenation (as in 'partially-hydrogenated soybean oil) means that hydrogen is added to the hydrocarbons present in soybean oil. this extra hydrogen bonds to the oil molecules, changing their characteristics and allowing them to form longer chains of more complex molecules. The process is similar to polymerization, which is the process used to make complex polymers from crude oil, known to the general public as plastic.

Partially-hydrogenated soybean oil is the principle ingredient in margarine, which has taken over the role of butter in Western society. It is also used in several other 'foods'. In its natural state, it is a dull brownish-grey, tasteless, and slimy like mucus. To turn it into margarine, the food companies add coloring (in the form of raw chemicals, similar to coloring paint except there has to be some sort of limit on initial toxicity), and flavoring in the form of concentrated chemicals that stimulate tastebuds in a way similar to butter (similar to making perfume, with the same restriction as before). Finally, it is blended and mixed with solvents in order to get the desired consistency.

It does work; your body can't completely break down the plastic like it can break down butter. So the stuff just slides along your insides until it gets to the other end, with a small bit of absorption happening when a few of those paints/perfumes manage to break loose. But don't worry, they won't hurt you, as long as you listen to the doctors and government agencies.

Next time you pick up some margarine spread, look on the box and substitute the words 'painted, perfumed, blended plastic' for the words 'partially-hydrogenated soybean oil'. Mmmm, tasty!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

because Redneck is eating all of the food

Actually, I was eating all the food... now my son eats it all.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

I agree that Louisiana does have a very high obesity rate, but I still wonder if it is from "southern" cooking, or cheap modified foods. If you're deep frying your chicken in hydrogenated trans-fat oil, you're really missing the point of some good ol' down home southern fried chicken.

I have some friends in the Carolinas who eat this stuff al the time, and none of them are fat. In fact, I didn't see any fat people in any of the small towns around there. I think it's because they are getting their stuff fresh from local farmers, and using all natural methods. They're not buying gallons of hydrogenated oil at the supermarket to do their frying.

The last time I visited for three weeks, we went to the supermarket exactly once. We also ate at a Hardee's fast food joint exactly once. And even that was because I had never eaten at a Hardee's before. Imagine my surprise to find a town with only one fast food place and NO McDonald's anwhere in the county. In fact, not even in the tri-county area that I know of.

[edit on 5/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Actually even if you don't have access to a yard you may still be able to grow a small amount of produce. If you have a porch or balcony you can grow many things in a container, tomatoes, peppers, brocolli, strawberries, herbs, etc. Nothing tastes better than a home grown tomatoe, store bought can't begin to compare.

It's still early enough to start a small garden, although you may want to buy already established plants being that we're going into june. If you perfer starting from seeds just make sure that you buy only hierloom seeds and get yourself a good books that tells you how to harvest and process your own seeds as soon we won't have any good seed left at all.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Thank you for that, Chise.

I have actually been suggesting for a while, for people wanting to get seeds that have NOT been tampered with, like very possible store-bought ones... To get their heirloom seeds on Ebay.

The awesome things about this, is you are supporting someone's hard work. And at the same time, getting seeds from a family garden that has been established for many years. Not to MENTION, people are selling some very exotic and many, many choices of all different kids of tomatoes, and everything else.

I am very impressed to see what people are offering, when it comes to seeds from their own gardens.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Wikipedia's page on hydrogenation
Wikipedia's page on Polymerization

In essence, with as many big words removed as possible, hydrogenation (as in 'partially-hydrogenated soybean oil) means that hydrogen is added to the hydrocarbons present in soybean oil. this extra hydrogen bonds to the oil molecules, changing their characteristics and allowing them to form longer chains of more complex molecules. The process is similar to polymerization, which is the process used to make complex polymers from crude oil, known to the general public as plastic.

Similar but far from being the same, however i admit i avoid all hydrogenated ingredients simply becuase it's been shown they're not exactly good for you. Whilst i understand the government allows some acceptable risks in food ingredients, i wonder how long it wil be before the campaigners suceed and get all this stuff banned?

Partially-hydrogenated soybean oil is the principle ingredient in margarine, which has taken over the role of butter in Western society.

Yes i avoid margarine as well although i never had a good reason before. The food just always tasted bad to me, real unsalted butter is a lot better.

It does work; your body can't completely break down the plastic like it can break down butter. So the stuff just slides along your insides until it gets to the other end, with a small bit of absorption happening when a few of those paints/perfumes manage to break loose. But don't worry, they won't hurt you, as long as you listen to the doctors and government agencies.

Well i will listen to the doctors because lots of them don't recommend this food and don't eat it themselves. Only doctors and scientists given money by corporations and governments to study this ever agree it's safe. Interesting that.

Next time you pick up some margarine spread, look on the box and substitute the words 'painted, perfumed, blended plastic' for the words 'partially-hydrogenated soybean oil'. Mmmm, tasty!

TheRedneck

Well i wouldn't even pick up margirine but i check most things for this ingredient. It's why i dont' eat crisps, most chocolate bars, store made flapjacks etc etc.

Originally possted by jackinthebox
Did you know that aside from the intensive farming methods, the nutrition in fresh produce is further reduced by being irradiated before they hit supermarket shelves? Sneak into the back room at your local supermarket, you may find boxes with the radiation sign printed on them. This is why.

I must admit i've worked as a shelf stacker in my time and i've never sen what you are on about. the only machine with the radiation symbol i saw on was a scanner, the dosage from that is not even enough to go through paper. The radiation symbol often invokes utter terror in everyone and yet radiation can be perfectly safe. For example anyone with tritium inserts in their watch has a radioactive product on them but the radiation is so small it won't even get through the watch casing.

If you havea fire alarm then the chances are it uses a radioactive source, some don't and some do.

Originally possted by jackinthebox
Besides, if our bodies could assimilate the necessary nutrients in pill form, we wouldn't have to eat at all anymore. Vitamin supplements are really just another scam in the "health food" industry.

Well my brother when younger had some absorption issues and was given liquid vitamin supplements by a doctor. His blood levels of all vitamins and minerals rose after using the supplement so obviously they must work slightly. We have to eat because we can't put protein, fat and carbohydrates effecively in pill forms. Vitamins are better absorbed by actually eating them an people generally enjoy eating as well

Some pills are a scam, most are in fact a scam, but basic multi vitamins and minerals i think are a safe bet if you don't have a decent diet.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The radiation symbol often invokes utter terror in everyone and yet radiation can be perfectly safe.

That's not really the point I was making. I'm sure that long term ingestion of even minimal amounts of radiation is harmful, but I am most concerned about the more immediate concern. That being the irradiation of foods wipes out the nutritional value. Same goes for microwaving your food. Please tell me you don't put those nice garden veggis in a microwave.

Some pills are a scam, most are in fact a scam, but basic multi vitamins and minerals i think are a safe bet if you don't have a decent diet.

The ones that are a "safe bet" or have any usefulness are about to be made illegal under international law through compliance with Codex Alimentarius.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
That's not really the point I was making. I'm sure that long term ingestion of even minimal amounts of radiation is harmful, but I am most concerned about the more immediate concern. That being the irradiation of foods wipes out the nutritional value. Same goes for microwaving your food. Please tell me you don't put those nice garden veggis in a microwave.

God no, i do own a microwave but i never use the microwave feature, i use the oven feature (which doesn't involve microwaves onlya heating element). It heats up faster than my large oven and so saves enery and therefore money. I don't use a microwave for anything.

Originally posted by jackinthebox
The ones that are a "safe bet" or have any usefulness are about to be made illegal under international law through compliance with Codex Alimentarius.

Yes i read your thread a while back and i find it most worrying, the health food stores are no doubt lobbying governments over this one, i would seriously dislike it if they banned all sorts of supplements. Whislt i have long wanted there to be regulation (to control quality) an out right ban is quite wrong.

It does seem as if the nutrition has been pureposly remove from a great deal of food, take a look at "microwave dinners" for example. When they arrive at the supermarket they are already lacking most of their nutrition, and then you nuke them in the microwave and it destroys the rest.

I should say that minerals aren't really effected by microwave heating, you still get the majority of those, but vitamins are destroyed by microwave heating.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I have to admit. With my little one starting to eat food, I am trying to transition my household... From frozen burritos, Hot Pockets, Pizza Rolls, and many BAD, BAD things.. The typical poor American convenience diet.

I found that cherries are $5.99/lb.
Apples are almost $2/lb.
Grapes are $3.49/lb

And this is depressing.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Yes it is very depressing, especially for those of us that have a limited amount of money. Get em on good foods as early as possible though teaches good eating habits at an early age, Try to grow whatever you can, has more nutrition & tastes better. Believe me if you've never had home grown you don't know what you're missing. Also try to buy what's in season, it's usually cheaper and locally grown making it's fresher and more nutritious. If you don't start children out at an early age with tons of sugar and processed foods they won't aquire a taste for it.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Thanks for all the advice! Seems to get the little one on the right track, all of us should really be changing how things are done.

Everyday is a learning experience.

Nothing funnier than a little one who looks like they were force-fed poopie, after a good meal of 'garden vegetable'

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Hope it's not too presumptious of me but i read this thread,

www.abovetopsecret.com... e=1#pid4387720

and thought it may be something you may be interested in. Just in case you haven't already seen it.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Well, I dunno about saving the Earth, but I have enjoyed mushrooms on everything from pizza to spiritual journeys.

Thanks for the link.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Similar but far from being the same, however i admit i avoid all hydrogenated ingredients simply becuase it's been shown they're not exactly good for you. Whilst i understand the government allows some acceptable risks in food ingredients, i wonder how long it wil be before the campaigners suceed and get all this stuff banned?

True, it is not exactly the same process, mainly due to the fact that differing chemicals are combined, but the end result in both cases is that separate molecules are combined into long polymer chains.

And the government is far from trying to remove the 'offending' products. The FDA, as it turns out, does not run tests on new drugs; they accept the tests run by the producers of the drugs. Now realizing that this is the same agency that verifies the food we eat, what makes anyone think they act any differently in this area?

What bothers me is that there is at least as much evidence to condemn partially-hydrogenated oils as there is to condemn cigarettes. Unlike cigarettes, which have never been touted openly as healthy, the margarines are supposedly better for you than butter. I'm waiting patiently for the flood of lawsuits against the food producers like there are against cigarette manufacturers. I will probably have a heart attack if one should ever actually materialize though.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I found that cherries are $5.99/lb.
Apples are almost $2/lb.
Grapes are $3.49/lb

Cherries - ~$25 per lifetime supply
Apples - ~$30 per lifetime supply
Grapes - ~$8 per lifetime supply

Prices based on a quick glance at gurneys.com...

I can also heartily recommend Parks Seed. I found some sweet corn in their heirloom selection that can be regrown from seed, something I was having a very hard time finding. They have a horticulturalist on staff, and all of them I have talked to have been more than helpful. The only reason I referenced Gurneys (who I also have had good luck with) is that Parks didn't seem to have any fruit on their site with a quick glance. If it's there (which it may be), it wasn't readily apparent.

TheRedneck

[edit on 26-5-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Cherries have always been the big expensive crop. They're easy enough to grow but harvesting is a pain and they tend to get eaten by birds and damaged by insects. What really raises the price is that farmers have to throw out any cherries that show even slight damage, they often sell them to companies making fruit juices. This however means your raw cherry is very expensive. I used to buy damaged ones from the local farm at abotu 1/8th the supermarket price (by damage i mean a catapillar had crept across them and left a brown trail).

Last year on our allotment nearly all the cherries from the trees were stolen (along with other fruits). It's a sad fact but i'm expecting even more thefts this year with the increasing food prices. That's why we've planted a seperate tree in our own garden, it's been in for two years but it'll still take another 3 years maybe to get a decent crop from it.

True, it is not exactly the same process, mainly due to the fact that differing chemicals are combined, but the end result in both cases is that separate molecules are combined into long polymer chains.

Well in all fairness nature itself has plenty of natural long polymer chained chemicals. However i agree completely that these man made ones we consume are far from being healthy.

And the government is far from trying to remove the 'offending' products. The FDA, as it turns out, does not run tests on new drugs; they accept the tests run by the producers of the drugs. Now realizing that this is the same agency that verifies the food we eat, what makes anyone think they act any differently in this area?

Well i was saying i hope the lobbyists suceed, government tend to give in in the end. However with this one we'll be facing a very long battle.

What bothers me is that there is at least as much evidence to condemn partially-hydrogenated oils as there is to condemn cigarettes. Unlike cigarettes, which have never been touted openly as healthy, the margarines are supposedly better for you than butter. I'm waiting patiently for the flood of lawsuits against the food producers like there are against cigarette manufacturers. I will probably have a heart attack if one should ever actually materialize though.

Yes there is literally tons of peer reviewed research supporting the fact that these oils and fats are far more detrimental to our health then standard butter. In fact standard butter isn't that bad for you at all if you use it sparingly, it even has vitamins and minerals in it unlike these margerines and easy spreadable "butters". I also await the long list of lawsuits but i think we'll be waiting along the lines of 40 years for those, when the rate of heart attacks suddenly take a giant leap. However none of them will win, it'll be like the McDonalds lawsuit, the judge will simply state that it's the individuals choice what to put in their mouths.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join