It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.A.S.A Announcement cover-up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Call me stupid or something,but when N.A.S.A announced its results of corroborating evidence between its Xray telescope and its optical telescope,something just seemed odd.

It's 140yr old supernova somehow managed to break the laws of physics and enabled us to see it even though it's 25,000 light years away??

What's the deal here?
X-rays are just another form of light yeah?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Can anyone spell 'DURRRR!!!' ?

G1.9+0.3 lies 25,000 light years away from Earth, in the Sagittarius constellation, meaning it is only 1,000 light years away from the galactic nuclei. This also means that the supernova explosions that occurred 140 years ago, in reality took place 25,140 years ago. It is a Type Ia supernova, thus its progenitor is a white dwarf, with an estimated mass of about 1.4 times that of the Sun.

news.softpedia.com...

Always good to question things you don't understand though..

-------

Next question.. Why so excited for something 25,000 yrs old?..
It certainly wasn't urgent enough to make us wait for a press conference.

Going by the speed of light they could find another next year that's only 51 light years away..Now THAT would be better.

I still think it's a cover for something more interesting.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
At 51 light years away from what? Earth? You're still in the solar system (poor 9th grade science), I think we'd be in deep doodoo if a supernova blatted close to us like that or at least, we'd see some planets disappearing.

[edit on 16.5.2008 by Shugo]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

Nawwwww.. Alpha centauri is 4.3 light yrs away ..40 million.million km

That would make a cool fireworks display..

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What? I thought this supernova actually occurred 140 years ago! It didn't?! So what's so great about this news then? Just that it's the most recent supernova ever detected?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GrayFox

You misunderstand the nature of time, sir.

Everything in the universe that exists is existing now - if we were to somehow develop the technology to travel at lightspeed, we would probably be able to view the ending of the supernova.

I believe that's the appropiate way of looking at it, at least.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This may help

cosmic lookback

chandra.harvard.edu...
The time in the past at which the light we now receive from a distant object was emitted is called the look-back time. When astronomers discuss events in distant objects, they take for granted that the actual event occurred earlier because of light travel time. It is similar to finding a series of photographs of a child in a 300 year-old time capsule. We could see how the child was developing 300 years ago, even though he/she would no longer be alive.

( thanks to Badge01 for this one.
)

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
This is from a real popular thread.

AAC

OOOPSS!!..

Sorry dude.. I only searched ' NASA cover up ' to see if there was anything similar...

If any Mods are passing through here,could they do the 'SEE OTHER THREAD' thing..

cheers

new topics

top topics

join