It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda and The Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Propaganda and The Media

www.commondreams.org

Once upon a time, it was widely believed that one of the greatest sins the U.S. government or its temporary political masters could commit was to turn a propaganda machine loose on the American people.

Congress viewed this so seriously that every appropriations bill passed since 1951 has contained language that says no public money “shall be used for publicity or propaganda purposes within the United States” without the lawmakers’ prior approval.

The Bush administration has been caught violating the propaganda ban before, notably in 2005 in the case of radio host Armstrong Williams, who was paid to endorse President Bush’s No Child Left Behind law.

Particularly abhorrent to the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which oversees compliance with the ban, is an agency’s use of “covert propaganda” or “covert attempts to mold opinion through the undisclosed use of third parties.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The Most alarming part about all this is, not only is this program ONGOING (as we can see the polluted MSM networks blowing out Iran propaganda for these liars daily), but even more frightening is that the propaganda appears TO BE WORKING, as evidenced by many peoples recent responses on this very site!!

People ARE STILL falling for these maniacs lies!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE---You're being "Iraq'd" all over again!! See the video in my sig if you have any more doubts!

Unreal!

Van Riper walked out, furious, and requested an investigation. DiRita complained in his e-mail that I was silly to blame Rumsfeld for this and for covering up the investigators’ report. After all, he wrote, Rumsfeld couldn’t be expected to know retired generals several levels below him or to bear responsibility for such matters. His complaint sparked an escalating e-mail war that most reckon DiRita lost. The entire exchange was posted on the Internet and can still be found there.

So much for the Rumsfeld/DiRita outreach to their critics. They were much too busy hand-feeding horse manure to their TV generals, who in turn were feeding the same product to the American public by the cubic yard.

There’s little doubt that this program violated the laws against covert propaganda operations mounted against the American public by their own government. But in this administration, there’s no one left to enforce that law or any of the other laws the Bush operatives have been busy violating.

The real crime is that the scheme worked. The television network bosses swallowed the bait, the hook, the line and the sinker, and they have yet to answer for it.

www.commondreams.org

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
DD,

I have to agree with you. I do watch Keith Olbermann, but I am not naive enough to believe that everything does not show up in the Countdown, so I look everywhere else I can find to get other information. The BBC seems to be better at understanding our own politics. But there are plenty of other sites that offer much more comprehensive news than anything on CNN. It's amazing to me that we would have 24-hour news networks and still get so little information.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by scarlett1125

Yes, the key is understanding that virtually ALL the major MSM outlets are tied to and controlled to corporate interests, the gov and the M.I.C. in some way.

Here's a great little site that explores which major outlets are owned by whom. Looking at it, it's not difficult to see why the media is so corrupt and spews out propaganda and brainwashing non-stop:

www.freepress.net...

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The Most alarming part about all this is, not only is this program ONGOING (as we can see the polluted MSM networks blowing out Iran propaganda for these liars daily), but even more frightening is that the propaganda appears TO BE WORKING, as evidenced by many peoples recent responses on this very site!!

People ARE STILL falling for these maniacs lies!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE---You're being "Iraq'd" all over again!! See the video in my sig if you have any more doubts!

Unreal!

Excellent, excellent post here.

And it's not just the Iran propaganda, but so, so much more I've seen being reflected here, above all places, ATS!

Everything from Muslim prejudice, to campaign smear, for some reason the people who are supposed to be 'rising above', seem to be falling behind with the rest of the masses.

Flagged and starred.

[edit on 5/17/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

100% agree. Even crazier is folks STILL not only clinging onto bi-partisan "differences" (when they no longer exist) but actually INSULTING one another based on what they STILL "think" are differences!

All anyone has to do is look back when the democratic party was voted in as the majority---What happened? What changed? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

THEY ARE ALL ONE BIG GIANT PARTY serving the highly vested interests of themselves and their Corporate / M.I.C. / Private Bankers masters.

And yet folks are still wallering around in the mud arguing "party semantics" and nibbling on the fouled up scraps these elitists toss to them.

That is precisely what they want...Their Brainwashing mouthpiece (The MSM) has done it's job masterfully yet again.

Get ready for another 4 years of same old, same old.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yep, you are absolutely right about that.

The parties have changed so much, yet people are STILL staying true to them.

It doesn't really make any sense to me, but IMO, I think this 2 party BS will be ending soon enough, as the parties are changing and people are becoming more educated and wanting more choices than just the same ol'.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I see exactly what you mean here...people are really starting to see Iran as the next big threat, the next Osama Bin Laden, etc...

They keep telling these lies over and over again...and eventually people will begin to believe them.

When the next 9-11 happens (and it will - but we won't know when), Iran will be labeled as the big bad guy to go after next. This will take some time, though - but the financial elite have nothing BUT time. They'll be patient, and everything will HIT when we least expect it.

They'll engrave these ideas until we eat and sleep on them.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Propaganda and The Media

www.commondreams.org

Once upon a time, it was widely believed that one of the greatest sins the U.S. government or its temporary political masters could commit was to turn a propaganda machine loose on the American people.

Congress viewed this so seriously that every appropriations bill passed since 1951 has contained language that says no public money “shall be used for publicity or propaganda purposes within the United States” without the lawmakers’ prior approval.

The Bush administration has been caught violating the propaganda ban before, notably in 2005 in the case of radio host Armstrong Williams, who was paid to endorse President Bush’s No Child Left Behind law.

Particularly abhorrent to the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which oversees compliance with the ban, is an agency’s use of “covert propaganda” or “covert attempts to mold opinion through the undisclosed use of third parties.”

DD, great post. You will notice however there, that it does say "...without the lawmakers prior approval" in that there are certain circumstances where they will approve it. Not only that, but what about the "Black Budgets" and the Slush Funds that they have at their disposal from the sales of military arms, weapons, and machinery to overseas militaries, like for instance Israel?

Nothing within Government surprises Me anymore. On top of this there's also them outsourcing the propaganda like the military through Blackwater. The movie/media industry has long been the willing dupes/collusion/conspirers of the Government in that if something is pointed out or some monetary funding is approved will gladly lap it up and do the destruction without the thought of the free-will of mankind.

Kind of like the ole Wag the Dog syndrome of if a Congressman or President is under extreme scrutiny you can park an elephant under his butt and the media wouldn't acknowledge it.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

new topics

top topics

join