It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange call.......from Oklahoma.....number was disconnected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Not sure if this fits in this area or not, but I got a call today on my cell phone. I was on the office phone so I did not answer and did not recognize the number. No message was left. When I called the number back a recorded voice said the number was no longer in service or disconnected. It was about 5 minutes after I received the call that I attempted to call it back.

Has anyone had this happen before? Had a call from a number that is not in service? Kinda strange I thought.....never has happened to me before.

The number was a 918 area code from Oklahoma. I do not know anyone in that state, nor do I have any business partners there, so I have no idea why anyone in Oklahoma would be calling me.

Any one had this happen or hear of it happening? Oh...I am in Georgia, so not even close.

Also....just looked up the number on google and it came up with a guys name in Lenapah, OK....never heard of him either.

[edit on 5/16/08 by Vasa Croe]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Probably some kind of telemarketing company. It could also be a call from a Sat phone maybe? kind of strange that the number was disconnected though. I have had a similar experience but when I called back it said that the number was unavailable from my coverage area.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I know this may seem a little out of the blue, but how long did you wait until you could call them back?

I have a few theories, but they more or less hinge on that time delay.

Any further information would be helpful.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It was 5 minutes or less from the time the call came in to the time I dialed the number.

Is it ok to post the number here.....it is disconnected anyways so there should not be any harm in it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Well that more or less sinks my theory of some little kid doing serial pranking and getting disconnected because he was found out.

5 minutes is too short a time for that.

Otherwise, hell - it might even have been your company looking for a reason to fire a few people.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I keep getting calls at my house from 514-555-5555

I still don't know who/what it is, but I am assuming it's a telemarketer.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by theknuckler

Here's some info for you-
800notes.com...
Looks like some scammers.

@Vasa Croe & anyone interested - it's very easy to "spoof" a caller ID. There are services out there that let you call someone and have whatever number you choose show up on their caller ID. And here's the scarier thing:

If you have voicemail that lets you listen to your messages without inputting a passcode when you're retrieving the messages from the phone tied to the mailbox, anyone calling in to the voicemail can spoof your number and retrieve your messages. Land line or cell.

Passcodes are a very good idea.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Sometimes the phone line has an issue. Did you just call back once?

Furthermore, anything with a 555 exchange is a movie/TV number. I assume that was a joke?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Furthermore, anything with a 555 exchange is a movie/TV number. I assume that was a joke?

That's not entirely true. Although TV & movie numbers generally use 555 as a prefix, there are valid 555 numbers out there - 555-1212 for directory info, for example.

Here's a document, if you want to download it. Boring stuff, tho.

www.atis.org/INC/docs/finaldocs/555-NXX-Assignment-Guidelines-Final-Document-05-13-05.doc

[edit on 5/16/2008 by yeahright]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by theknuckler
I keep getting calls at my house from 514-555-5555

I still don't know who/what it is, but I am assuming it's a telemarketer.

514 aera code is always located on the island of Montréal
From what I could find on google, it's telemarketer/identity thief.
We've got a lot of them around here...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I stand corrected! You are right.

top topics

join