It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Aristide Out; U.S. Marines In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Elected President Jean Bertrand-Aristide officially resigned today. The United States helped Aristide safely leave the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince, but it was unclear where he was headed. Haiti's Supreme Court Chief Justice Boniface Alexandre was named as the nation's president in a transitional government. President Bush ordered the Marines to the country as part of a multinational interim force. A small contingent of Canadian troops is already in the city, as is a 50-member Marine anti-terrorist security team which have been in Port-au-Prince for several days helping secure the U.S. embassy. The initial forces are expected to secure key facilities to allow for the arrival of an international peacekeeping force.

ap.tbo.com...
"This is the beginning of a new chapter in the country's history," Bush said on the South Lawn of the White House. "I would urge the people of Haiti to reject violence to give this break from the past a chance to work. The United States is prepared to help."

[Edited on 2-29-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Good News.

I hope at least now Haiti will get a good gov't and a better leader that will actually lead them out of poverty.

Have the rebels agreed to a ceasefire yet?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The rebel opposition has stated that they only had a problem with Aristide being in office. Now that he is gone, they will put down their weapons. They say they will welcome the Marines and the multinational forces.

Now that this done, the first thing the USA needs to do is release all funds that we have withheld from Haiti, so that they may use it to become a stronger and better nation.

[Edited on 2-29-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
But, what is to stop the rebels from taking up arms again?

I agree with all those funds U.S. is withhelding (500 million), Haiti is literally starving.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
you can never be sure in a situation like this, however the rebels did accomplish their mission, so they should be satisfied. I would suggest you read some other articles if you would like more perpective on the situation.

ap.tbo.com...
"Philippe, the rebel leader, told The Associated Press his forces would head for the capital but would not engage in any further fighting. "The time is not for fighting anymore," Philippe said in an interview with CNN.
He also said rebels wanted to take part in any negotiations about Haiti's future, but had already accepted Alexandre as president. "We just hope no country will accept Aristide, so they will send him back to be judged. He did bad things," Philippe, a former police chief, said at a rebel headquarters in the key northern port town of Cap-Haitien. He told CNN his men would be in the capital by Sunday night or Monday morning. Another rebel commander, Winter Etienne, said the fighters - a motley group also led by a former army death squad commander and a former pro-Aristide street gang chief - would disarm once a new government is installed. As he spoke, rebels rode through Cap-Haitien in trucks, waving at hundreds of people who danced and sang in the streets in celebration.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks I just read it.

It says in the article that this was the second time he had to exile the country and he was restored to power by the U.S.

Hope there isn't a third time.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
But, what is to stop the rebels from taking up arms again?

Nothing, this is what our country was built on, thats why we have the right to bear arms (for now). The general was asked too day if he wanted the positinon in office. "No I am here for the people." When the people see that the goverment is wrong, The people are to get rid of him. This is far from the first time he has done it.

top topics

join