It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC Dateline and UFO's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I hope more people will send them some of the sightings and close encounters they have had. One problem I have, is they haven't said much about this. If they were really taken this subject seriously wouldn't they give it more publicity? I only happened on this by chance.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well i'm in the UK so hopefully this will be able to view online, i have a sinking feeling though like so many others here. I think what we'll be shown will be the poor quality or completely debunked videos and photos. They'll take a look, show how they were faked, laugh at them and give the general feeling that all UFO evidence is explainable and anyone to believe it is gullible and/or wears a tin foil hat.

We'll see, i still hope they'l give something objective and not pull out the obvious hoaxed stuff. No doubt they won't mention the good witnesses, the police officers, the doctors, the air traffic controller, the army personnel. No i doubt many of these people will be referenced.

Again though i live in hope and if they give it a good going over i'll have respect for them.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by uv777bk

I just hope this isn't an opportunity for the public to get trashed by the skeptics.

Well it's dateline NBC but I agree. I've seen national geographic specials on UFO's like "Is it real?" in which the witnesses and supposed abductees are made out to be mentally ill because the conclusion of the show. On that show you had all these scientists giving their opinions and alot of really horrible UFO videos which are some of the crappiest I've ever seen. The reason I hate shows like this is that the UFO phenomenon is way too complex to talk about in a half hour let alone 1 hour. So everyone who watches the show is like "those crazies and their UFO videos".

The national geographic shows about UFO's are basically biased and non-objective and focus on some of the most ridiculous evidence when there is much more amazing evidence out there. Then people watching the show are convinced that UFO's are not real because of this. Hopefully it is a decent show, not one sided, and not there to make these people look like headcases.

-ChriS

[edit on 17-5-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
As someone who has worked in the press for 30 years I can tell you for sure not to hold your breath waiting for the mainstream press to give the UFO issue a fair shake.

There have been a wee few but even then there's the giggle factor involved or unprovoked antagonism.

For a good look at history you guys might want to find that Mike Wallace interview of Ruppelt from way back in the '50s. That was a better media venue than what we get today.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I could totally see it starting out with Chris Hansen "Hello Grey, pleas take a seat." lol.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The media is completely loaded with UFO sighting reports now and specials...its amazing...we may actually see some form of disclosure...I had read that 2009 was the date that the government wouldn't necessarily come clean about UFO's but wouldn't say they didn't exist or were never seen like they pretty much do now. We'll have to wait and see what happends...Being dateline- I imagine this will be nothing you all don't know already- for the average person who knows nothing I'm sure it will be enlightening but give no credible information whatsoever...thats excluding the fact that they could try and prove UFO's don't exist...who knows but I'll keep my hopes up.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Photos and videos can be hoaxed, faked or simply misidentification of mundane occurances.

Photos and videos can no longer be used as a concrete evidence as has been shown countless of times here in ATS alone and in a recent thread, it has proven it through and through that doctored photos an videos can be used by certain people to further their own agendas.

Photos and videos are nowadays are as credible as hearsay. Concrete evidence is when one's can drive one's car and see it fly along the highway with Ets waving at you. Concrete evidence is when you have an ET spacecraft parked at one's driveway and you can take a sample of it. Concrete evidence is when you can shake your hands with an ET at your doorstep or a dead one on a gurney.

Photos and videos are mere 2d, flat, ambiguous represention of things that may or may not happen, unexplained phenomena that leads to NOWHERE or explained phenomena being distorted by biased state of mind whose been exposed to too much twilight zone and x-files.

Orcam's razor has been proven time and time and time again as the most plausible route. Extraordinary things require extraordinary evidence, something that photos or videos are unable to offer. Time and time again photos and videos LEAD TO NOWHERE and at bes be explained as "UNEXPLAINED" which again leads to NOWHERE.

If photos and videos are the only things that these so called UFO crackpots has to offer, they might as well go back to imagining Et friends and humming the X-Files thme. "Toodoootoodooodoodooooooo....." Toodootodoododooooo."

[edit on 17-5-2008 by Macrotus]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
My guess is they'll have plenty of spooky music, and every segment lead in will be accompanied by silly old space alien movies blasting humans with ray guns.
Each story will have a "professional skeptic" try to totally debunk and explain it away. In the end the only thing they achieve is instilling fear in the publics mind and saying it's all hearsay and/or explainable.

[edit on 17-5-2008 by un4gvn1]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Im going to go out on a limb here and predict of the videos in thier top ten half will be blatent hoaxs/fakes and other half will be video already debunked here or on other sites.

They will bring in "experts" who will joke and be arrogant and degrade people who think they are real. And pick these already debunked videos apart.

I wouldnt get your hopes up these shows are always dissapointing and just rehash old info.

Saying that i will be waching it and probably get annoyed

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I really appreciate this. Ordinarily I avoid all things TV like the plague, but I will watch. Thanks again and you know they will mock everybody. If they don't... that'd be really encouraging.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
They always make it subjective and make it all sound goofy awww hahaha look at the funny green alien. They put no real investigation into the matter. like millions of people are having the same illusion of grandeur on a mass scale? Yeah ok and lets not forget about tons of cattle mutilated in the middle of the night.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Past evidence from these types of shows presented by a MSM outlet will result in sensationalistic reporting with plenty of debunking and ridiculing. I hold out no hope whatsoever that this broadcast will in any way be revealing or enlightining.

It's all about ratings.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I hope it is not Chris Hansen pretending to be a female alien in a chat room inviting male aliens to come visit him at a house in Asbury NJ. I hate it when he does that.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnobody

Trust.....how ya doin? I haven't 'read' you lately and I miss the bavarian creams.

Rush

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
We hear over and over about how disclosure will cause panic and fear. But even as skeptical as msm can be, it has also, IMO, prepared society for the fact the this may very well be real. And on that level society as a whole has been more accepting of this. Sure, back in the 40's and 50's disclosure would have probably caused a boatload of panic. I don't think that's the case now.

Disclosure and objectivity together is not always a bad thing. We will not get anywhere near full disclosure in one episode of Dateline or anything else, but keeping the subject out there will continue to prepare society, and replace some of that fear with curiousity and the desire to know the truth.

Rush

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwatcher1
Can't believe there isn't more interest in this... just a bump to give people "heads up"
Thanks for the heads up starwatcher1, I'll record it to watch later, as my wife has no interest in the subject. I would have responded yesterday, but I finally went back to work this past Monday, after having been on layoff since Thanksgiving.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I just think the timing is interesting.

To set up a show I would think it takes time. It seems funny that this is coming on right at the time the Pope says it's okay to believe in Aliens (like we need his permission)

The other night they had a show on "First on the Moon/Untold story" and it showed Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and the object out the window and saying UFO how much more does it take for a person for goodness sake to realize they need to wake up.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Discloser this late in the game would only confirm what good liars the people in charge are. It would also make the public feel as if we have been fooled for the last 60 years. I don't think disclosure would cause panic due to the existence of aliens. It may cause some public unrest and anger, and distrust towards the people who have kept it hidden for so long. My opinion is the only discloser we are going to get is from the type of folks here on ATS. Eventually someone here has to turn some kind of hard evidence.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by starwatcher1

Dare I say it. I'm old enough to remember the 1960 CBS broadcast of a special on Flying Saucers, and it was a lot of denigrating, dismembering, and deception, based largely on government policies and not public curiousity. Major Donald Keyhoe has something very important to say but was cut off "because of time constraints".

Now NBC will be doing something eh? I'll be glued to the set.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Macrotus

Whilst i cannot say i am a true believer in such things i have to ask, what about the photos from the 1920's? These were much harder to fake, what about when video experts say they cannot see how it could have been faked, people from kodak for example, experts in their field.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join