It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mrs. Grinch Lives Upstairs!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I just moved in to a new apartment, its only been a week and Ive already gotten 2 noise complaints from the old lady upstairs. The first time my girlfriend and I were unpacking boxes, It was only around 5:30pm and we were listening to Simon and Garfunkel. It wasn't crazy loud or anything but about 5 minutes later we hear this loud knock on my door, I open the door and I see this older woman in her night robe standing in the staris with this really nasty look on her face, she says.."Could you turn down your music please" It was 5:30 and she looked like she was already dressed to go to bed WTF!! I said that I would turn it down for her, I kinda felt bad and wanted to introduce myself properly but she just stomped up the stairs with this Grich like attitude. I thought to myself what the hell is wrong with this lady? who doesnt like simon and garfunkel at that age, she must of had a bad trip back in the 60's or something jeez. Anyway that was last Sunday now last night I had a friend over and we were fooling around with my electric drum kit around 9:30pm, we were playing for not even half an hour when we heard a knock on the door again. I opened the door and there she was with this annoyed look on her face, she looks at me and says. "This is the second time" (holding up 2 finders and shaking her hand violently) "Theres 6 other people living in this building too you know" In my mind I was like "Ya but your the only old bag that lives here" But being the nice guy that I am I told her I was sorry. Again she stomps up the stairs with this bitchty looking face on. Now Im mad, I want to respect her but how can you respect someone that looks like they hate the world and everyone living on it. Anyone got any tips on what I should do with this old grinch upstairs? Maybe I should play her some real music like Slayer or how bout I set up my Ludwig Maple classic in the living room and play her a litte drum solo sarenade. Jeez lady your living downtown sorrounded by students and musicians and you have to pick on me? WTF! Why dont you just move to an old folks home insted?!!!?

You guys have any Ideas of what I could do maybe theres a way to sound proof my apartment? Maybe I could put some carpet under the speakers or something... I dunno.. anyone got any tips?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
During normal hours usually 9 am to 9 pm it's considered normal to do what you please. (check into local noise ordinance laws in your area for better details.) If your within that time period and are doing what you wish within the confines of your own living space and she comes down to complain again here is my suggestion.

The next time she comes down be polite but firm and tell her that you are doing nothing wrong or illegal and to please mind her own business. If she insists on arguing the point tell her that if she continues this line of harassment you will file a complaint with the police department against her.

That should shut her up. If it does not (and you have checked the noise ordinances correctly) Blast some death metal about two inches from your ceiling. When she comes down to complain again say "What? you like my music? Thanks ill crank it up for you" Then turn that baby all the way up and hope it knocks off some figurines off of her shelf.

What it seems like to me is that you have an apartment bully. Someone who wants peace and quiet all the time regardless of anyone else. Which is quite selfish.

[edit on 5/16/2008 by whatukno]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the Tip Whatukno, I guess I could try that next time although I really dont want to start a fight I think she wants trouble cause she probably has nothing else better to do with her life but complain. I was living in an apartment building sorrounded by older people and never got any complaints from anybody and Im not the kind of guy that will blast my music so everyone on the block can hear it. Your right this lady seams to think she rules this building. I had no idea that I would have to deal with this when I moved in last week, now Im frustrated and I feel like Im being deprived of my freedom. Ill try talking with her next time and see if theres a time when she wouldnt mind a lil muse, but if she starts being a nazi about it then Ill start being an asshole too and show her that 2 can play at this game

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I can relate to Mrs. Grinch, but I'm a lot nicer and more patient about it. Living in an apartment complex is a give and take. Some people have to realize that they're not living in a house where you can pretty much do anything you want. On the other hand someone like Mrs. Grinch has to realize that people have there own lives and must be allowed to do whatever they want to do within reason.

We used to live next to this very young couple that would sleep with the TV on all night thru to morning, and the TV was literally on the other side of the wall from our headboard. Eventually I had to get management involved. Cost me a C-note one time because I put a hole in the wall from pounding on it.

Finding good neighbors is really a crapshoot.

Peace

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Crimson_King

You guys have any Ideas of what I could do maybe theres a way to sound proof my apartment? Maybe I could put some carpet under the speakers or something... I dunno.. anyone got any tips?

Why don't you soundproof the old woman instead? I hear eggboxes work well.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Yes it is true that there are noise ordinances in place and you can't in any legal trouble between those hours, however if the lady starts complaining to the landlord at any time of the day, you can get evicted unfortunatly.

I'm sure many people here have had a neighbor like that living in an apartment, I remember one that lived downstairs from us that claimed we were making all kinds of noise when we hadn't even been home. We came home from grocery shopping and found her pounding on her door. However karma proved her worth and a couple years later we saw the lady in the news, convicted for first degree murder.

Maybe you can talk to your other neighbors and ask them if the noise bothers them and then ask if they know anything about the lady. See what feedback you can get from everybody else in the building.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
If you think YOUR neighbour has a problem, I highly recommend watching The 4th Floor.

I suppose I'm luck because my nearest neigbour is about 1/2 mile away.

I do remember moving into a new flat once though and the people downstairs had a dog (prohibited in the building!) which would bark almost non-stop when they went out. We had a hard time convincing them we were telling the truth until we invited them for a drink one evening with us upstairs. They were very embaressed and the dog was rehoused elsewhere.

Maybe the really social approach would work. Be overly nice and friendly until she would feel rude complaining. Get her loaded on Gin :w: and play her some of your "sweet" tunes until the bottle is empty.

She probably just needs a hug!

new topics

top topics

join