It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brrr! Mars Colder Than Expected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Brrr! Mars Colder Than Expected

news.yahoo.com

Peering beneath the ice at the north pole of Mars has now revealed the red planet may be surprisingly colder than was thought.

Any liquid water that might exist on Mars therefore might be hidden deeper than once suspected, closer to that world's warm heart, researchers suggested.

An international team of scientists used the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to probe the north pole of the red planet with radar. The ice cap there goes about 1.2 miles deep (2 km) and is roughly the size of Pakistan at 310,000 square miles large (800,000 square km).

These scans revealed the polar cap has up to four layers of ice rich in sand and dust, each separated by clearer sheets of nearly pure ice. Each dirty and clean layer is some 1,000 feet thick (300 me
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
180 miles thick ice on the Mars polar caps. That doesn't sound anything like the red hot planet we have always been told Mars is! I think the more research that is done, the more inhabitable Mars is going to be. But if bush finds out there isn't any more unranium he might cancel it all!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Sounds cold, right? An ice layer at the poles that is 2 km deep! And exactly how deep is the layer of ice in the antarctic? 2 km deep. Does that mean it is very cold in Florida in the middle of July?

I quit believing anything NASA or the other space agencies said about Mars when they started posting pictures of Mars with a blue atmosphere. First it was red, then blue. They apparently can't make up their mind.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I think that in no time we will know that life exists on Mars. It may not be life as we know it, but some form of life that is thriving. There is so much to be found out! I just wonder why the rovers haven't been able to report the temperatures around Mars, or if they have what did they report? NASA! Tell me!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Indeed, temperatures on Mars is nothing NASA talks much about. But there is a lot of information about temperatures on Mars in any event, if you do just a little Googling.

From all I've read, temperatures can reach up to 70 deg. F on summer days in the equatorial regions, though it drops to well below freezing at night.

Apparently you could survive with an oxygen mask; no need for a space suit (the atmosphere is very oxygen-poor). So, as sir chancelot noted above, it's not that unlike Antarctica, or the highest elevations here on earth.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
It all just leaves me with a great big 'WOW' effect! Sorry for the one liner ATS.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
From what I can see from data from a variety of sources going back a good way temperatures between 30-50 F aren't uncommon year round during daylight hours, but the nights are bitter.
Regularly in excess of -80. That's a big swing in 26.? hours, speaking as an earth beast of course!

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

if your not wearing a space suit your gonna want some serious sun block, because mars magnetic field is really weak so you'll be blasted by solar radiation.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I took this from another thread. It's me, but i'm ranting. Forgive that, but it contains some points I'd like to make.
First, though, if you haven't you need to look up nasa and mars on youtube. About 1/15 is actually useful info. The true/false color thing bugs me. It's deliberatley screwy. Or I'm stupid.
Rant:
I don't know where to start here.
I've looked into the Mars situation more than anything else. Not that that means much to you, but... let's just say that I'm a skeptic.

The situation is not s clear cut cartoon cover-up.
The EU/ESA knows there's life on mars. Of course, so does NASA.
Forget the Past civilization crap. Obviously, there isn't a thriving human-like civilization there today, so let's focus on one thing at a time.
EU/ESA would love to announce this to their people, but the good ol' US is afraid of two things: 1.) they don't want to upset the bible-thumpin' retards here and 2.) If they admit that there's life on Mars it will open the floodgates for a whole bunch of questions they don't want to answer.

The polar regions of mars have some kind of higher life. Probably like huge lichens or some kind of photosynthetic colonial bacteria. Maybe like big blue-green algae. Those regions are shielded enough from solar wind and have complex seasonal chemistry.

I'm a microbiologist by trade. The conditions of the polar regions of Mars are paradise compared to many of the hostile niches occupied by various bacters on earth. No joke. Extremophiles for an extreme example, but deep sea vents, everywhere. Bacteria can survive deep space vacuums, you wouldn't believe how tough they are.
Another thing, we've already contaminated Mars with earth bacteria. There are bacterial strains that are hard to 100% remove that have traveled to Mars on probes and are doing just fine there. At least, it's highly probable in my opinion.

NASA contradicts themselves about Mars daily. They lie about the atmosphere and environmental conditions. Good example: I watched a NASA researcher going on excitedly about how great the rovers were doing and in the process cited the absolute PROOF of not just oceans but complex freshwater systems in the not-too-distant past. Turn around, and that day the official NASA stance was strong evidence for there once having been an ocean of some kind.
Check out the Fasle/True color bs. Sort that one out. They use the terms indiscriminately. The ESA fasle color is not the NASA false color.

I could go on, but I have seen thousand and thousands of biological and chemical processes from many many different perspectives. Yes some inorganic processes mimic or appear biological but the distinguishing chararacteristics are present with close and ongoing examination. The types of "patterns," if you will, seen in the polar regions of mars. Are NOT and CANNOT BE SOLELY A RESULT OF SEASONAL FROST OR CO2 SUBLIMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is biological.

One more, if not, then why is there serious concern about designating all the regions of mars where non-NASA biologists suspect that there is LIFE as NATURAL PRESEVES, not to be developed commercially or residentially.???
www.direct.ca...
Which also raises a bucnh of other questions... whew... I've got tons more, but... what's the point?

ps. Iknow the mars parks bit is sketchy, but I've seen real UN documents about it I just can't find them....

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
reply to post by gottago

if your not wearing a space suit your gonna want some serious sun block, because mars magnetic field is really weak so you'll be blasted by solar radiation.

Yeah, but you might be suprised at what a prokaryote will tolerate!

new topics

top topics

join