It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honda robot conducts Detroit symphony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Honda robot conducts Detroit symphony

www.cnn.com

The lights dimmed, the sold-out hall grew hushed and out walked the conductor -- shiny, white and 4 feet, 3 inches tall.

This may be the first time any robot has conducted a live performance.

ASIMO, a robot designed by Honda Motor Co., met its latest challenge Tuesday evening: Conducting the Detroit Symphony in a performance of "The Impossible Dream" from "Man of La Mancha."

"Hello, everyone," ASIMO said to the audience in a childlike voice, then waved to the orchestra.

As it conducted, it perfectly mimicked the actions of a conductor, nodding its head at various sections and gesturing with one or both hands. ASIMO took a final bow to enthusiastic shouts from the audience.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I didn't see this story posted, and I though it was really neat. I can't wait until we have robots doing most of the household tasks we no longer want, or are able to. And imagine never needing a seeing eye dog. You just tell this robot where you need to go, and his GPS takes you there, helps you pay, and then carries your bags home. This is going to be amazing if we live long enough to see it...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This really has to be more interesting than this. Should I put a conspiracy spin to it?

"Honda uses scavenged UFO parts to build intelligent kill-bots!"

Or are you all still on the Robbie Williams thread?

[edit on 15-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Please forgive me for being disappointed with this article. A robot conducting and orchestra is neat, for sure, but when I clicked on the link I thought for some reason that it said "Honda Robot Attacks Detroit Symphony."

So hopefully, in comparison to what I thought I was about to read, you understand why this just wasn't quite as exciting. Oh well... maybe tomorrow.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

See? I agree, maybe the title needs some sprucing. But I was actually more interested in highlighting some of the advances that have occurred in the very recent past that will drastically alter the uses and functions of these robots. Just the ability to be online in wi-fi communities, not to mention the advantages of the current GPS systems, means that, for example, a possible solution for the aging, and more frequently alzheimer ridden, public.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
What' next? Robots taking over maids for hire jobs. Robots taking over dog walkers jobs. Robots taking over landscapers jobs. Robots taking over menial jobs. Sorry no more jobs at McDonalds or any other fast food place.

Hmmmm, where are people going to go to get a job to buy food and pay bills? Next thing we know robots will be creating themselves. There will be no need for human labor.

I'm not so sure I'm liking this, unless the economy was drastically over hauled so no one really had to work in order to get paid. Robots would do all the jobs needed in a more timely and practically perfect fashion. I guess then everything should be free for humans then. What do you think? First come first served.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

Wouldn't the goal of an enlightened societies be to elevate ALL of our citizens above this type of menial work? To one day have it so that almost all of our citizens area using the power of our own natural computer (our brain) to do so many greater things? I think that by the time these advances have happened, hopefully food and energy crisis will also be solved.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Might just be the cynic in me, but I doubt it's just mere coincidence that Honda chose the Detroit symphony. While they are seperate divisions of the company, I'd imagine that the automotive department pulled some strings in upper management to have the symbol of the American automobile have it's symphony directed by Honda's robot.

But otherwise I'm quite fascinated by their work with robots. They've brought robotics a long way and I can foresee robots like this becoming relatively common place in ten to twenty years.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Intelligent kill-bots!

It's nice to see such an optimistic and hopeful dream though (humanity being elevated above the need to perform tasks that prevent us from utilizing our full individual potentials... not that conducting a symphony detracts from our full potentials in my opinion), and I for one would love to see it come to fruition. Sure, there are dangers with any technology. It would be nice though, and it's something to dream about and aspire toward in my opinion.

[edit on 5/15/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Intelligent kill-bots aside, I think that the civilian applications for these machines would be endless, but as your post pointed out, would be difficult to assimilate without first accomplishing the elevation of the servant class. This would be a rather tricky thing to accomplish in a 5 to ten year span....

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
All i can think of is Skynet and the terminator. Smart Robots are scary!!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
we're a long way away from any danger from these little guys, as of now they are programmed to do their tasks and they follow dots or patterns on the floor.
we can start fearing them when they start to pick themselves up after falling or making choices on their own. not to mention learning and not having to stop to recharge. then, humanity is screwed.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Any sentient life, organic or not, if created on this planet, has rights, equivalent to those we enjoy/suffer.
Lets keep that in mind when we are faced with some awkward questions, say a 100 years from.
Until then, lets make sure that it doesn't take more than 100 years to get to that stage!

Very good news.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

lol, shades of A.I. and that weird movie with Robin Williams. How long does anyone think until there are at least moderately priced domestic robots?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm going to star your thread just for your statement"Are we all still stuck on Robbie Williams?"

LOL,it's like God himself plugged ATS,I mean it's great that a well known celebrity mentioned ATS,but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,ATS and its STAFF and some MEMBERS are making WAY to big a deal about it/him!

I mean come on now,it's just ONE guy.

Anyways I'm sure it will pass(hopefully)(Maybe I should make a thread "bashing" the obnoxious attention of ATS wasting its time about ONE GUY,I mean he isn't even a "A list" celeb-But I won't make a thread about it,I really don't care enough to.)

BACK ON TOPIC-(Lol,after my rant)It's great to see robotics progress to that level,although "ASIMO"is nothing new and its capabilities are well known,but your thread reminds us of how quick we are advancing as a race.Just like the new "mind reading"baseball hat",it is truly amazing how far we have come and how far we can advance,the future is truly limitless.(Anticipating of course we are all not killed by Nibiru-LOL)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
reply to post by Daedalus3

lol, shades of A.I. and that weird movie with Robin Williams. How long does anyone think until there are at least moderately priced domestic robots?

I would guess by 2030 we will have "domestic"robots similar to "I Robot"of course the military will have them first

I just hope it doesn't take a turn for the worse like "The Matrix"or "I Robot".

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

signature
You are crazy for seeing a bright moving light in the sky!
You are not crazy for believing in a man that walks on water!

I don't think I've ran into you before on these forums(I might have,who knows,I have so much to remember being in school and all,lol)

But anyways I starred your post just cause I loved your signature......what a great comparative statement!!

ON TOPIC:Yes,there will be ALOT of new issues(alot being moral) in the futue dealing with intelligent machines,sci-fi becomes reality every day doesn't it?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
ASIMO is an impressive robot and in fact it was the introduction of ASIMO to the world that made me think seriously about Honda as an automobile manufacturer. I've owned three since.

This is an impressive story, too, as you can observe ASIMOs fluidity of movement that is hard to believe.

However, ASIMO is quite limited in the ways that most here have suggested.

ASIMO has its limits. ASIMO's engineers programmed the robot to mimic Charles Burke, the Detroit Symphony's education director, as he conducted the piece in front of a pianist about six months ago. But it can't respond to the musicians.

During the first rehearsal, the orchestra lost its place when ASIMO began to slow the tempo, something a human conductor would have sensed and corrected, said bassist Larry Hutchinson.

"It's not a communicative device. It simply is programmed to do a sense of gestures," said Leonard Slatkin, the orchestra's musical director. "If the orchestra decides to go faster, there's nothing the robot can do about it. Hopefully, I keep that under control."

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 2008/5/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Its funny, I was literally just over at the dealership checking out a Hybrid. Not because I care about the environment. If I get it, I may actually pour oil down the street drain to keep up my footprint.

I keep thinking that there is so much out there that has yet to be explored or pushed, if you will, when i comes to our science. There is an almost imperceptible line that we seem perched to cross. I think at some point in the near future you will see certain technologies merge and create some things that were once only dreamed of. It is not just the robot, but many computer/voice recognition/GPS/wi-fi/super-chips that tell me soon there will be an amazing jump in AI and robotic technologies. I can't wait to see what we can do for amputees...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Your rant was acceptable. I feel jaded because I posted a question to him on like page three, and then he answered the posts above and below mine.

Good for you Robbie, but give me back my site!!!

Oh, and we have had plenty of celebs and politicians who all have admitted to seeing ufo's. The main difference? Maybe we just need to invite them?

new topics

top topics

join