It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive bird spotted in Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I have read tons of stuff on thunderbirds and seen its been a topic on here.But i cant believe anything like this could weigh like 90 and fly still..why arent we picking these up on radar?esp in alaska?

archives.cnn.com...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

WOW,thats all I can say,we are discovering "previously though extinct or mythical"creatures everyday.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well the Andean Condor's wingspan can be up to 10ft wide, so its not far off the mystery bird in the article (and which lets be honest, the wingspan they gave was just an estimate- and they would have been shocked too, so could have unintentionally subconsciously exaggerated its size, which is not unlikely considering that there wouldn't have been much in the landscape to accurately compare the birds size against either etc).

Andean Condor;

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't know if one of these giants could live in the habitat the mystery mega bird was spotted in though? With warming temperatures, people are finding all kinds of new animal immigrants in habitats.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It's been proven time and time again that people are not equipped to judge size or wingspan of flying objects. Furthermore, most often they are hundreds if not thousands of feet off in calculating distance.

I saw a in depth study of that guy in the plane and from his angle and distance he's likely wrong. As for people on the ground, probably wrong as well. It would take a bird being at arms length for me to believe any of these stories.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Yes, I remember this report. There are also 'pics' of the damage done to a Cessna that got too close - with the giant bird's detatched foot protruding from the wing of the plane!
I 'think' this one was a hoax in the end... Don't quote me though, ok?

J.

[edit on 17-5-2008 by jimbo999]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I live in Alaska (now Fairbanks) this sighting is what first got me interested in Cryptozoology. I grew up on Prince of Wales Island. There was a series of reported sightings that started in Southeast actually on my island (around Ketchikan) and headed Northwest. It appeared in a local newspaper in my home town months before the report in the Anchorage one. The reports said the bird (just one) was about the size of a Cessna (small float plane) and solid black or dark in color. The first report was 2 miles out of town out Port Saint Nicholas rd. and was made by a good friend of mine. The bird was feeding on fish scraps dumped on the beach and was accompanied by numerous eagles also feeding. A couple weeks later 2 forest service workers witnessed it while working on a nearby island.
Of corse most of this was laughed at, and just dismissed as drunk natives (yes racist I know but that is simply how some people see them. Not me though lol) The fact that in Hydaburg (another small town on the island populated by mainly natives, the Haida in fact) people claim to see bigfoot on a regular basis doesn't help.
So I propose that this was a migratory action of the bird. Alaska is vast and largely unpopulated. It is not unfeasible that such a bird could be living here.

It made me smile seeing this post so I just had to say something.

-Shane

top topics

join