It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Boots were made for walking - Boots Guide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thats one thing I never really looked at - waxing boots. Some soldiers would rave about melting beeswax for getting a good shine on parade but never really for waterproofing, polish and goretex used to take care of that usually.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would probably take two pairs of boots with me:
First ones would probably be jalas made taistelijan jalkine m 05 (aka combateer boot model 2005)

mostly because they are milspec and jalas is makes very sturdy boots, so they wont break up after years use. Allso no goretex or other fancy materials that come useless after couple years. used m 91 boots in army, very comfortable after breaking in. Not used m 05 myself, but heard that even better than 91. mostly because skiing option was dropped out, which allowed better design. parade boots made my feet hurt, so remember breaking in.

and the other ones definetely be these:

Model Rokka (site finnish only sorry) winter rubberboots, designed for and used by finnish defence forces. original design is from winter war at 1940. Used these for about four months during winter time of my army service. temperature usually -15 - -20 degrees celsius couple times under -25 degrees. usually last place to start freezing was feets.

those boots are probably the most rugged and warmest boots you can get. just remember to keep the felt liners dry and these boots will take minus 40 degrees celsius without freezing your toes. boots are bit heavy, because of extra thick rubber and about seven layers of wool and felt insulation at the sole. Buy couple sizes big boots so you can get couple wool socks inside. with liners and couple wool socks very comfortable boots to use.

allso these are designed to connect directly to army ski bindings. so one suggestion. if you are even thinking that you might end up at snowy terrains when bugging out, Learn to ski. allso if your hideout is at area where you might get snow (take allso in mind the possibility of climate change),stock up couple forest skis designed for unprepared snow. it is much faster and more effective to move on skiis than walking.

edit: found fdf english info on winterboot

[edit on 26/5/08 by hopea]

<< 1   >>

join