It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

360 post-9/11 workers have died, including 80 of cancer, says state

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

360 post-9/11 workers have died, including 80 of cancer, says state

www.nydailynews.com

More than 360 workers who dealt with the aftermath of the World Trade Center disaster have died, state health officials said Wednesday.

Officials have determined the cause of death of 154 of the responders and volunteers who toiled at Ground Zero, the blocks nearby and at the Fresh Kills landfill, where debris from the site was taken.

Of those, 80 died of cancer.

"It's the tip of the iceberg," said David Worby, who is representing 10,000 workers - 600 with cancer - who say they got sick after working on rescue and recovery efforts.

"These statistics bear out how toxic that site was," Worby said.

Most of the deadly tumors were in the lungs and digestive system, according to the tally from the state's World Trade Center Responder Fatality Investigation Program.

Other deaths were traced to blood cancers and heart and circulatory diseases. Five ex-workers committed suicide, said Kitty Gelberg, who is tracking the deaths for the program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Why are we not hearing more about this, and moreimportantly where is the help for these brave people, who not only risked their lives in the immediate aftermath of 911, but who are now wondering if they are under sentence of death for helping others.

Michael Mooores "sicko" included an interview with a 911 rescue worker who was being denied treatment by their health insurer.

This is something that the government should be doing something about - ORDER the health insurance people to pay for treatment, or pay for it themselves.

Whatecer the rights and wrongs of 911, these people were incredibly brave and selfless - they should get all the help they need,and compensation for their families if they die prematurely.

Is there also a possibility that they died as a result of a conspiracy - from the toxic effects of explosives?

www.nydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/5/2008 by budski]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

This story is sending off my red flags...it hasn't even been six years and in my opinion that is a huge mortality rate with what looks like more to follow.

What's going on?

Starred and Flagged.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
yeah well it seems like Bush and his buddies had the EPA lie for them regarding the safety of the air. Take a look at this article:
www.commondreams.org...

this begs the question. Why did they lie about the air? Was it to get workers there to clean up faster?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Thanks MS - it rang some alarm bells in my head, but I don't know enough about these kinds of diseases to make a judgement.

I posted it in the hope that one of our medically minded members might be able to shed some light on it.

It all seems rather strange, to have that high a mortality rate in so short a space of time, and raises the question of insurance again for sick building syndrome - and that'sbefore expolsives are considered.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This enrages me. The lie was told for so long that the air was safe to breathe.

So we let those EXTREMELY brave men and women go down there to rescue and help clean up.

And what do they get in return? They get to rot with cancer in their lungs and get denied health treatment.

God damn it that is so infuriating. They go in to those buildings, risking their lives to save people they DON'T EVEN KNOW! And this is how our almighty upstanding leaders treat them.

I hope a few of them donate their bodies to science. I think Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rice and Giuliani are due for a lung transplant.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Indeed,
those brave people deserve so much better than this.

I have nothing but respect for them - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do what they did, I'm not even sure I could.

And yet their plight is being ignored - is this the reward that bravery and self-sacrifice can expect?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
And yet their plight is being ignored

And isn't that one of the ultimate signs that our media is controlled?

The media will show us the big bad police officers knocking down doors, guns drawn and tasers going in to the backs of those evil marijuana smokers, only to give us our much needed update on how Britney Spears is doing or who Paris Hilton is having sex with now.

But these true heroes are suffering and dying when they don't have to, and because its damaging to the sliver of a fraction of credibility and decency that this administration has remaining with the slower individuals walking amongst us, the story is completely ignored and suppressed.

If our media gave a damn about any of us or the heroes that sacrificed so much on 9/11, how about we take away AT LEAST ten damn seconds of Britney time and dedicate it to telling these people's stories?

You could round up every idiot celebrity and combine every heroic thing they have ever done, could ever do or would ever have the balls to do, and it would not even come close to what just ONE of these first responders did on that day and the weeks following that day.

Yet they're the ones treated like gods.

Its utterly disgusting and I can't stand it.

[edit on 5/15/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I completely agree. It angers me to no end that America's heroes get treated like this and are dying of things that with good healthcare could have been prevented or at least treated. They put others lives before their own that day, and our society just turns a blind eye to this. The media is definitley guilty of letting this go unknown to the public.

O well watching american idol helps me live my life without having to think about these things.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is the state our societies have been reduced to - when people would rather block out the nasty images to read about social parasites who contribute little or nothing.

It seems that people would rather that the real world didn't intrude on the fantasies they build up their heads.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I guess thats people's idea of "freedom"; you get to block out the things that matter and only pay attention to the things that make you normal by society's standards.

Really its just about being normal and being able to create this fantasy world inside your head and live beyond your means.

Its funny that these people who don't care that our first responders are dying would be the first weak asses wanting their help if they were in trouble.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
There is an excellent documentary about this topic titled: "9/11: Dust and Deceit at the WTC" which premiered at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival in February of 2007.

Below is an excerpt:

Website

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Didn't Christie Whitman head of the EPA say the air was safe to breathe???

She wouldn't lie...not a government official...

She would never place monetary concerns above human lives!

Well at least we know they are offering all possible medical help to the first responders in the same manner we take care of our veterans when they return from war. Only the best for those who served and answered when duty called.

Right???

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
A great video, and one which shows the true contempt bush&co have for the american people - they just don't care, and they will lie and cover up to keep the truth from people, apparently with the complicity of the MSM.

I think we are going to see a lot more of this, and these brave people have my sympathy - it's a pity that bush&co don't feel the same, or are they doing this simply to avoid lawsuits?

911 hasn't ended, and the death toll continues to climb.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This also lends some additional credence to the theory that a new type of nuclear device was used.

There are threads here on ATS about that scenario, though I'm at work so don't have time to find them. If I get time later I'll edit in a link or two to the other ATS threads on that topic.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Thanks Ionized, that would be very helpfull.

Everything that brings attention to this dreafull state of afairs can only be good.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Crazy conspiracy theory : towers were built with the purpose to be demolished, and with asbestos in them so the rescue workers die and there is nobody to tell what was there

I hate this kind of stuff, almost everything around us is poisonous and not biodegradable.
I once saw a man painting something over his head without any kind of protection. He was painting with an air hose thing ,and all the fumes were in his face. Now I feel sorry for not going to him to tell him to protect himself. But the level of education also matters

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is one of those things people hear about and automatically assume something is drastically wrong. Absolutely laughed out loud about the nuclear device.

All a person has to do is talk to some real people who are actually involved with a couple of trades. The average person probably doesn't realize that a union insulation worker has only around 25% chance of retiring alive. Most die from cancer. Same applies to steamfitters although they seem to have a higher retirement percentage staying alive. Many of these types of union workers have a mandatory 55 age limit on retirement.

You see many firemen and policemen retire at age 55, ever really wonder why it's set up this way? It's actually required at a federal level for several wage grade trades. Would it possibly be what they are exposed to on a day by day basis, not a one time occurrence.

I saw the article. Looks like lawyers seeing dollar signs as far as I'm concerned.

Truth spotlight is turned off, back to the darkness of conspiracies....

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Lets not forget that Bush and Giuliani were both at the site only a few days after it happened, breathing that same air.

I'm not saying that the air quality was safe, nor am I saying that these guys don't have a legitimate grievance. They probably do. Guys, the truth is that they probably didn't have a clue what was in those buildings. They were constructed 30 years before it happened.

It was a mistake, possibly a deadly one, and perhaps the gov't was negligent in the case, but that's all it seems to have been.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
vor78,
I agree to an extent, but I'd also like to make the point that the people who worked on the site have been treated abysmally by the government, as have some of the troops in iraq.

They want people to do their dirty work for them, but aren't prepared to give them any back-up when things go wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join