It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia urges NATO to help stop military build-up in Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Russia urges NATO to help stop military build-up in Georgia

afp.google.com

BRUSSELS (AFP) — Russia's military chief urged NATO Thursday to take steps to stop a build-up of arms in its neighbour Georgia and warned that conflict could break out if no action is taken.

"NATO has to take measures in order to prevent arms supplies to that region," Russian defence chief Yuri Baluyevsky told reporters at the military alliance's headquarters in Brussels.

"I don't exclude that there could be a conflict in Georgia, and the only way to prevent it is to stop the militarisation,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NATO warns Russia not to interfere in Georgia

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Russia's normally shown as being a big, ugly bear ready to attack the rest of world but this action paints a new, calmer, wiser picture of Russia.

Is this a genuine Russian request aimed at preventing a skirmish with Georgia or has the bear borrowed cunning from a fox enough to cast a dark light over NATO so that it can use NATO's inaction to excuse military reaction to Georgia's provocation?

afp.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Georgia Quits Post-Soviet Air Defense Treaty

MOSCOW, May 14 (Xinhua) -- Georgia Wednesday formally withdrew from an air defense treaty signed by post-Soviet states, Interfax news agency quoted a statement of the Georgian Foreign Ministry assaying. The Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) Treaty on Cooperation in Air Defense, inked in 1995 by Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine, was designed to create a joint air-defense system. Georgia informed Russia earlier this month about its decision to withdraw from the pact, amid tensions between Tbilisi and Moscow.

EU Backs Georgians in Russia Row.

Five EU foreign ministers have voiced their support for Georgia in its continuing dispute with separatist regions backed by Russia. Slovenian Foreign Minister Dmitrij Rupel said the EU was reiterating its backing for Georgia's sovereignty.

On the face of things, it seems that Russia is just trying to help two states achieve independence while the EU and some NATO nations stoke Georgia for war. Who's the bad guy here? And why is the EU approving Georgia's actions by showing support?

I get the feeling some are set to gain through this conflict.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Golly Russia wants a disarmed Georgia! This after they were threatening war just a few weeks ago.

Does Russia know something we don't. Like NATO's weapons work and kill Soviet made junk.

It's nice the regional bully is talking sense now that the kids he's been picking on has picked up something to fight back with.

I'd let Georgia join NATO, they want to anyway, only Russia has it's panties in a wad over this.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My, my how our memories fade when hypocrisy clouds our common sense.

People will cast Russia as the bad guy in this situation. Those people will most likely be Americans, which brings me to the hypocrisy.

Someone remind me of what we do to Cuba? Can someone remind me what the Cuban Missile Crisis was all about?

But I guess its alright if we arm Georgia, right?

DOWN WITH RUSSIA!!!!1 GO AMERIKA!!!!1

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

People will cast Russia as the bad guy in this situation. Those people will most likely be Americans, which brings me to the hypocrisy.

Someone remind me of what we do to Cuba? Can someone remind me what the Cuban Missile Crisis was all about?

Starred..

..because I agree with you. I've seen it so many times - NATO, the UN, America, Europe, basically the West all call and jeer every nation that isn't in accord, support a weaker nation in disagreement with the East, Middle East et al or "invades" a nation all for the purpose of helping to "civilize", "stabilize" and "liberate" the poor, unfortunate savages. When will our "leaders" stop sticking our noses into other nations' affairs? When will people stop thinking of non-western nations as being poor, unchartered corners of the world where people live in mud huts and urinate in holes into the ground? End of rant.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacity

We need to stop arming these countries to provoke Russia and worry about ourselves. The money we invest in to other militaries is beyond ridiculous. I can think of thousands of things that need that money more here within our borders.

Russia has not invaded Georgia to this point, so I'm not sure how provoking Russia helps the Georgian people. Its like these people find these little battle grounds to fight on and what ever innocents are in the way is an acceptable loss. They don't consider, nor do they care, what the people think or want.

If Russia attempts to oppress Georgia and invades, then thats a different story. I wouldn't mind us sending arms to the Georgians so that Russia doesn't slaughter them all. But there's no need to start World War III to arm them just for the hell of it.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

It's battle by proxy - we don't want the fight on our own lands (oh no, we're too cultured for all that fighting malarkey. Think of the devastation it'd cause) so we try out (and tire out) a rival nation/group of nations by provoking battles between our rivals and their neighbours. Didn't a lot of European battles happen away from Europe and in the New World? It's the same thinking at process here - keep the explosions at a safe distance; send in the troops when the worst battles are over; if it looks like our side's going to lose then pack-up, go home and send in the peace-keepers.

It really does make me sick to think that our "leaders" are creating battles that our soldiers hence we lose our lives fighting.

Like you say, the money could be better spent on other things i.e us. Perhaps (conspiracy here, I can feel it) our governments prefer to spend money on weaponry rather than to have our populace running around educated. If people were educated, they might just realize that they don't really need so much governing.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Point very well taken. Good counterpoint! Heck, even I starred it!

Cuba was part of a global strategy of both Russian and American driven. Missiles already in place in Turkey but the USA was looking for a reason to disband them. Cuba was the reason. Russia had intermediate range missiles pulled back and the USA had the same thing done.

new topics

top topics

join