It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is torture so offensive to people?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res_ipsa_loquitur
Numerous message boards here on ATS talk of how torturing terror suspects is so 'evil'; however, I would argue that now, more than any other period in history, its use is entirely justified.

Human rights/civil liberty promoters endlessly rant about how inhuman, unconstitutional, illegal, etc the practice is. I think the key flaw in their whole argument is that torturing suspects who wish to threaten our freedom and liberty is indirectly preserving our rights granted by law by removing the threat which they desperately advocate.

Another way of looking at the whole situation is to look at it subjectively, as opposed to objectively. Imagine, the situation: your loved one goes to work in a nearby city by means of a train commute. That train/subway is then attacked, as in London back in 2005, and your loved one dies as a result. However, the whole heartache and loss could have been prevented if the authorities were legally allowed to extract crucial information prior to the attack by means of torturing an associate of the terrorists. Would you still abhor the use of it as so many of you do?

Of course there will be innocent people who are wrongly suspected of involvement in any attacks/plots and subsequently tortured but is the torture of one innocent that wrong in order to be able to torture ten guilty persons?

People in the U.S. should be more proud of their government organisations, in particular the CIA, who allegedly participate in these practices.

There are several problems with this.
1. A suspect is someone accused of a crime and has not been found guilty of it. So that person you think is ok to be tortured could be innocent and this has happened at least a few times. That is NOT acceptable.

2. Torture has NEVER been shown to be a reliable means of extracting information.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Res_ipsa_loquitur

Have you ever had an Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) doctor tell you that you need to use saline solution to rinse your sinuses?

The most efficient procedure is to lay on your back with your head hanging off the bed and spray the saline solution in each nostril.

The only significant differences between this procedure and waterboarding is you are doing it to yourself (and not being held down) and you are using salt water instead of plain water.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Why is torture so offensive to people?hmm, maybe becasue subjecting our fellow humans' to die a horrid, slow, agnonizing death is not nice, when we can end it quick and is not the best idea for them or us, nor is good for the soul. Or maybe because nowhere in the bible does it say thou shall torture your fellow man or rip them limb to limb. Well those are just my thoughts slick....Peace!

[edit on 19-5-2008 by pak88]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

OP forgot the USSR.

Is that reason enough for torture to be offensive?

The USA has become the new USSR, and it´s falling by all standards.

Hey, OP, How much do they pay you to defend Bush policies?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Another way of looking at the whole situation is to look at it subjectively, as opposed to objectively. Imagine, the situation: your loved one goes to work in a nearby city by means of a train commute. That train/subway is then attacked, as in London back in 2005, and your loved one dies as a result. However, the whole heartache and loss could have been prevented if the authorities were legally allowed to extract crucial information prior to the attack by means of torturing an associate of the terrorists. Would you still abhor the use of it as so many of you do?

I guess I know what you meant! I would most certanly torture someone in order to save a loved one. But would do so knowing, being 100% aware, that it is wrong! Ready to suffer the circunstances of my did!

Not having this acknowledge is just scaring!

Of course there will be innocent people who are wrongly suspected of involvement in any attacks/plots and subsequently tortured but is the torture of one innocent that wrong in order to be able to torture ten guilty persons?

unfortunatelly the numbers are the other way around! And IF you'd actually studied the subject, you'd know this for sure!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CharlesMartel

And you're not using a soaking rag held over your face to stop your breathing while you struggle to stay alive.

At least keep it logical!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join