It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is torture so offensive to people?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Torture is sex for the lowest form of life ever created. The next pleasure being the Church of Satan. No need to torture me, I'll give you all the lies you (think) want to hear. Anyone who believe's Any garbage about - torturing someone helped save...... is a complete fool and a drain on the food chain. So please, go ahead and drink the Kool Aid, the illegals are awaiting your empty home to make it they're nest.
Signed,
This (dumb) Little Indian

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by Wildbob77
How long do you torture someone before you might suspect that they actually don't have the information that you want?

I don't think getting the information is really what the torturers are after. Thats just the excuse.

It's the sexual pleasure that sadists get from inflicting pain on others.
A sane person would be incapable of torture in the first place.

I think it is a cop out to pretend that sane people don't torture. As hard as it might be to admit that this is a part of the human psyche, it is. These people are cognizant, aware, and fully responsible for their actions.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by wytworm]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Mr. Res_ipsa_loquitur.
First I thought that you were messing with people on ATS, trying to use some sort of reverse psycology, in order to promote awareness regarding torture. Instead I realized that you absolutely couldn't care less about it, even think it's usefull in today's "war on terror".
Are you [snip] kidding me dude. There is and never has been any reason, for somebody to be tortured. This [snip] isen't the kind of Monty Python torture, where they use soft pillows, until you "give it up".
History teel's us about torture going back to the roman crusifictions, to the shows at the Colleseum, where people of the christian faith were hurdled into the arena in groups, and then the lions were let in to do the dirty job. However the ones who really perfected the art of torture were the Algerian police/military. They got so good at it, that several goverments, would "lease" agents to countries in south america, to train future tortures. America got the best that money could buy. The C.I.A would be trained by several troops of Algerians, and believe you me, they were good at their jobs. After that, whenever a military coup was perpetrated in latin-america, CIA would send their own groups of tortures and show the newly formed goverment, how and what to do.
There's simply not a speck of truth to the question, does torture work. I really wish for people who believe in this kind of warfare, that they could sit in the room where the use handheld drills, electricity to the genitals, water-boarding and the smashing of kneecaps and breaking of fingers would be just okay.
Even if the poor unlucky guy dosen't have any intel, he'll tell you anything you want to know, and then some. As long as you'll stop hurting him.
Funny how it's always someone higher up the ladder, who okay's this kind of behavior. The politicians who don't want to get their hands dirty.
One last fact: Of all the members of the american congress. Only one has a boy in the military. Let's pray that he dosen't fall into enemy hands, and if he does, let's hope his captors dosen't think like you do buddy boy.

Mod Edit: ABOUT ATS: Vulgarity and The Automatic ATS Censors

[edit on 5-17-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
You might want to check that thread to see "why torture is so offensive to people"...(can't believe I'm writing that) !!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Good luck with this post bro. LOTS of bleeding heart liberal anti-government folks on this site. The responses should be entertaining LOL.

Originally posted by Res_ipsa_loquitur
Numerous message boards here on ATS talk of how torturing terror suspects is so 'evil'; however, I would argue that now, more than any other period in history, its use is entirely justified.

Human rights/civil liberty promoters endlessly rant about how inhuman, unconstitutional, illegal, etc the practice is. I think the key flaw in their whole argument is that torturing suspects who wish to threaten our freedom and liberty is indirectly preserving our rights granted by law by removing the threat which they desperately advocate.

Another way of looking at the whole situation is to look at it subjectively, as opposed to objectively. Imagine, the situation: your loved one goes to work in a nearby city by means of a train commute. That train/subway is then attacked, as in London back in 2005, and your loved one dies as a result. However, the whole heartache and loss could have been prevented if the authorities were legally allowed to extract crucial information prior to the attack by means of torturing an associate of the terrorists. Would you still abhor the use of it as so many of you do?

Of course there will be innocent people who are wrongly suspected of involvement in any attacks/plots and subsequently tortured but is the torture of one innocent that wrong in order to be able to torture ten guilty persons?

People in the U.S. should be more proud of their government organisations, in particular the CIA, who allegedly participate in these practices.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You people just don't understand.

All these muslim freaks want to do is kill us. They don't want to make peace and sing kum-by-a with anyone - not even each other.

They kill their own people.

They do not deserve to live. And if they are tortured a little bit before they are put up in front of the firing squad --- SO WHAT!!!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomfrusso
You people just don't understand.

All these muslim freaks want to do is kill us. They don't want to make peace and sing kum-by-a with anyone - not even each other.

They kill their own people.

They do not deserve to live. And if they are tortured a little bit before they are put up in front of the firing squad --- SO WHAT!!!

You just don't get it do you?

That's fine, I can see you're new here. During your stay, I expect that you might start 'denying ignorance', because your post here reeks of it.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Why is torture so offensive to people?

Well, thats an easy one.

If you are a human being, then torture is offensive.

But if you are a cyborg, well thats another story.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
You know, you people are offensive to me.

I lost 2 family members on 911, a brother and an uncle.

I am all for torture. If this is the only way of getting information out of these islamo-facist nut bags, too bad.

All of their lives put together are not worth the lives of my brother or my uncle.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tomfrusso

I am extremely saddened by your loss. I truly wish that had not happened to you.

Now, I am going to show you a quote from one of my own posts here on this thread in response to your post, and I hope it helps you understand where I'm coming from:

And THIS is why doctors many times, are not allowed to operate on their own family members.

Because they are emotionally involved and fail to see things using reason [or clear eyes].

[edit on 5/18/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Yeah the Nazis did that to the Jews in Eastern Europe, do you also support them?
Christ your a nut.

"Those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither".

Read the thread I started here:www.abovetopsecret.com...'
It perfectly outlines the problems with torturing suspects.
In the long run all it does is sow the seeds for more vengeance against the US.

[edit on 18/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

Yeah the Nazis did that to the Jews in Eastern Europe, do you also support them?
Christ your nut.

"Those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither".

Read the thread I started here:www.abovetopsecret.com...'
It perfectly outlines the problems with torturing suspects.
In the long run all it does is sow the seeds for more vengeance against the US.

Okay, okay, maybe he's got a point here,....NOT. No human being deserves to suffer torture, ever.

G.I.Jane vs Rendition...Hollywood vs Reality...Training vs Torture...WATERBOARDING

The physical let alone mental anguish someone will undergo can be detrimental let alone possibly affective of that persons psyche for the rest of their life. Anyone who condones torture should first have it done to them to let them have a taste of it, to see what their condoning. Wait, nope, I take that back.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You people make me laugh.

I have been tortured. I lost family memebers and friends on 911.

So, I don't care about the muslim islamic nut bags - or whatever they are being called.

I have to live everyday of my life without those I love because of these morons.

I'll say it again...LET'S TORTURE THE WHOLE DAMN BUNCH OF THEM!!!

Not one of these idiots - in whatever prison they are in - deserve any respect at all.

We should get any information we need any way possible.

I could care less for any of them.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

No, you suffered, you did not get tortured. You were never in physical jeopardy.

Getting intelligence from people from torture doesn't work. No amount of torture before 9/11 would have saved your family members. No amount at all.

I understand grief can affect people badly, but please don't let it cloud your view of the issues at hand. The US is founded on the principles of due process and human rights - are you really willing to urinate all over the US just to try to protect yourself (even when you already know this method of "protection" doesn't do squat)?

I apologise for your loss, but making others suffer for no reason isn't going to bring your loved ones back, it's only going to cause more hurt. You're wishing what you've gone through on other people - you know it hurts, but you want it to happen to others. That, to me, is disgusting.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Frusso, Torture serves no purpose.

It is aimlessly cruel and in short a waste of time.

I can condone issuing the death penalty to convicted terrorists, but to torture them is pointless. Needless to say, torturing suspected terrorists is completely out of line.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

So, I don't care about the muslim islamic nut bags - or whatever they are being called.

I have to live everyday of my life without those I love because of these morons.

Not one of these idiots - in whatever prison they are in - deserve any respect at all.

Tom, do you just keep hopping on this thread saying the same crap over and over again, or do you actually take the time to read the responses given to you.

The problem with you, is that you're letting revenge motives take you over, without thinking about the actual issue here.

"Revenge is just a lazy form of grief"
-from The Interpreter

[edit on 5/19/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

And you make me laugh kid!!
Many people, including myself lost loved one's in 911
and torturing anyone will not make a despicable situation any better.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Torture is unreliable, takes far too long to work, and frankly is absolutely not necessary. This has been proven, repeatedly, by both military and civilian sources. People will say anything, do anything, to avoid torture.

During World War II, we found that we could extract information much faster, and more reliably, without torture. There are many drugs available that lower mental resistance, and many interrogation techniques that can, and do, extract verifiable information from prisoners.

Only the ignorant believe that torture actually works more effectively that other methods. The problem is, we have so few trained interrogators, that we can't properly question everyone that we need information from. Our military and civilian resources are far too small for the needs.

However, psychological pressure is NOT torture, no matter how much the "liberals" want to claim that it is.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

So all muslims are evil and need to be tortured?
How do you know you have the guilty party to torture?

Let's flip the situation around...let's say you get captured by, as you say 'muslim islamic nut bags', you're innocent of whatever they claim, or they just got you because you're an 'american christian nut bag' to them. Or it's even a mistaken identity. They torture you for days and weeks 24/7, but you don't have any information to give them, but the physical and mental pain is finally too much to take so you, an innocent person, confess to something you didn't do.

See how torture doesn't work?

Losing people you care about is awful, but to inflict violence on others for it doesn't bring them back. It can cause retaliation which would in turn cause retaliation and then more retaliation...it just goes over and over again. Nobody wins that way.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Res_ipsa_loquitur

You must be a complete moron. Apparently you don't understand that the reason torture doesn't work is because when people are being tortured, they will say/do anything to make the pain stop, once they have reached their pain threshold. Get it? So torturing a terror suspect will provide nothing but flawed intelligence because they are going to say whatever it is the person torturing them wants them to say, including making stuff up to make the pain stop!!

Get a clue.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join