It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I dont understand it, i dont think there is really there to understand actually. Art used to be about expression and had an actual meaning behind the lovely image on the portrait but now art is just too weird it doesnt seem that there is any expression or any meaning behind it.

I mean how is a blue rat driving a pink car an expression of the artists lives? is there any meaning behind it? i will tell you what it doesnt seem like it it seems like the artist got lazy and threw some crap together.

or people who just splash paint on canvas...where is the deeper meaning? in short modern art sucks.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hi caballero. I feel the same way about music. I was just pondering that today, like everyday as soon as I hear my teenager's stereo. Jeez, these bands have some serious anger issues. Scream into a mike so loud that you spit and call it a song.

Anyway, not to change the subject, I get it. However, at a gallery in Vegas last week I saw some beautiful pieces, like none other that I've seen before. Keep looking, you know what appeals to you and you'll find it.

Rush

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

god so many bands today sound exactly alike. when did music lost its diversity?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by caballero
when did music lost its diversity?

In the 80's.

rush

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of Modern art but that doesn't mean it's not just as legitimate as other forms. If a work makes you think, provoke emotion/passion or inspires it's probably worthwhile.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
but is it really that worth while most of what ive seen seems rather pointless.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
That's what they said about Monet, Degas, Renoir and Bazille at the start of the Impressionists movement.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
thats a good point. and they turned out to be some of the greatest artists ever

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Oh my goodness isn't that the truth. Monet blows my socks off and his paintings look so different for varying distances. I just viewed some of his works (haystacks) at a local museum and I just sat for an hour staring at the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It was one of the first times I had seen real masterpieces in person...needless to say it left an impression (no pun intended).

and

The above don't look like anything but in person it's nothing short of genius. I really wasn't that thrilled when I heard the exibition was going to be showing thoes paintings. I looked as some images on the internet and thought to myself what's so wonderful about that....then I saw them hanging on a wall...and WOW! Can't even explain it.

My favorite Degas painting by far is this:

It just strikes me though I can't think about how creepy Degas really was during his life with all the stalking of scantily clad young girls in dance halls. lol

Some other favorites:

Monet

and

Benson

Sorry, I'm rambling now. lol I could go on and on with this stuff.

If you click refresh on this page you will see my avatar rotate through 90 of my favorite works.

Anyway back on topic I do know what you are saying about some of the modern art works though. It doesn't float my boat either and will never be seen on my home but "beauty in the eye of..." and all that stuff. I just couldn't help seeing a connection to the impressionist movement rocky beginning.

[edit on 5/15/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by caballero

god so many bands today sound exactly alike. when did music lost its diversity?

When record companies started telling them what will make money and when artists didn't sing about their real worlds.

Just a bunch of people telling you the obvious for a mainstream appeal!

Individuality is too risky in the commercial marketplace I guess.

Modern art...bit like modern jazz.....if you can't paint anything with skill, or don't know how to play an instrument in tune, you get Modern art and Modern Jazz.

OK for "happy-clappers" and the ignorant.

Trad Jazz is different, tea on the lawn, summertime by the bandstand an all that. Nnnnnnnnice.

I think modern art has been revealed as nonsense many times by 3 year olds and the like!

new topics

top topics

join