It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.-Trained Forces Reportedly Helping Mexican Drug Cartels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

U.S.-Trained Forces Reportedly Helping Mexican Drug Cartels

www.chron.com

WASHINGTON — As many as 200 U.S.-trained Mexican security personnel have defected to drug cartels to carry out killings on both sides of the border and as far north as Dallas, Rep. Ted Poe, R-Humble, told Congress on Wednesday.

The renegade members of Mexico's elite counter-narcotics teams trained at Fort Benning, Ga., have switched sides, contributing to a wave of violence that has claimed some 6,000 victims over the past 30 months, including prominent law enforcement leaders, the Houston-area Republican told the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yikes...Talk about having something "come back to bite you on the a**"!

More success on "the war on drugs".

Not good, not good at all....

Officers 'switched sides'

The U.S.-trained Mexican security personnel have "switched sides and became assassins and recruiters for the Mexican drug cartels."

Poe, a former prosecutor and criminal court judge, issued the allegations in an unsuccessful effort to persuade the House Foreign Affairs Committee to revamp President Bush's Merida Initiative.

Bush's blueprint calls for $1.4 billion in training, equipment and law enforcement assistance to Mexico and Central America over three years.

Bush also is seeking $500 million in emergency assistance for Mexico this year as part of the supplemental war spending measure.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hi again DD.

Though we seem to agree on a lot of issues, the sheer bulk of numbers of foreign and domestic operators or mercenaries or whatever you want to call them, practically guarantes that a few of them will use that training to do things that most of us disagree with.

I was the recipient of a great deal of US tax dollar funded training. I am certain that you and many others would disagree with some of the uses I put it to.

I disagree NOW with some of the things I did.

The war on drugs never had a clear line of separation from some parts of US government involvement. That comes from the attitude of "the end justifies the means".

It will always come down to individual willingness to take responsibility for our own behavior. I am at peace with mine.

new topics

join