It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Supreme Court strikes down the state's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
"Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has twice vetoed legislation that would have granted marriage to same-sex couples, said in a statement he respected the court's decision and "will not support an amendment to the constitution that would overturn this state Supreme Court ruling."

"It's about human dignity. It's about human rights. It's about time in California," San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom told a roaring crowd at City Hall after the ruling was issued.

"As California goes, so goes the rest of the nation. It's inevitable. This door's wide open now. It's going to happen, whether you like it or not."

www.breitbart.com...

Sounds like it is going to stick. "Equal is Equal"

I support 100% - NO Religion in government - full separation of church and state.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Marriage is between a man and a woman. I do understand that people have the right to be with who they want, love who they want, and what happens behind closed doors is simply none of my business, or my families. I agree that there has to be an answer for the problems with insurance, etc. But is same sex marriage the answer? No, not in my opinion. There are other ways to remedy the situation of health coverage, and some of the other conerns that relate.

But when you legalize same sex marriages it opens the door to other gargantuan problems. The majority of our nation views marriage between a man and a woman. So one way or another, you start adding the subject of adoption, and it nto only makes it harder for the child to develop in life without looking around asking where Mom and Dad are, but also being rediculed by the majority of the nation that believe homosexuality is wrong in the first place.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Umm.....Marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. End of discussion.

Being homosexual is just not natural and is a defect within the body, like when someone is born with a physical or mental handicap. Like all species, we are born to multiply and two men cannot.

Please.......comparing slavery to being gay is just ridiculous.
There are already law that prohibit incest and humans with animals and I think gay marriage should also be banned because its just not natural.

Excuse me, but dolphins have gay sex all the time. If that doesn't prove that homosexuality is natural, nothing does. What makes homosexuality a defect?

I'm perfectly straight in all ways, but I have nothing against two men or two women that happen to be in love with eachother and get jiggy when they're at home. It's no big deal if they're giving a little PDA outside as well as long as they keep their pants on for the sake of prejudiced jerks who are bothered by love.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I am all for gay marriage. (It's not that I like gays, infact I hate them! I want gay marriage so they can be miserable like everybody else).

All kidding aside, even though gay marriage seems fair as it involves one segment of the population making a reasonable request to be treated like everybody else at virtually no cost to the entire population, I do not think that the US Supreme court will strike down anti-gay marriage laws as unconstitutional.

First, the Supreme court is more conservative now than it was since the Warren Era. Conservative justices read the Constitution very closely. The Constitution does not explicitly mention anything about gay rights, therefore a conservative Supreme court will not read in anything into the Constitution which guarantees gay rights.

Second, Conservative Supreme courts are originalists. They tend to think the US Constitution's meaning is freezed in time at the time it was written, unlike liberal judges who tend to think the meaning of the Constitution evolves over time. Back in the 18th and 19th centuries when key US Constitutional provisions were written, gay marriage was clearly not accepted. Conservative judges are more likely to rule that the Constitution did not reverse the status quo of gay marriage being unacceptable.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Decision strips children's rights to a Mother AND Father

When you put it that way, it does seem pretty messed up. I would be incredibly messed up in the head right now if I were raised by two men rather than a mother and a father. Think about the values that you miss out on by being exposed to only one sex all the time! That's awful.

I didn't really care of same-sex couples got married, but when it comes to the children I am a bit worried.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
Prepare for judgement day, repent and flee California while you can, for soon it will be torn apart.............

Only by conservative neo-Nazis.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
Prepare for judgement day, repent and flee California while you can, for soon it will be torn apart.............

Hey Helio, long time no talk

The story of Sodom and Gomorrah and California. Hey I always wanted to be famous

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Now all we need is to splice genes together and create an artificial womb and then we can all have children and live in happiness.

Progress into a brave new world!! you've got to love it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
People are still blantletly missing the point.

This is not a Gay Rights issue.

This was 4 Judges, 3 of whom were appointed by republican Govs, who have over ruled the vote of the people.

That is the issue that we need to be seeeing. The PTB, and the Alphebet Media have run a diversion mission, using the cover of Gay Rights.

Personaly, i belive the majority of this Judical Bench was bought, like a cheap hooker, these people of the cloth have been bought. Bought to exert the will of a few.

Justice Carol Corrigan was one of the Justices that voted in the minority. Afterward she stated. (I can't find the exact quote right now, but i heard her on a radio broadcast) "Personaly i belive that gays should have equal rights, but this issiue is a basies of is this strictly and plainly in the constitusion, that however is not the case. So while in favor of gay marriges, i must uphold my duty, and vote WITH the people of California and vote to uphold the ban on Gay Marrige.

That is a Judge being a judge. Abandoning thier personal views, to preside over the people.

The Main, and most Important Point of this is that the Judges of California, have overruled the people.

The Powers of the Few have overrided the Masses.

Please, people, you need to stop trying to compare Gays and Blacks... its just not a responsible comparision. Being Gay is a choice. Being black is a result of where your ancestors have lived. There is just no connection.

This type of action IS prevenlent throughout history. Hitler was elected thru TRUE democratic elections, but, he did not derive his power from the masses. Hitler apointed Judges. When he had an issue that he wanted passed that was controvesial, rather then using the conventional method of listening to the voices of the people, Hitler would have the issue sent to the Judges that he had apointed. Using this method, Hitler was able to pass all kinds of laws that the PEOPLE would not have passed.

This is the same thing happening here, instead of JUdges saying that Jews can't bath in the same pool as Aryins, its legislation against the sancity of marriage.

Now, to the less imporatant issue of the gays.

Someone stated that homosexuals can reproduce, and they have the vital organs to do so. What they failed to adress is, HOW CAN A GAY COUPLE REPRODUCE. How can 2 homosexual males reproduce?

Also, i posted a second question, one that was a little harder then the first, What Civilzlations, throughout the course of human history, have openly embraced Homosexuality? What have become of these socities?

Someone brought up that other states will not recognize the marriges. This is True. In Massacuchets, where they did this some years back, They had a law that you have to be a resident to obtain a marrige license. This is however not the case in California.

Any couple will be able to travel to California and get married, but if they leave Calisfornia, and then go back and live in one of the 48 states that do not recognize Gay Marriage, they do not have thier marrige.

If the Gays what to have this privilage of marriage, then they should have to do this the right way, rather then buyiong off judges, they should have to have legislation passed thru the State Legislation, and then Voted on by the people.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Californians won't be pleased with this ruling, insofar as they already voted to define marriage as an arrangement between one man and one woman.

The court ruling really doesn't support same-sex marriage. It states that the definition of marriage violates the state constitution.

While I don't support an amendment to the US Constitution defining marriage at this time, I do believe that state constitutions is where marriage should be defined now that we have a populous that is too ignorant to know why marriage exists in the first place.

Another option, which I also support, would be for the people to vote to abolish all state recognized marriages and the benefits thereunto appertaining.

[edit on 2008/5/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
People are still blantletly missing the point.

This is not a Gay Rights issue.

This was 4 Judges, 3 of whom were appointed by republican Govs, who have over ruled the vote of the people.

No one is missing the point.

This has been answered several times - by several people - in this forum.

You just don't want to accept it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Why would a child have a hard time being brought up by two people of the same sex. Over in England many gay couples have children, and they are brought up just fine.

In fact I heard a study somewhere that said a child brought up by a gay couple is less likely to be gay than a child brought up by straight people.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

TKain....you write a lot, but one thing stood out.....'Gay people can't reproduce'.

So, by this logic, two people, a man with a vasectomy and a woman after a hysterectomy, cannot marry, since they can't 'reproduce'???

Your kind wish only one thing.....bigotry. Pure and simple.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl

Decision strips children's rights to a Mother AND Father

When you put it that way, it does seem pretty messed up. I would be incredibly messed up in the head right now if I were raised by two men rather than a mother and a father. Think about the values that you miss out on by being exposed to only one sex all the time! That's awful.

I didn't really care of same-sex couples got married, but when it comes to the children I am a bit worried.

I was raised by a mother and grand-mother. I'm doing just fine.

Personally - I'd rather see two mommies - one a stay at home - then a working mother and father - and the kid at a baby sitter.

These "social" arguments are really pretty lame. Everyone has adjustments to make in any kind of relationship.

Unfortunately - judgments usually come from the outside - by people who are unwilling to accept others.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Please, people, you need to stop trying to compare Gays and Blacks... its just not a responsible comparision. Being Gay is a choice. Being black is a result of where your ancestors have lived. There is just no connection.

There are two very legitamte reasons for that comparison.

1. Blacks were persecuted. So are gays.
2. Black is genetic, and so is homosexuality. I realize you don't think that, but the general consensus of the scientific community does

Someone stated that homosexuals can reproduce, and they have the vital organs to do so. What they failed to adress is, HOW CAN A GAY COUPLE REPRODUCE. How can 2 homosexual males reproduce?

I noticed you completely skipped over my post to you about reproduction and population

Anyways, two homosexual men have a women birth the baby. Vice versa. Two homosexual women (why the super focus on gay men and no mention of women?) use male sperm.

Also, i posted a second question, one that was a little harder then the first, What Civilzlations, throughout the course of human history, have openly embraced Homosexuality? What have become of these socities?

Ancient civilizations? Yeah so the problem with answering that is... you will just say "Yeah! and they fell!!" Let me pretense this question with another question before I answer. Which ancient civilization hasn't fallen? Or changed so much that it in fact, is no more?

Modern societies? Umm.. yeah there are modern societies that support homosexuality... shouldn't you have known that before you made such a conviction?

Any couple will be able to travel to California and get married, but if they leave Calisfornia, and then go back and live in one of the 48 states that do not recognize Gay Marriage, they do not have thier marrige.

Right?

This is why the other States need to adopt this push for equality as well.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Why isnt anyone looking at this cases in its own words to see how the court concocted this sceme?
www.courtinfo.ca.gov...

The court was too affraid to even discuss a fundamental aspect of humanity, one of the chief reasons societies even sanction marriage in the first place.
Human procreative capasity.

This exists in most m/f group units but not in ANY gay group unit (m/m/, f/f)
YES, gay people are perfectly capable of carring for kids and fostering a productive amily unit,
BUT
they cant naturally CREATE CHILDREN like the m/f unit can,
wanted or not.
ZERO gay group units will ever become pregnant by accident, NOR can any gay unit currently have kids without "paying" for them...artificial fertillity costs big bucks and adoption also has ecconomic criteria that must be met before you get custody of a child....
any medically sound m/f group unit can however create children for "free"...nothing is required.

It seems that the court is all too willing to close its eyes to these fundamental aspects of human relations, and simply try and on paper call an apple, an orange.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Broken records.

The population is what 6 billion. 7 billion. 8 billion people?

The Worlds' population is increasing. Fact.

Are you suggesting that legalizing gay marriage is going to turn heterosexual people gay?

Because that's the only argument behind homosexuality being the demise of human procreation, that would have any merit. BUT, that's not the case. People don't magically turn gay.The bigots that believe there is some crazy radical gay agenda believe this, but it is not so.

If the entire world embraced homosexuality, there would still be the same heterosexuals reproducing...

[edit on 023131p://16u14 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am so sick of this 'Gay is a choice' claptrap!!

It is not, I repeat, not a choice!!!!

By that logic, 'straight' is a choice as well.....it just DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Marriage is a legal union to protect rights of person and property of the individuals.

That is ALL it is.

It has nothing to do with God - Religion - personal Belief - or fundamental aspect of humanity.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
I am so sick of this 'Gay is a choice' claptrap!!

It is not, I repeat, not a choice!!!!

By that logic, 'straight' is a choice as well.....it just DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!

I so agree.

Recent scientific studies have proven brain chemicals can be altered to make a male of a specific species attracted to same sex or opposite sex.

Human physiology is of course more complicated. But just recently I read: scientific study has determined there is no black & white in determining gender or attraction - - its far more complex then anyone previously thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join