It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates: U.S. Should Engage Iran With Incentives, Pressure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Gates: U.S. Should Engage Iran With Incentives, Pressure

www.washingtonpost.com

We need to figure out a way to develop some leverage . . . and then sit down and talk with them," Gates said. "If there is going to be a discussion, then they need something, too. We can't go to a discussion and be completely the demander, with them not feeling that they need anything from us."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
thinkprogress.org

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The words sound pretty much all well and good. I just also feel that putting them into practice my be way out in left field. I say that because I am just not to sure if any of the senior officials have much desire to have any serious talks. Much less to abandon the uranium enrichment which is the main thing the U.S. wants.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bill Gates is Jesus I think.

I say do anything this man says. I usually tend to agree with it.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
Bill Gates is Jesus I think.

I say do anything this man says. I usually tend to agree with it.

What exactly does Bill Gates have to do with this post?

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said yesterday.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

I assumed Bill, my bad. He gets active in politics sometimes.

*Edit:

I still agree with him.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well Gates may be up for discussion and open diplomatic talks but I guarantee you the rest of his Administration won't see eye to eye on that.

Plus his notion of "developing leverage" sounds a little troubling and not too transparent. Leverage in what respect?
More threats? More sanctions? Blackmail? Extortion?

If this guy is genuinely up for bringing Iran to the table for open diplomatic confrontation, that I'm all for that. I'm glad somebody finally realized the last thing America needs now is to be stuck in 3 quagmires instead of two, but getting the rest of the Hawks in Administration to go along with this could be an uphill battle.

Bush seems intent on painting the Iran and Ahmadinejad as a reprehensible and aggressive regime who needs to be overthrown. Of course, the lack of evidence in backing his claims is not surprising, he's crying wolf again but nevertheless we all know Diplomacy and Republicans are like Oil and Water.

[edit on 15/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
[
I assumed Bill, my bad. He gets active in politics sometimes.

ok, so do you think the defence sectary Gates would be flatter or appalled at your mix up?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

Bush seems intent on painting the Iran and Ahmadinejad as a reprehensible and aggressive regime who needs to be overthrown. Of course, the lack of evidence in backing his claims is not surprising,

True there is no evidence of that. Unless you want to take into consideration there support for Hizbullah. His statements about Israel don't exactly foster a kind and loving image either.

Regionally, since the Islamic Revolution, Iran has sought to exert its influence by supporting various groups (militarily and politically). It openly supports Hizbullah in Lebanon and in order to influence Lebanon. Various Kurdish groups are also supported as needed in order to maintain control of its Kurdish regions. In neighbouring Afghanistan, Iran supported the Northern Alliance for over a decade against the Taliban, and nearly went to war against the Taliban in 1998.[18]

wiki

[edit on 15-5-2008 by RedGolem]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Flattered.

He hasn't screwed up as much as Rumsfeld, so he's not on the top of my mind.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

DEBUNKED.
The "Israel off the map" has been widely debunked as a mistranslation and was taken way out of context. Why people still bring it up as proof Ahmadinejad has a sinister anti-Semitic agenda boggles the mind:

www.mohammadmossadegh.com...
www.juancole.com...

As for it's support of Hezbollah, granted that is nothing new, but the same cannot be said for it's alleged sponsoring of Shiite Militias in Iraq, as that has yet to be proven conclusively true by ANYONE:

Iraq's Government says they have yet to see any evidence:

"We don't have that kind of evidence... If there is hard evidence we will defend the country."

Yahoo

British Intel have yet to see any evidence:

"I have not myself seen any evidence -- and I don't think any evidence exists -- of government-supported or instigated" armed support on Iran's part in Iraq, British Defense Secretary Des Browne said in an interview in Baghdad in late August.

Washington Post

The US has yet to display any public evidence, first-hand knowledge, Intel or anything that could prove these allegations which they repeat like prayer. They got nothing on Iran and they know it:

The officials offered no evidence to substantiate allegations that the "highest levels" of the Iranian government had sanctioned support for attacks against U.S. troops. Also, the military briefers were not joined by U.S. diplomats or representatives of the CIA or the office of the Director of National Intelligence.

Although the administration has made many assertions about Iran's nuclear program, its role in Iraq and its ties to groups on the State Department's terrorism list, the U.S. government has never publicly offered evidence proving the allegations.

Washington Post

Here's about a dozen other reputable news sources who have all reached the same conclusion as above:

www.washingtonpost.com...
www.dailystar.com.lb...
article.wn.com...
www.iht.com...
www.globalpolicy.org...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Face facts. Bush talks tough and aggressive but behind his Hawkish facade he knows he has little substance to the sabre-rattling he does all too often.
Until evidence surfaces, America seems to cry wolf yet again.

Just another smear campaign to try and make Iran seem like the "clear & present danger" Iraq was. And we all know how well that turned out, what with the Phantom WMD's and all.

[edit on 15/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am aware of the mis representing of the "wiping off the map" statement. But that does not change the derogoratory statements he has made about Israel. As I said before I am not trying to say this proof of his intentions, just that it does make him look clean and pretty. He might turn out the be the catalyst and match for world war three, or he might not. As you pointed out there is no proof of the former, but there is also no proof of the latter.

Iran's hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Thursday called Israel a "stinking corpse" which is doomed to disappear as the Jewish state celebrated its 60th anniversary.
afp
thread

new topics

top topics

join