It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long has 2012 been known about

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What i am curious about is, did anybody know about the 2012 thing is did anybody know about 2012 say before the year 2000.

I can't help thinking its just another scam same as when in 1999 most people were expecting say the "end of the world" and it never happened just the same as in the 70's everybody was expecting an ice age to occur.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
ummmm yea they were called the mayans, they were around about 5000 years before us...they are the whole reason there is any significance attached to the year. its not a scam, i dont know how or why a civilization would try and trick us into believing something they had such strong beliefs and feelings towards if it wasnt true.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbooms

No, MrBooms, that is not (I think) what Survivor is asking.

As I understand it, s/he is asking the same thing that I asked myself several months ago, but never really got an answer:

When exactly did this "2012" thing became known to the Western public - and though which channels, exactly?

I lived all around the world, and have a pretty long memory, but I don't remember hearing or reading about it before, say, 1995 or so.

I wouldn't have asked, if it hadn't turned out that the origins of the 2012 phenomenon - as a part of Western "folklore" - seem to be remarkably obfuscated.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

same as when in 1999 most people were expecting say the "end of the world" and it never happened just the same as in the 70's everybody was expecting an ice age to occur.

Most people were expecting the end of the world...?
Were you?
I know I wasn't.
Or anyone in my family.
Or any of my friends.

So... who, then?

And while I wasn't an adult in the 1970s, I do have a remarkably long memory - and yet this is the first time I hear about anyone "expecting the Ice Age"!

I am not nitpicking without a reason: being precise in one's thought AND expression is a very healthy practice.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hey vanitas, how old are you and "your memory"? Just curious.

I believe the 2012 phenomonon (major spelling error if you hadn't noticed) started to really sink in when NASA found Eros, an object whose path almost ALMOST intersects ours (Earth). It was discovered by the NEAR Shoemaker probe which was lauched on February 17th, 1996

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
IN a book i'm reading ( the mysteries of 2012, it tries to give every possible insight about 2012 there is ) there is a guy that heard about it in 1980 so it is a persistant one. So it should be somewhere in the 70's or even earlier.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

a bit of a schmuck

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
@vanitas thanks you hit the nail on the head and im a he btw

@mrbooms thanks for the sarcastic remark, really helpful and "umm yea" i knew about the mayan calender

i never thought the world would end in 95 or so but people were expecting some big event to happen at the turn of this century but nothing happened - even the millenium bug turned out to be a *scam*.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I just can't help feeling that this is another scam conconted by the elites as one more thing to keep us distracted as another of there many means of control.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Screamo - don't you know that is not a question to ask a lady...?

And besides, don't the lines exactly above your post directly answer your question?

I don't know about "sinking in" - you may be right, and any piece of information is welcome, of course - but for something to "sink in" it has to be floating around in the public awareness.

That's what Survivor - and myself, in an earlier thread - were asking: when and how did this information appear and spread in the Western culture?

Somebody must have published a book or an article for this piece of information to become known in its present version and then spread around the Western culture - and it weren't the Maya.

Of course I could find out who it was - or were, more likely - but at the time of posting my original thread on this I naturally thought I would get more information here...

P.S. The (verbal and mental) "precision" I had in mind has very little to do with spelling. An illiterate person, for example, can be very precise in his or her thought and expression nevertheless.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

@vanitas thanks you hit the nail on the head and im a he btw

Don't mention it.
And I am she, BTW. Not that it matters.

I wouldn't worry about it being a "scam", Survivor - certainly not one meant to ensure control to any specific group.

I don't know what exactly it IS - and I am not really doubting that the Mayans had very good calendar-computing skills or insight into things that transcend this culture of ours, BTW.
I would just like to know how and when it spread throughout the West...
It's not being able to get a straight answer to this seemingly simple question what makes me turn into a bloodhound (but still a nice one!
).

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
thanks Vanitas, your understanding is appreciated and your right, sex doesn't matter male or female - its the knowledge thats important.

I find it interesting that *know one* has posted here... that yes! 2012 was mentioned or started to get a mention in say 1980, 1993 or 1999 etc. or earlier

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by survivor

I hear you...
Even a wider time frame would be appreciated - not to mention the book(s) that spawned this phenomenon.

I guess I'll have to research it myself, no problem - but, this being Friday night, not right now...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by survivor

It seems we have a date: 1987.

At least that's what Bradden & al. claim in their book The Mystery of 2012:

"Since 1987, various people have started announcing 2012 as the end of the world" (p. 311).

That, according to the same authors, is because in 1987 Jose Arguelles (sorry for the missing diacritics) published his book The Mayan Factor, which seems to have been the predominant influence in this regard.

Now, Arguelles had published a book called The Transformative Vision twelve years earlier, in 1975. According to Bradden & al.,

"a very brief mention on page 305 revealed that 2012 is the year in which the era-length (5,125-year) cycle of the ancient Mayan civilization comes to its conclusion. Arguelles expanded on this in in 1987, in The Mayan Factor, bringing it to the attention of the world at large."

So, now we know.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Interesting... No comment?

I am not necessarily a huge fan of Bradden in general, but this is purely historical data, I see no reason to doubt them.

And of course, the fact that the entire thing didn't become known until Arguelles' 1987 book doesn't automatically imply that what it says is untrue.. Not at all. But it does open legitimate questions about this cultural phenomenon as we now know it.

[edit on 17-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
ok thanks vanitas.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by survivor]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
At least it was known: 1872000 = 13 x 144000 days before.

August 11, 3114 BCE (Start of Maya Calendar)
December 21, 2012 (End of Maya Calendar)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I have just found this link, although i can't take any credit for it, it was posted by a member here called pai mei in the thread about sigil magik.

all credit to him/her/they or them
....nevertheless very interesting

-=2012 Olympics=-

[edit on 18-5-2008 by survivor]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
"At least it was known: 1872000 = 13 x 144000 days before.

August 11, 3114 BCE (Start of Maya Calendar)
December 21, 2012 (End of Maya Calendar)"

the number 144,000 has great Biblical significance.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I would of thought that 2012 was known about when the mayans made their calender

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join