It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I Helped O.J. Get Away With Murder'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

Actually, when you think about it, OJ can't sue. To do so he'd expose himself to cross-examination and, of course, find himself back in court.

Doubt he wants to do that. You can bet that Mr Gilbert got legal consultation when he did the book. The publisher would probably provide that service.

Note that OJ's lawyer Mr. Galanter had only a short comment, characterizing this tale as delusional, motivated by money. Doubt he'll say more because this would just add to the publicity.

2 cents.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
OJ wont sue,

A. any proceeds would go to Ron Goldman

B. he wants to avoid any and all cross examinations pertaining to that night.

C. OJ may have an idea that some explicit evidence "may" exist that could directly implicate him as being the direct perpetrator of the murders.

D. Mr Gilbert may have been given some type of assurance from the DA for this ruse.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by robertfenix

Why would the proceeds go to the Goldmans? Does he still owe them money or was that some sort of clause in the punitive damages?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The judgement was for $33.5 million. I don't how much OJ has paid, but I think he still owes quite a bit. However, if he could somehow pay off the judgement, he can earn money for himself, again.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I didn't see this stated yet, but this guy couldn't be charged for anything. OJ was found innocent by the state. So, OJ is innocent, so this book is fiction. Do I believe OJ is innocent, hell no, but if you go through everything legally, how could this guy be an accessory to a murder, when the guy he was helping wasn't found guilty of murder. His lawyer probably told him, "go write the book, no one has any type of case against you". I suppose the Goldman family might have some type of civil suite they could file, but even then, I don't know if they have any grounds for that either. Whether this guy is telling the truth or not, nothing is going to happen to him most likely.

JPT

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Not to get off subject but since he does owe so much money, how is it determined what he can and can't own or how much income he is allotted or for that matter what level of lifestyle he is allowed?

I mean the guy plays golf every day for goodness sake. He has no job yet he seems to live a very comfortable life. If I had a civil judgment against me, I'm sure I would be stripped of every dime and be living in a van down by the river. In fact most divorced men can afford little more than a small apartment and a 77' Impala with alimony and child support being taken from them.

He's not allowed to profit from anything, right? Why is it that OJ lives the good life with so much debt and the type of debt he has? Can someone explain it to me?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
its called a Golden Turkey Clause or something similar. Essentially the NFL retirement plan which is a life long benefit can not be impounded by civil litigation.

So OJ can live off his retirement money without having to pay any civil judgment rendered against him by the court. The courts jurisdiction can only impact his real tangible assets at the time of the judgment and any "future" earnings.

Since his NFL retirement package is not "future" earnings, they are actually partitioned dispersements from past earnings.

OJ had to sell his home, collectibles etc to show a total liquid asset holdings, from which his court fee's, attorney fees, base cost of living allotment must all be deducted. So according to his balance sheet submitted to the court his costs outweighed his total assets.

Thus he paid no money to the Goldman et al Civil Judgement

Should his "income" situation change, The Goldman's and Brown's ? Have to petition the court, provide proof of income whether through discovery or through admission by the income source of the change in income.

From there the court has to look at the existing balance sheet, give OJ and council time to respond with an updated balance sheet accounting for the new income and see if there is a new balance showing in overage that could be attached to OJ and ordered to be paid to the Civil Judgement.

Up to now, OJ has been able to prove he still owes far more then any "attachable" income that he receives.

p.s. His star power liers also helped him achieved this goal by writing HUGE attorney fee bills that were submitted to the court but yet they have no interest in pursuing to collect on from OJ.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by robertfenix]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by robertfenix

I know he is entitled to his NFL money but I just figured that due to when he played, his pension/retirement money wasn't enough to allow him the seemingly playboy lifestyle he leads.

However, you did tell me quite a lot I didn't know, so thanks for that.

I'd assume he does make some shifty under the table money as well as the issue with him being a celebrity as you mentioned. I guess it would be naive to think that the court is watching his every move and checking under his mattress for cash. Although, if I were the guy appointed to keep tabs on him I'd certainly wonder how he was able to live so well.

Does anyone know his monthly or yearly NFL income? I'm going to see if I can find it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This guy could still get in hot water if he perjured himself on the stand regardless of the outcome of the criminal trial. Also, remember that in the civil proceedings OJ was found guilty of Wrongfull death. I don't know how that would affect any charges, but I imagine if the DA thinks it worth it they could still find some way to charge him as an accessory. I'm sure there would still be plenty of legal wrangling over it though. OJ still owes money to the Goldmans. That's why the judge awarded the rights to OJ's book "IF I Did It" to the Goldman family...along with the proceeds from the sale of his memorabilia.

If you weren't sure about OJ's guilt or innocence then "If I Did it" will change your mind. Even though it's presented as a hypothetical.....it damn sure reads like a confession.

I haven't read this newest book, but I did hear that the proceeds go to charity....just not sure if it's a percentage or all of them. I have seen both.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
oj can't sue for libel because he was found both innocent and guilty in 2 different courts

link   
oj can't sue for libel because he was found both innocent and guilty in 2 different courts

link   

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I was in LA when the whole thing happened. We lived real near to Nicole. I saw the helicopters hovering in the sky as OJ was fleeing in his SUV and we watched some of his progress first hand off the interstate. I also saw OJ frantically looking like he was stalking or looking for someone at the Brentwood Market days before the murders. It was an aerie feeling, and one that we never forgot.

There were signs posted in many locations such as in Laguna Niguel where her parents lived; "OJ is not welcome here!" Generally, the locals "new" he had done it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Apparently noone actually read anything about this book. Gilbert says that the "confession" took place AFTER the Criminal trial. The only shady thing he did was told O.J not to take his arthritis medicine before putting on The Gloves, which sounds a little strange to me because I thought the reason the gloves didn't fit was because O.J. had to wear rubber gloves on his hands also when trying on The Gloves.

I personally dont believe Gilbert at all. Just somebody looking to make a buck on this travesty of justice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join