It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you might not have gotten your tax rebate yet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Why you might not have gotten your tax rebate yet

www.usatoday.com

Q: The payment date for my Social Security number has passed, and I haven't received my rebate. Why not?

A: The payment schedule applies to taxpayers whose tax returns were processed before April 15. If you filed your tax return just before the filing deadline, the IRS might not have processed it by April 15, which could delay your rebate, IRS spokesman Anthony Burke says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wtvm.com
www.kiplinger.com
www.wbir.com

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I cannot believe this... but I filed direct deposit on the 15th of April and since it was not more then a week before the 15th I will not get my refund direct deposited for a long while...They were quick to publsh a schedule of when you would get your rebate if you did the direct deposit..(all would have been by May 16th) Too bad I planned to use this to pay my car bill!! Leave it to the government to screw you over!!! Also, if you paid for your preparations by deducting the money out of your rebate you are going to get a check and not direct deposit so it will be a while.. This begs the question~~~ why could they not have just told us that!!! I fear other people are in the same situation I am in.. expecting this money to pay bills...

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Based on our SS # and the fact that we didn't file for direct deposit, ours may not come until July 11th. So I'll bet there are a lot of folks who will be waiting for quite some time, unfortunately. Mailing takes more work and time than electronic processing and direct deposit.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I would not plan to use your money on July 11th.. Don't depend on the IRS schedule.. They may delay it further if you filed less than a week from the 15th of April or for other unknown reasons.... Thats all I am saying..

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'm not planning on spending it at all if I can help it. We have zero money set aside for emergencies, and I don't like that. But I know what you mean. Good advice.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Your first mistake was planning on using money from the "IRS" to pay bills in a timely fashion.

I wouldnt expect to use any money that the government says it is "giving" me to pay a timing critical bill like my vehicle payment.

Whenever it gets here (like i believe that payment schedule) it will be going into the old savings account. Just like any other unexpected windfalls of cash.

My $.02

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
No offence ats, but if you’re counting on the gov for anything, you’re putting yourself in a very bad spot. They’re there to take what you’ve got, and not give you a thing. If you really are relying on gov promises to make a car payment, then I would suggest a serious review of your finances, with an eye toward living within your means. Best of luck.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
I wouldnt expect to use any money that the government says it is "giving" me to pay a timing critical bill like my vehicle payment.

Guys..it is NOT FREE MONEY. You must claim it on your 2008 return. It counts as income which means it will have to be included in your taxable income.

In other words...the IRS will adjust your 2008 return or you will.

Free money...yeah right.

- Lee

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
This particular topic is also covered in Economic Stimulus Package Question: Where's my check?, so it may be wise to continue posting everything into one thread instead of two (or more).

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I can pay my car note... I have money stashed away that I dont like to get at...so please dont offer me any more financial advice.. the point of this thread from my perspective is that the government posted a date for when something will arrive and basically lied.. I think we should be able to depend on the government for stuff like that.. If my company tells me when I am going to get a check they should give it to me by that date... thats all just trying to warn people who might be in a similar situation...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I just wanted to let everyone know that the IRS made a mistake with our rebate and forgot to figure in our daughter. You can go to the IRS website and use the Economic Stimulus Calculator to let you know if you received the right amount or not. If not, then you call the IRS Customer Service line and they'll fix it for you.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I never said anything about free lee, and if you will look, giving is in quotations.

Dont know where you got that from out of my statements, but i believe that nothing in life is free. Especially money that i earned, handed over to TPTB, and they handed some back.

Anything "given" to me by the gubmint is most assuredly got some price tag attached to it. And probably not a monetary price tag either.

My $.02

Silver

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
i filed for DD back in march and my ssn ends with 49. but still nothing? i was supposed to get it on the 9th and when i go to the irs site and check where is my stimulas rebate it comes up with nothing. what in the hell. lol

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I do not believe that is accurate. I recieved a second letter telling me that I will get a check... and still no check... but thats another story, but in this letter it specifically stated that you do not have to post this on your 2008 return. They cannot count this as income, it is a tax rebate. They would then be taxing you twice on the same money. I will recheck my letter when I get home from work, but I am fairly certain that what I stated is accurate.

top topics

join