It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House to boost GI Bill as it passes war funding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

hosted.ap.org

By ANDREW TAYLOR
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush wants more money for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. House Democrats are making him pay for a price - increased education benefits for veterans of those conflicts - to pass his long-stalled request.
The House also was poised to approve on Thursday an extra tax on wealthier people. The new revenue would help cover the 10-year, $52 billion cost of bolstering the GI Bill and providing those veterans with a college education.
Senators, however, are balking at the one-half of a percentage point increase in tax rates on income topping $500,000 for individuals and $1 million for couples. At the same time, Republicans and business groups say the plan amounts to an increase in taxes on small businesses that pay taxes at the same rates as individuals.
The war spending would provide $163 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan into next year. But Democrats are focusing more on their add-ons, especially the big increase in the GI Bill and an extension of unemployment insurance for people whose benefits have run out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Well friends, here we go again. $163 billion for the wars for NEXT year is getting funding!
It seems that getting out of Sandland is nothing more than a cheap campaign slogan again.
At least with all of the pork that you know is hidden in that funding bill, at least some will go to the GI bill.
It still amazes me how Washington can just keep throwing around vast sums of money like that.
I guess that I'm amazed, sad and confused, just the way this damn administration wants me to be.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join