It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian democracy, not what it seems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I posted this first on the "Political Mudpit" board, wrong place I guess...

First off I would like to ask that this be kept semi-intellectual with nationalistic breast beating and cross country competitions kept to a minimum, please. Secondly, I would like to state that I am honestly interested in the opinions of posters here of. This post is not meant to ridicule or deride any specific country but rather, to come to a better understanding of the international community. With that being said I will begin.

My question is: In your humble opinion, is Russian democracy legitamate or not. By not, I ask is it just not all it's cracked up to be or is it an actual front, is it fake?
As a follow up question, I would like to ask what your opinion is on the validity of the link posted.

Everyone is free to weigh in on this subject but I would especially like Russian citizens or former Russian citizens to give their opinions as they have first hand knowledge.

I personally feel that democracy in Russia is not all it is cracked up to be. Whether it is an actual fake meant to decieve I do not know. My reasons being are thus: Russia has a history of being ruled by autocracy with their serfs being emancipated only in the late 19th century, Russia was quickly converted from age old traditions to very foreign democracy, many Russians I feel are disallusioned with the new regime and would like a return to the time when Russia was a superpower (by what ever means), Russia is currently presidented by an ex-KGB man, elections are thought to be heavilly corrupted, Putin is basically assured re-election and tends to heavilly focus on Russia's military, Russian military meneuvers are being based off old Soviet meneuvers which were designed to simulate an attack on the U.S. and allies, a presidentail candidate for the upcoming elections was allegedly kidnapped and drugged, I have also run into many think-tanks which question the validity of Russian democracy, the list goes on. As for the validity of the link, I'm not sure. However, the more you read on the page(s) the more valid it seems to become. My two cents.

I would like to reitorate that this is not an attack on Russia, I hold a deep respect for Russia and her people. I would just like others to weigh in on the subject. Thank you.

The Final Phase

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Sigh, well I guess no one else is interested in even theorizing on this. Well I'm continuously interested, if anyone knows any links which pertain to this please post them.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Russia is not democracy, and never will be. I think irs more like dictatorship.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I kinda agree. Unless they stay democratic for at least 2 generations or perhaps they slowly introduce reforms over a period of time. Anyone else?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Here's my make take on it;

If you know the bible then you know that Russia aka The Soviet Union cannot be trusted. In fact Gorbachev being the 8th leader fits the bill when one reads Rev. 17:10,11

[10] And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
[11] And the beast THAT WAS, and IS NOT, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

There is more but Im not in the mood to preach. People could care less. SOON THEY WILL! Zee

top topics

join