It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baldness cure by 2010

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I recently posted a thread about Bio-technology, and its rapid increasing pace, well now it appears a cure for baldness is just around the corner. This could be on the market in 3-5 years, if not sooner.

SAN FRANCISCO - In its short history, biotechnology has targeted a wide range of ailments including cancer, Alzheimer's disease and even world hunger.

Now it's taking on baldness, one of man's greatest vanities.

In a hair-raising experiment, scientists reported Sunday they had successfully induced bald mice to grow new locks after being implanted with stem cells.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

I could cry tears of joy. There is nothing, I mean nothing that makes me more self conscious about myself than the loss of my hair. Of course I simply shave my head so people assume that my baldness is a choice and not some horrible twist of genetic fate. Still... this is wonderful, and hopefully once released on the market it will be affordable, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Thanks for posting this.... my follicles still have some hope.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I want it NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gimme gimme gimme gimme.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

The thing is, this will create "new follicles". You will have pretty much a full head of hair, without ever having to worry about it. Just as someone who has bad teeth, they can get braces (though this too will change for the better) the same can, and will be done with your hair.

I thankfully do not have a balding problem. But it is not humanly possible to maintain all hair follicles that you were born with throughout a human life span. So this is something that really will benefit everyone.

The thing about future bio-tech, it will be relatively affordable to the masses.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Well just the same, you my friend have delivered a message of hope this evening. It might not mean a lot to some people, but to me this is absolutely terrific. Woo Hoo!!!

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Peepers is a freak with no hair on top of head. Peepers dreams of having hair again and looks dashing with long black hair like when Peepers was young. So 1 and a half years and Peepers can get hair... OK!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Cures for baldness have been promised for over a decade now, and yet nothing has come to fruition. I wouldn't get your hopes up folks.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Got dignity? I'd take being bald over the ill-gotten gains of that research. Given my family history I'd say that's definitely gonna happen too so I'm not bluffing. So be it, those who embrace altering their own dna for more hair, or to live forever, or to sprout an exoskeleton are welcome to that world, good luck.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George is trying to order this baldness cure from China. "Why would they let it out of the country? There would be no baldness, it'd be like a race of supermen." And yes I would give my right eye for something like this to be true. I still won't get my hopes up.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

Erm. Stem cells.
Not genetic manipulation.
You are familiar with stem cells right?
FYI:

Stem cells are cells found in most, if not all, multi-cellular organisms. They are characterized by the ability to renew themselves through mitotic cell division and differentiating into a diverse range of specialized cell types. Research in the stem cell field grew out of findings by Canadian scientists Ernest A. McCulloch and James E. Till in the 1960s.[1][2] The two broad types of mammalian stem cells are: embryonic stem cells that are found in blastocysts, and adult stem cells that are found in adult tissues. In a developing embryo, stem cells can differentiate into all of the specialized embryonic tissues. In adult organisms, stem cells and progenitor cells act as a repair system for the body, replenishing specialized cells, but also maintain the normal turnover of regenerative organs, such as blood, skin or intestinal tissues.

As stem cells can be grown and transformed into specialized cells with characteristics consistent with cells of various tissues such as muscles or nerves through cell culture, their use in medical therapies has been proposed. In particular, embryonic cell lines, autologous embryonic stem cells generated through therapeutic cloning, and highly plastic adult stem cells from the umbilical cord blood or bone marrow are touted as promising candidates.

Source: Stem Cells @ Wikipedia.com

Otherwords stem cells to for hair folicles will not in any concievable way make you grow an exoskeleton.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
er so u think there's no genetic manipulation in there... ok

anyhow i was more referring to the labs where the experiments are done and what suffering has been inflicted to get to this point, which imo is unjustified by peeps like yourself to regrow some hair and sooth some bruised ego.

i personally don't think anything justifies what has been done to the animals (and humans) to achieve this stuff. like i said others are welcome to it - and the side effects of such a morally bankrupt research regime.

the exeskeleton was a joke, but in some cases perhaps not...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Go ahead and read up about the subject and deny ignorance.

Nothing was done to animals or humans for stem cell research.

Please know what your talking about before you talk about it.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant
Go ahead and read up about the subject and deny ignorance.
Nothing was done to animals or humans for stem cell research.
Please know what your talking about before you talk about it.

LOL? www.google.com.au...

edit: And did u even read the OP article, allow me quote:

Originally posted by West Coast

Now it's taking on baldness, one of man's greatest vanities.
In a hair-raising experiment, scientists reported Sunday they had successfully induced bald mice to grow new locks after being implanted with stem cells.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

For an "idealistic free thinker and observer of humanity" you sure know how to filter out the things you don't want to see.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Animals have been used for experiments for human benefits for quite a while, I assure you that this is no cheap gimmick, this is the bio-tech field. The success and failure rate of both Propecia along with Rogaine cannot be compared, as they are not similar treaments. I suggest a thorough read through of what stem cell research is proposing, and just how radical the implications will be. They will be able to grow and harvest organs that were grown in test tubes, this truly will revolutionize the world we live in today, and tomorrow. The coming decades will be much different then what we are, and have grown accustomed to in todays world. The year 2020 will very much so be a different world then the one we currently inhabit today.

Additionally, these "stem cells" are not grafted from an aborted fetus, but are infact grafted from skin cells, along with the imbilacle cord of infants. The US is going about this the most moral way possible, this in direct contrast to Europe.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by West Coast]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
sheesh whats wrong with being balled?????

I've been going balled since I was 16 and its never bothered me. It just means I dont have to spend an hour on my hair in the morning!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110
sheesh whats wrong with being balled?????

I've been going balled since I was 16 and its never bothered me. It just means I dont have to spend an hour on my hair in the morning!

As you can see from responses in this thread, and how often it has been viewed, I would say it matters to quite alot of people. Now, if that is truly how you feel, then this is not a problem for you, however, you are the exception, not the rule. Women, though it is rare, do experience cases of balding, this will greatly benefit women, along with men who do not share the same kind of optimism you do about your baldness.

Diseases such as Alopecia take hairs in splotches, while leaving other hair follicles intact, they are saying that this medical breakthrough will successfully treat alopecia, which until now, was not treatable.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Bald mice LOL! Someone call PETA immediately.

I do hope they meant hairless mice (which is bad enough). Engineering bald mice would just be too much.

[edit on 5/26/2008 by beezwaxes]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm the exeption I know ALOT of bald people, its in both sides of my family and alot of the people I used to work with were bald (maybe its more common in the north of england?).

I agree with you on the medical side of it, this would greatly benefit people who have alopecia etc.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think this has a lot to say about society and how the importance of self-image is being over played..

Everyone is always looking for fixitquick solutions to the faults that make us who we are.

I've had grey hairs since I was 19.
Yeah they used to bug me for a short time but when I went through my crazy twenties and decided to shave my hair,then grow it,then perm it,then dye it,then bleach it..Nothing I did changed the fact that I was a dumbass on the inside.

I've cut my own hair since they tried to charge me £60 on a ship (Steiners)
I bought a pair of hair shears for £2 in Palermo and it's been self-serviced ever since..I don't give two figs what it looks like..
I've always got bald patches,thin patches..some slightly longer on one side.

Anyone need a 'Lionel Blair' cut?? gimmee a shout..

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Ummm it's 2010. Where's my bottle of Peanut Butter Solution? (anyone seen THAT film?)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join