It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Poverty Act S.2433

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Drapan

The point here is that we have far too many domestic issues of our own at the moment to even consider foisting another enormous tax plan onto the public. Our lower and middle classes are at their limit already.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Couldn't agree more - charity begins at home, as the saying goes.

YES we have a duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves, but surley our own citizens should come first.

I'm also of the opinion that we should stop giving aid to self-appointed dictators who use the money just to build another palace or corrupt governments who syphon the money off for themselves.

I know people will cry "oh, but the poulation will starve"
But they're ALREADY starving because the money isn't being used for it's intended purpose.

I'm not sure what the solution is, other than UN involvement to oversee the distribution of aid.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

I agree. How can we complain about our taxes going to help people, yet be quite happy with billions of our dollars being spend to finance pointless wars over a resource thats destroying the planet?

Sounds remarkably like hypocrisy to me.
[edit on 14-5-2008 by jimbo999]

It's not hypocrisy at all. Read the U.S. Constitution, Article I. Section 8: The Congress shall have the Power to…raise and support Armies…” (Note: I’m not saying I support this war – because I don’t.) Nevertheless, this is a legitimate power of the United States Government that they may impose upon the citizens. Nothing in there about taxing citizens to give to foreign nations for whatever purposes they desire.

And please don’t try to pretend that all these tin-pot dictators that get a check will use it to make sure their people are well taken care of. The bitter truth is that, ironically, a lot of it will probably be used to purchase more weapons and prop-up governments that are failing because of their oppressive policies. Thus, leading to increased poverty and oppression. It’s like giving money to an addict: do you really think they’ll put it to a good purpose?

The issue is that Obama wants to support something that is totally un-Constitutional and is willing to impose another burden upon the people of the United States that they should not have to bear.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by passenger]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Thank you Senator Obama, just what we need a global tax on the US to fund UN BS. If 845.00 got to those that needed it, I will be surprised. This is just one of the NEW taxes being considered for US taxpayers to be fleeced with. Vote Democratic and this is what they have in store for us.
Zindo

www.nationalledger.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

vote republican and look forward to even more war, poverty, and destruction. ie more of the same crap we've had for the last 8 years.

ever hear of change? global awareness and responsibility?

j.

How about if I don't want to spend my money on overseas wars AND I don't want to spend my money on overseas welfare either? I want it spent here in this country - if it has to be spent at all.

[edit on 5/15/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drapan
There's nothing wrong with this. It's time for you (americans) to take your responsibility, I'm not saying you aren't helping people, but it's far from enough.

:shk: Yeah .. just dig into our pockets a little deeper why don't ya? :shk:

That's a bunch of bunk. Everyone puts their empty hands out and expects the American tax payer to finance their lives. How about those people fix their own pissant countries? How about OPEC countries actually help out?

IF and I stress the word - IF - we are to hand money out - we have our own people to take care of.

Take resonsibility?? Have those countries take responsibility for themselves.

Edited to add -

[edit on 5/15/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

There's nothing wrong with this. It's time for you (americans) to take your responsibility, I'm not saying you aren't helping people, but it's far from enough.

It's not like you would be the first to do it, even small countries like Sweden, does it and we have 9 million citizens and we're a welfare state (one of the top).

Also, Don't only think of yourselves, If you haven't noticed there's other people on this planet as well.

What an ignorant and naive post!

Do a little research and you'll see who has given the most foreign aid over the last 60 years or so - the U.S. All the while your pissant little country is selling crappy cars (saab) and fighter planes to the needy countries of the world.

And don't give us any of the "per capita" BS. Ask anyone on the receiving end of the aid whether "per capita" means anything to them.

[edit on 5/15/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
Sounds good to me. I'll gladly pay to help the brown people rather than bombing them.

This post got a couple stars. But does it sound both racist and elitist to anyone else besides me?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

ever hear of change? global awareness and responsibility?

Ever hear of the fact that middle class America is tired of being raped and that those of us who work for a living have a right to keep what we earn?

Obama = Jimmy Carter II

Typical Marxist 'share the wealth' by raping the working class.

Go knock on OPECs door to get the $$$ to fund Obama's 'true homeland' of Africa. Leave us and our money alone.

FF,

Please save the wording of this post. There are about 1,000 other past and future threads where it could be put to good use.

Espeicially the O(bs)ama = Jimmy Carter II line. and the "Go knock on OPECs door to get the $$$ ..." line.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
There are about 1,000 other past and future threads where it could be put to good use.

Feel free to use this as you wish.

It's true, isn't it?
Always with their hand out to American taxpayers.
Never wondering where the heck OPEC countries are.
Never encouraging other countries to clean up their own messes.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You don't think these countries tries to take responsibility for themselves? Do you think these countries leaders enjoy asking for/receiving help?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I don't disagree, You've probably given the most of any nation. But when you wage war (read bomb people back to medieval times) it kinda takes away from that.

Oh and by the way, at least SAAB knows the expression Fuel Efficiency. And also, you're aware that you buy weapons from us, right?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You don't think these countries tries to take responsibility for themselves? Do you think these countries leaders enjoy asking for/receiving help?

Another naive post.

Yes, the leaders don't mind asking for help. Why? Because it comes to the leaders first. They get to decide what to keep for themselves and what, if anything, to pass along to their people. Look at what's going on with the aid to Myanmar for example.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It depends on the country.

For example - this week in Burma - they refused help for a long time but then when the govenrment finally took the food, they REPACKAGED it and took off all international words and put pictures and names of their generals on the food. They used it as propaganda and only gave it to those the government wanted to help.

North Korea did/does the same thing. They'll take the aid, but then use it for their own military and government elite people.

The Palestinian Authority looooooooooves international 'aid'. Problem is .. it never gets to the people as aid. It ends up in the swiss bank accounts of the leaders (arafat had billions) and is used to buy military supplies.

Continually taking aid from America just does two things -

1 - it creates a dependency upon Americans
2 - it pisses off Americans to have to continually be FORCED to support others.

Again - take the empty hands and go knock on OPECs door.

OPEC OPEC OPEC OPEC
Not America.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Of course there's those kinda leaders. What can you expect from a military dictatorship (or whatever they like to call themselves) with more or less closed borders?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It doesn't create dependency upon americans, it creates dependency upon the rest of the world. You're not the only one giving.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't think anyone's saying "Fund the poor through higher taxes."

rather, they're looking at the taxes and saying "Holy geez man, 50% goes to FIGHTING A FEW TERRORISTS?!"

All that money, and all those resources going over to a couple of countries, all in the name of fighting terrorism (remember, the excuses have changed three times since starting the war, it wasn't always terrorism.).
All those resources and manpower being placed over there GIVES the terrorists what they want... fewer people to stop them here at home... not to mention a whole whack of US Weapons they can now use to go after other people.

This war is completely backwards... it's like the whole notion of what guerrilla tactics are has gone out the window.

You do remember guerrilla tactics right?

Drag your enemy out en force, ambush them with planted bombs, and by injuring a few to slow down the many, then gain a hold of their weapons. Meanwhile, their home base is empty and ready to be ransacked.

And the US is walking right into it.

Why not just stop handing the terrorists the tax money, and put it to good use at home where it's needed?

[edit on 15-5-2008 by johnsky]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

actually US the military expidentures are not hurtin americans at all, it's implicit liabilities of the state to the poeple, I. E. Social Security and Medicare. by 2040 we'll be in 45 trillion in debt!
military spending is about 4% of GDP, compare that to about 38% in ww2, and about 12% in vietnam and towards the end of the cold war.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

1: There is no "middle class"; WE ARE ALL FREAKING POOR AND WORRY ABOUT MONEY ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

2: The people in power want to destroy the "middle class" because we do something scary sometimes...we think.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

We know full well how to fight a guerrilla war and use those tactics. Unfortunately we have had our hands tied because of the need to follow that little pain in the butt Geneva Convention. Something that our local al-Queda refuses to adhere to. If we send in more SEAL teams and Special Forces, our own media labels them Killing squads. We are not the ones bombing bazzars and food markets and killing they're own people. We have won every pitched battle in Iraq. We don't hide behind civilians in they're houses and shoot at the enemy. I have to believe you've never ben in a gun fight. If you have then you should understand whats realy the problem. If we intend to stay,and we will no mater whos in office, then untie the hands of the men and women who are there and LET THEM WIN,PERIOD.
Zindo

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's a lose-lose situation for the US when it comes to acceptance.
We spend money on an unpopular war and the world hates us.
We give money to the world and it's never gonna be enough. I can already hear it "why did that country get more?"

We can provide the "fish" but as soon as we try to "teach them how to fish" they will accuse us of trying to tell them how they should lead their lives and their countries, thus creating even more hate and resentment towards the US.

Lose-lose.

Where is the candidate that will say to the world "sorry folks, we have enough problems at home to help all y'all, so kiss my red white and blue"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join