It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Theorized Planet X's Orbit Would be Inherently Unstable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This seems wholly random, but given all the recent hype over the NASA "announcement" (it was a supernova), I think the timing is interesting in releasing this.

This is a paper, drafted by someone in NASA, which basically says that a Planet X would be impossible as its orbit would be inherently unstable. Does that mean it would drift off into space or into the sun? Don't know, but there's no way Nibiru would be hidden for thousands of years. In fact, it's orbit would decay after 150 years.

Unfortunately for
our would-be invaders, the L3 point is a weak saddle point ... The real, positive eigenvalue spells disaster for Planet X. Its orbit is expo-
nentially unstable, with an e-folding time of roughly  = 150 years.

Well, this seems to nail the coffin shut on the wild Planet X theories out there...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I do not understand much about astronomy, but about a month ago NASA scientists stated that there could be several planets almost as big as Earth in the Solar system outer borders. Japanese scientists are going to show one of those (though much smaller then Earth). So how it connects with this paper?
And i do not believe in the idea of aliens,invasion and such. Just i was amazed by the issue then and puzzled now.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'll see you that nail and raise you a Sitchin Crowbar.

no nasa kid is gonna douse this flame baby.

-

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Hmm, putting one foot in but leaving the other out, just something about this just screams "Wait and see first" We all know how Nasa loves to wait and see what the public will do first before they release anything, Interesting to say nonetheless though.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Unfortunately for our would-be invaders, the L3 point is a weak saddle point

You need to understand something here. The L3 Lagrangian point is one of the "equilibrium" points with respect to Earth, its orbit, and the Sun. The L3 point is the position in Earth's orbit that is directly opposite our planet's own. In other words, the other side of the Sun. Therefore, this article is stating that any mythical planet that was in such a position would move away from the L3 point within 150 years, which basically means that it would have become detectable to Earth based observers a long time ago.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with objects in the outer solar system.

top topics

join